Postwhoring, when too much is too much?

Should severe postwhoring be ignored?

• Yes, it contributes to the forum.

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Maybe, limit some postwhoring to certain threads only.

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • No, it degrades the quality of this forum.

Votes: 16 31.4%
  • I dont know/I dont care.

Votes: 17 33.3%

• Total voters
Another thing about postwhoring is the bandwidth. Thanks for bringing that up pimpdaddyposse.

Whenever you view a webpage, it is usually saved for offline viewing. When a webpage has new information, it will reload everything again and that uses up bandwidth. If one person views a page with 10 kb of information on it and adds a post. When it is viewed again, 10 kb plus 2 kb of his recent post is added. When that person replies again, it's 12 kb plus 2 kb of his new post. Everytime this happens, the bandwidth is being used almost exponentially and that isn't good for the person who is running this site.

No, this site isn't free. Our wonderful administrator, Alex, is doing us a wonderful favor by allowing us to use this site for free.

Now, back to the post whoring issue... usage of emoticons and avatars. It is usually better to link images for avatars and posts offsite. What is offsite? That is when you use an image from another webpage (if that website permits). The reason why this is good is because it doesn't use AllDeaf's bandwidth for those images. If you use the upload feature for your images, you are storing images on the AllDeaf server and that eats up a lot more of its bandwidth. It's okay if you do it once a while but I've noticed that some of you use the upload feature too much.

Another thing about post whoring is how annoying it becomes for those members who use modem connection. I know that some members have DSL or other high-speed connection. You probably think that you're fine, but what about those with modem connection? Yes, I use one of the fastest connections offered here at RIT but I still try my best to keep my posts and images at their minimum. I did go home to my parents' house for Christmas and boy, moderating AllDeaf was hell for me at that time! Why? Because of their damn 56k modem connection. It took me hours to do my job because several members decided to be post whores. Some of them even uploaded images that were greater than 100 kb in size and that really hurt. Some of you may have noticed that images in some members' signatures are over 100 kb in size. I have done what I can to remind members to reduce the size and yet, some members will remove it and upload something else that's still too big. Sure, you want to express a lot in your signature, but that's what those "Ask Me" or "Introduction" threads are for! Tell us all about yourself there. If you want people to know more, link them to your webpage or to your other thread that tells us about you. Don't put everything in your signature... which eats up AllDeaf's bandwidth and that is like being a postwhore!

Glad Kuifje75 brought it up. Admit that I did consider for being postwhore last month after joined AD on april 5 this year. But later, realized I cannot do that like ultra postwhores are. After I see some ppl put post with only one word or smiley face turned me OFF. Feel like repeatly or BORED.

I know AD is pretty addiction. Just enjoy view various of posts and saying something more interested. What I notice at some postwhore (not all) cares about number of posts for beat rest of us. Really silly!!!! Who care about NUMBERS for make the record for make more posts. Look at my saying. only we cannot replace NUMBERS are Social Security Number and Birthdates without court approved. Not worry about numbers even feel "BEST postwhore in AD". There are no such for best or worst. Just enjoy fun and feel sweet addiction from AD!!!

Enjoying to know each other by saying more words!!! Learn something so news. One of the reasons I feel addiction cuz of people's words as feedback. What did we learn from postwhore for put one word or one smiley face?? NOTHING!!!!! because i felt one word or smiley face make me their having communication problem. Make me wonder if true postwhore tend to say one word repeatly in real LIFE?????? that's my question.

What if AD plan to upgrade from 2.03 to 3.0 then postwhores will reset at 0!!!! cannot keep stupid record transfer from 2.0 to 3.0. think about it!!!!

GL74, please consider about our feeling. Show ur respect with wise.

yes, of course I do repect for this website, but I don't see any complain by Alex, if he complain then Iwill do always respect him as well, but why kuifje75 bring it out. kuifje75 is not owner. well what is the points?? Lasza

Originally posted by GoldenLeaf74
yes, of course I do repect for this website, but I don't see any complain by Alex, if he complain then Iwill do always respect him as well, but why kuifje75 bring it out. kuifje75 is not owner. well what is the points?? Lasza
Yes, kuifje75 is not the owner but kuifje75 is a member and members should respect other members.

what is the points?? Lasza

I see u are not gulity of being postwhore. even said "whatever" and think them are :crazy: Make me feel like i lost respect to you.
I just ask u in nice way for show ur respect. Kuijfe is not only one. Don't u notice more people agree with his comments. He stand up for speak out for make postwhores uddy how our feeling are about!

MOD NOTE:

Guys, please do not flame each other. Thanks.

You are right, I am not the owner.

