Provide interpreter?

E

eternity

Who is responsibility to provide interpreter for?

For instance... hospital, big company, school, and anywhere?

Do I (we -deaf people) have to get interpreter by ourselves?

--I made a phone call at st joseph hospital. I requested an interpreter for tomorrow appt with bone surgeon. A rep said You will need to bring your interpreter. I said No it is not my responsibility to bring the interpreter for my appointment. It is the law that they have to provide me an interpreter.

eternity said:

--I made a phone call at st joseph hospital. I requested an interpreter for tomorrow appt with bone surgeon. A rep said You will need to bring your interpreter. I said No it is not my responsibility to bring the interpreter for my appointment. It is the law that they have to provide me an interpreter.
Any agency accepting Federal funds (and that includes Medicare and Medicaid) must provide interpreters for the Deaf. That means, it is the responsibility of the hospital or doctor to hire and pay for the terp.
http://www.nad.org/site/pp.asp?c=foINKQMBF&b=92505

It is the Deaf patient's responsibility to let the hospital or doctor know that you will require a terp. The patient should give the hospital as much advance notice as possible. Most Deaf patients inform the hospital at the same time that the appointment is made.

Public schools and colleges are responsible for hiring and paying for terps for the students. Schools providing terps for Deaf parents is not always clearly defined. Some schools do that, no problem. Some schools use the education terps from their staff; sometimes OK, sometimes not. Some schools think it is OK for the hearing child to interpret for the Deaf parent. WRONG!

Government agencies must provide terps (Social Security office, Federal Civil Service, VR offices, etc.) for their employees and clients.

http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/adahom1.htm

Private companies; it depends. The size of the company, whether or not it does government contract work, etc.

http://www.nad.org/site/pp.asp?c=foINKQMBF&b=99540

Last edited:
Yes Reba is correct....:)

Eternity, They do the same thing with me too, I let them know about the ADA law. They have no choice but get one anyways. If you have a copy of the ADA law you could show them what is required on their part. ;)

If you have a copy of the ADA law you could show them what is required on their part.

There is no reason to show them ADA law. If I want an interpreter and they would have to provide for one! Before appointment..

If they refuse to provide one for me then I will not go there for appointment. That is simple!

If they refuse to provide one for me then I will not go there for appointment. That is simple!

Yeah, but make sure you cancel the appointment because they can charge you if you refuse to cancel the appointment. It's best to show them a copy or talk to the supervisor because there are some people who plain don't know that it's their responsibility to get your one when you ask.

I was told that by one person when I called this place that they can't do that until I e-mailed the head of the department and they got me one with zero fuss :D. Actually, it was a captioner...anyway...

eternity said:

No you or we dont have to call and get an interpreter. Why? U or we will have to take out of your Pocket and pay her or him $$$ urself. Not business or hospital. Today many business or hospital now complain with Interpreter Service which cost too much to pay. They are now tend to avoid to pay and don't think that they have "fund" to pay an interpreter service. They cost about $75 dollar or more per hourly plus Mileage cost if drive out of town. Also, I think They don't want to hire an interpreter for another reason IF deaf person is not Show up and what happen? They still have to pay her or him as well. They might be upset about it and had a bad experience with that.So it is not cheap for hire An interpreter.
Mommyof3

Mommyof3 said:
No you or we dont have to call and get an interpreter. Why? U or we will have to take out of your Pocket and pay her or him $$$ urself. Not business or hospital. Today many business or hospital now complain with Interpreter Service which cost too much to pay. They are now tend to avoid to pay and don't think that they have "fund" to pay an interpreter service. They cost about $75 dollar or more per hourly plus Mileage cost if drive out of town. Also, I think They don't want to hire an interpreter for another reason IF deaf person is not Show up and what happen? They still have to pay her or him as well. They might be upset about it and had a bad experience with that.So it is not cheap for hire An interpreter.
Mommyof3
thats' true. But the hosiptal or doctor i go to they're totally willing to pay for an interpreter for my son's dr. appt, or my appt. they're willing to do anything to provide an interpreter.. and its nice.

however the LAWYERS are A**HOLES they refuse to provide an interpreter cuz it cost $120 a hour or more.. and some lawyers earn less than that and they lose profit.. this bothers me a bit..

Reba pointed out clearly who is the respondsible party when it comes to providing an interpreter and like DeafSCUBA98 also indicated with attorneys unwilling to provide interpreters for which I've noticed is gradually on the rise whereas lawyers are taking a stance...simply they're either refusing (or abhorrent) to 'pay' for such services or stepping over the fine line of honoring the specific needs for the Deaf....(talk about some money-pinchers or showing greed on there part!)

Checking with your local 'ADA' chapter/office can provide you with a compilation of businesses and public service places/sectors that will obtain an interpreter on your behalf when requested or needed....

Roadrunner said:
Checking with your local 'ADA' chapter/office can provide you with a compilation of businesses and public service places/sectors that will obtain an interpreter on your behalf when requested or needed....
Also, most private professional interpreting agencies have a service coordinator who "knows the ropes" and knows how to deal with businesses and services. Our agency coordinator knows how to politely but firmly explain the ADA requirements to businesses and services, and knows the right people to contact when there is a problem.

