Profoundly deaf - anyone like me, have CI?

Hey JClarke!

I've had a CI since Dec 2008. It's definitely helped me hear a lot more. In fact, when I go back to the HA on the other ear, I'm surprised how LITTLE I can hear with the HA. However, I am not at that point where I can understand without lipreading easily. I can pick up a few phrases here and there without lipreading. CI also helps me to lipread. There is ONE big con: the expectation of others. I am so sick and tired of people asking me "So can you hear now?". Everyone says that they "know" that it isn't a cure, but they sure don't act like it. I can understand why. If you're doing surgery, it must be important/big thing, hence big results, right? However, what they don't understand is that, if you understand speech well, isn't THAT somewhat the result of a cure? Once you understand speech with no lipreading, what else is there??? I think hearing people just don't comprehend the large range of "understanding" by listening only. The questioning/interrogating was worse in the beginning, but now they are starting to back off. Whew...

If I had the choice to do a CI all over again, I'd still definitely do it, but in secret, so that people wouldn't know about it and ask me constantly about it. Geez! :)

My advice: Don't expect a cure and just don't let others bother you! Good luck with everything!!!

Hey JClarke!

I've had a CI since Dec 2008. It's definitely helped me hear a lot more. In fact, when I go back to the HA on the other ear, I'm surprised how LITTLE I can hear with the HA. However, I am not at that point where I can understand without lipreading easily. I can pick up a few phrases here and there without lipreading. CI also helps me to lipread.
Yes, it does also kind of sound like my situation. And there were times that it also appears that I'm also lipreading better. For instance, like in the morning when I have the TV on without my CI and I'm lipreading some of the close-up speakers pretty good. I think a factor is that I now have a better idea on the articulation of some of the words, thus making the connection to what the speaker is saying.

The assessment appointment is tomorrow morning. :eek3:

Good luck. Now we have to suffer along with you to find out what happens?

I hope you are coming back tomorrow to tell us what you find out. :cool2:

Good luck. Now we have to suffer along with you to find out what happens?

I hope you are coming back tomorrow to tell us what you find out. :cool2:
I will update straight after the appointment, as I will be returning to work afterwards.
The appointment is only two streets away from here. :)

Well, guys here is the update

I went to the initial appointment this morning, with my interpeter and along with my mother. We have had a lengthy chat on what my lifestyle is like and about my hearing and etc - all the basic questions they asked me for.

Me and my mother asked questions and basically told few things from the past. I told them that I found my old hearing aids, (which are analog unfortunately) but it stills works, and I am wearing them now for the first time in 8 years. Will wear them for the time being.

My mother spoke to the audi about my previous ABR (auditory Brainstem resposne) which was taken more than 20 years ago - but now with the technology. I have been appointed to go to Sydney for a new one, which is Electronic auditory brainstem response testing, with Professor Gibson and will be back for the second appointment on the 16th August.

I had a standard hearing test - it was not good, the hearing aids is highly likey to be wearing down or not working - (it seems to work accordingly to the whistling sounds)

For now, I have been asked to talk to the cochlear implant receipents with similar background as mine as there is around 3 - 4 within the region so will get the time to discuss more and ask questions basesd on their experience and their background as well. Also I have been encouraged to attend one of the twice a year BBQ with the other C.I recepients in Sydney to discuss with these people based on their experiences with their C.I's.

In early 2012, I will head back to the Australian hearing centre to ask if I can obtain some new digital hearing aids (the rules will be changing from 1st Jan 2012 whereas age limit is increased to 26 from 21).

Yes, it's possible that your hearing aids could be a little affected from being at least 8 years old or more.

Let us know how the result went in August.

I thought you can only get free hearing aids if you're on pension?

Let us know how the result went in August.

I thought you can only get free hearing aids if you're on pension?
Nope, the rules changes takes in effect from 2012.
but don't know the full details though, however I was told by the new chairman of Deafness Forum. :eek:

Turns out my hearing aids are working fine. The volume was turned down very low.
I increased the volume, I found my voice. My right ear was like it woke up from 8 year hibernation :shock:

Turns out my hearing aids are working fine. The volume was turned down very low.
I increased the volume, I found my voice. My right ear was like it woke up from 8 year hibernation :shock:

All the best to you, JClarke. Keep us updated! :wave:

Good, glad to hear that. Yeah that happens sometime. There were times that I went "uh-oh" thinking I need to change the battery or something only to see that the volume was somehow set too low, sometime unintentionally.

Good, glad to hear that. Yeah that happens sometime. There were times that I went "uh-oh" thinking I need to change the battery or something only to see that the volume was somehow set too low, sometime unintentionally.
Yes, that is correct
I might ask my audi to do the hearing test again when I see my audi in august.
but for now, I'll wear my hearing aids to get use to it so far, it is good. But my hearing aid on my left is rubbing my left ear and it is sore but I'll be right :lol:

my left woke up finally - but tinnitus hit soon after.
but it is not too bad, I can deal with it :lol:

my left woke up finally - but tinnitus hit soon after.
but it is not too bad, I can deal with it :lol:

Does that mean you didn't have tinnitus until you put your hearing aids back in a couple of days ago?

Some of it could just be that your ear isn't used to receiving some sounds after not getting some auditory input in it for some time. It could go away as your ear get more used to receiving the sounds.

Some of it could just be that your ear isn't used to receiving some sounds after not getting some auditory input in it for some time. It could go away as your ear get more used to receiving the sounds.
That would be the case.

The interesting thing is - I could hear (but muffled though) the loud music from my car, loud voices from friends when they talk (like one deaf gal, used their voice, & an interpreter laughing out loud) all heard from my right ear with my hearing aid. I dont know why but...

That would be the case.

The interesting thing is - I could hear (but muffled though) the loud music from my car, loud voices from friends when they talk (like one deaf gal, used their voice, & an interpreter laughing out loud) all heard from my right ear with my hearing aid. I dont know why but...
Some of it could be the localization of the sound. Assuming you drive on your left?

Back