Question about SEE/ASL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just happen to have a brochure from various universities. I grabbed UT brochure and see SEE course offered as language credit. I'll be more than happy to mail it to you.

Yeah, right. So, you are a high school student that is looking at different universities and have requested brochures from them.:laugh2: Make sure you don't let any of them see what you have posted here, or you won't get accepted to a community college.:laugh2:

Scan that brochure and post it here.

Yeah, right. So, you are a high school student that is looking at different universities and have requested brochures from them.:laugh2: Make sure you don't let any of them see what you have posted here, or you won't get accepted to a community college.:laugh2:
You also have a poor logic. Why would a high school student in 2011 have a brochures from 1997?:eek3: Time machine?

Penn State isn't a community college. It is one of the Ivy League schools. Do you want some bread with that jelly?

I just happen to have a brochure from various universities. I grabbed UT brochure and see SEE course offered as language credit. I'll be more than happy to mail it to you.
Just scan it and post it.

I have a DVD about Lilian Beard. She was a CODA who created the intepreter registry in the U.S. A real inspiration.

You also have a poor logic. Why would a high school student in 2011 have a brochures from 1997?:eek3: Time machine?

My logic suggests that you're prolly grasping at straws to defend your position.

Sign Language - History of Sign Language

"What we call American Sign Language actually has roots in Europe. It is also known that in the 18th century, the teacher of the deaf Abbe de l'Epee of France developed an early form of sign language that contributed to American Sign Language. The Abbe de l'Epee developed a system of manual French similar in concept to Signed Exact English."

:laugh2: You are kidding, right?

Like I said, you need to expand your knowledge beyond doing a Google search. And please, please, read what you copy and paste.:laugh2:

I went to Penn State. That was my school.

The source is from University of Tennessee. It was back in 1997. I'll google it for you, one moment.

Edit: American Sign Language or Exact Signed English

and from your source -

Findings

The purpose of this study is to determine which communication mode, ASL or ESE, will more clearly convey meaning to a deaf child thus increasing the child's comprehension of the presented material. The data collected as a result of this preliminary study seem to support American Sign Language as the tool more capable of conveying information. As can be seen in Figure 1, the first story, presented in ESE, elicited only two correct responses out of a possible four. The second story, presented in ASL, elicited three correct responses. The third and fourth stories, presented in ESE and ASL respectively, elicited four of four correct responses.

Conclusion

The data collected for and as a result of this study do seem to suggest that American Sign Language is a more capable tool than Exact Signed English for transmitting information to this particular participant. The total number of correctly answered questions is higher, the number of prompts and redirections is lower, and the total number of participant initiated interactions is much higher. Despite the apparent support of ASL that these data suggest, it is clear that more research is needed. As this is an oral child enrolled in an oral educational program, there was considerable concern that too many stories could be detrimental. Respecting the wishes of the parents, only four stories were presented to the participant. Theirs are perfectly valid concerns. However, in future studies, a greater number of stories presented may lessen the affects of the newness of the activity and unfamiliarity of the researcher. Also, a larger pool of participants would increase data and allow for further comparisons. Clearly, more research is needed to determine whether these results can be generalized to larger populations of deaf students. Further research should also be performed to determine the broader implications of this study and others like it.

I'm sorry that you missed out a lot of information because of SEE. I'm wondering if those colleges let you graduate out of pity....

Well, if ASL is not a language because it is not English or it "is" French, then what are you suggest something? SEE is no help because it is not a visual language.

ASL is it's own language, English is a language. I didn't see where someone wrote that ASL is not a language. If it was written, obviously that person was wrong.

Why would anyone have brochures from 1997? Are you a hoarder?

Penn State isn't a community college. It is one of the Ivy League schools. Do you want some bread with that jelly?

I don't know. Why? Get to scanning and posting.

SEE is a fabricated, cumbersome teaching tool.

Prolly? Grasping at straws? Sorry, I don't understand ASL.

Grasping at straws is a well known English idiom. Obviously, you have difficulty with all language. Typical of those raised in an oral environment.

ASL is it's own language, English is a language. I didn't see where someone wrote that ASL is not a language. If it was written, obviously that person was wrong.

I just said "IF".

hey buddy... Penn State is not part of Ivy League... It's a state school :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back