Yeah, but make sure you cancel the appointment because they can charge you if you refuse to cancel the appointment.

Yes, If i want to cancel the appt due no interpreter and I would let them know. So they will not charge me.

Today many business or hospital now complain with Interpreter Service which cost too much to pay.

Too bad for them. That's ADA law- They will have to provide one. If not then we will have to file ada against them and it will cost them more too.

I think They don't want to hire an interpreter for another reason IF deaf person is not Show up and what happen? They still have to pay her or him as well. They might be upset about it and had a bad experience with that

I think that is silly reason if deaf person did not show up. It's deaf person's responsibility to let them know in ahead of time. Otherwise they can charge them for not let them know.

however the LAWYERS are A**HOLES they refuse to provide an interpreter cuz it cost $120 a hour or more.. and some lawyers earn less than that and they lose profit.. this bothers me a bit..

Your lawyers are making a mistake for not provide you one. I have two lawyers and they know ada law that they would have to provide one for me. It works well.

DeafSCUBA98 said:
thats' true. But the hosiptal or doctor i go to they're totally willing to pay for an interpreter for my son's dr. appt, or my appt. they're willing to do anything to provide an interpreter.. and its nice.

Hold a minute.

Do I understand you correctly?

Doctors, hospital, lawyers etc has to cover an interpreter cost? :confused:

The interpreter cost for doctors, hosptial, lawyers, parents evening, etc are suppose to cover by Interpreter Agency? I can see why that doctors, lawyers, etc refused to pay the interpreter cost by their own pocket for you.

I apply Agency for an interpreter when I has an important appointment with doctor, hospital, lawyer, parents evening etc. They cover it for me.

Interesting, Reba!

If I request an interpreter then has to apply interpreter agency myself when there´re parent evenings, important appointments etc.

If there´re important appointment with doctors or hospitals then I get interpreter agency to make an appointment with them until they agree with the date to match interpreter´s free time because we dont have many interpreters in Bavaria. They will inform me when the date is okay with interpreter.

I has right to request my wish interpreter. Interpreter Agency respect my wish to choose any interpreter what I wish.

Liebling:-))) said:
Interesting, Reba!

If I request an interpreter then has to apply interpreter agency myself when there´re parent evenings, important appointments etc.

If there´re important appointment with doctors or hospitals then I get interpreter agency to make an appointment with them until they agree with the date to match interpreter´s free time because we dont have many interpreters in Bavaria. They will inform me when the date is okay with interpreter.

I has right to request my wish interpreter. Interpreter Agency respect my wish to choose any interpreter what I wish.
The way it works here:
1. The Deaf patient makes a medical appointment at the hospital.
2. The hospital receptionist contacts the interpreter agency, and requests an interpreter for that appointment.
3. The interpreter agency assigns an interpreter for that appointment time and place.
4. If the patient is a repeat client, that client's terp preference is on file, and the agency will try to schedule the preferred terp for that client, if there is no schedule conflict.
5. The terp agency bills the hospital.

Let's talk about work situation.

Suppose if I'm being the only one deaf employee
in the entire corporation
they invited me to go to their huge
Christmas dinner and dance party so
do I have the right to make a request
for an interpreter there ? So that way
I'd be able to enjoy having conversations
with them almost the same way as them....

Yes or No ?

eternity said:

Within 24 hours notice, businesses, employers (over a minimum # of employees), school, hospitals, etc... all are required to find interpreter for Deaf clients.

Hi all, my 2 hospitals (ENT clinic at county hospital and Primary Care Clinic at Fairview University Medical Center. both are flexible to get an interpreter for me, because they knew ADA laws, except FUMC emergency room didn't get provide, simple I can send a "Interpreter 911" on the pager, and replyed back to me, they're on they way to FUMC emergency room. the interpreter arrived at FUMC emergency room, an interpreter warned FUMC it's required by ADA laws, FUMC are responibility to pay for it.. the county hospital for clinic appts, the reps called in county hospital interpreter service.. County's own interpreter service from Hennepin County Social Services.. FUMC clinics provided an interpreter for me

Interpreter 911 for emergencies only for police and hospital emergency room on the 2-way pagers.

They must provide an interpreter!

Hi Eternity,
Your from Southern California Right?
So, am I.
St. Joseph's must provide an interpreter for you.
Thats what the ADA law requires.
I'm an interpreter myself and thats not right for any person deaf, or HOH not to have that service.
If you never need an interprerter feel free to contact me.
Margie
Dir. of Communication Services
OCDAC
www.deafadvocacy.org

If people in the Southland need to have access to interpreters, theyre going to have to start paying attention to our health care lists we publish each quarter of deaf friendly hospitals and other healthcare providers.

Enforcement of Title III is extremely difficult everywhere at this time and NAD is powerless to produce real enforcement results. They just go 'blah blah blah' on a website and nothing more. The DOJ is backlogged to the point that enforcement is almost nonexistant. If someone has money to spend, they can produce the enforcement. NAD is very deep in the hole and the DOJ's Disability rights funding has been cut big time.

Deaf rights are falling apart big time now and all the deafs only care about now is Video Relay Service and Sidekick's. And I believe I brought this up in a thread back then only to be treated as a little girl crying Wolf!

Richard

Back