But get this: Alex is the owner, and he is the person who made these rules about postwhoring that some of us have ignored. You're completely missing the point here. The rules were already there when you joined the forum.

Wow! I am impressed. I respect you guys so much for taking responsibility for yourselves! Whoo hooo!! :D

Goldenleaf74, yes you're right. Alex owns this site, and I think this place is really great and he can do so much. That's where we the members come in... we have a responsibility in maintaining the integrity of this forum according to Alex's rules. They make sense to me and is a good exchange for our use of this place. Are you saying that you don't care about Alex's rules even if this is his place? I don't understand.

I do remmy I read post somewhere in which thread I forgot. Alex mentioned about his spend lot of $$ for running AD. i think $1,500 or something. Realize that is alot of money to keep AD running alive.
See that Alex done great job for bring AD to Deaf Community. Make us connect for many reasons. Alex's $$ on AD is about his loyalty. Postwhores need re-consider about that.

Also... remember GoldenLeaf74 denied that he was a postwhore.
If you look at his motto carefully, doesn't it say "PostWhoreStud!!!"
Isn't that sending us double message?

Originally posted by Lasza
I do remmy I read post somewhere in which thread I forgot. Alex mentioned about his spend lot of $$ for running AD. i think $1,500 or something. Realize that is alot of money to keep AD running alive.
See that Alex done great job for bring AD to Deaf Community. Make us connect for many reasons. Alex's $$ on AD is about his loyalty. Postwhores need re-consider about that.

I do not see why can't the member pay like 20 to 25 dollars per year to advocate AllDeaf keeps running forum ? I think, it is not fair to see Alex paid for this out of his pocket while we are not cooperated. :ugh:

Teamwork is most important and respect other people. If anyone who post on their own new thread without no debate. We can use adjustment to remove on our own if we feel that thread is not worth for other members interest to debate or say something.

That way, we can save our space in bandwidith and money. :D

Thanks for kuifje75 brings up our attention as a good teamwork. :applause:

Originally posted by kuifje75
Also... remember GoldenLeaf74 denied that he was a postwhore.
If you look at his motto carefully, doesn't it say "PostWhoreStud!!!"
Isn't that sending us double message?

I really hate to say that but I notice that put just one smiley icon each of those thread with one or two words to keep up the numeral posts. It does not mean anything to us. Think twice of our bandwidith and save money for Alex's sake. What is more the mods are impossible to keep all those track for 24 hrs a day. If we say something not important.

I realize for while myself to not post waste of space with simple words. This is new experience for me to knowledge technology. ;)

Enjoy in AllDeaf as much as we can.

Why not add banner that you can make money like per click like .02 cents & up? Ofc, no pop-up ads <--totally hates it!

I also run my own site as well, so I do understand about bandwidth, etc. I wouldn't like it either if someone being too postwhore on my site because it'll eat up my bandwidth space or using my upload feature too much because it's hosted by my server and I pay for it. So please respect, don't abuse it like being postwhore or use upload feature too much because it DOES eat up lot of bandwidth.

About being postwhore, I hate to admit I was for awhile then now I'll just post whatever that interests me. I don't really care about post #. ;)

Last edited:
but if we keep have on topic in forums then if u wanna have off topic to talk about then TAKE it to PM (private message) don't mind u postwhorers who think it's fun to do that anymore.. but if u wanted to keep in touch then do PMs but forums are one intention to have good feedbacks not abuse the forums. heh.

Last edited:
:D Vampy brought up something really interesting that I never knew and I learned something new today! The signature and avatar also uses up bandwidth when you post your posts. I noticed that since I had a rather large signature, I removed it from my profile so I wouldn't have it posted anymore. You can see that from all of my posts, my signature is removed. It decreases using the bandwidth. Thanks, Vampy, I learned something new, I appreciate it very much.

yea Freaky -- i noticed his comment abt that too -- i dont have a sig so not worry abt that

:thumb: to Vampy for his very clear explaination on the bandwith and the usage -- thank u!

U know i have to relize this vamp's right as much as i loved my sig and all im gonna take that sig down u all seen who i look like and if u all haven t see who i look like u can PM me, i just want this to be Slavagable for the AD to have smooth movements even for the dail up people i can always change my avatar to a small pic that's not movable.. I DO agree with vamp and freaky my apologies for slowing up the bandwith...

maybe U all can PM me something i dunno and teach me a bit abt the bandwith with what it means without going off the topic in here thanks :) I d like to learn as much without messing up the AD's chances!

Originally posted by Freaky
:D Vampy brought up something really interesting that I never knew and I learned something new today! The signature and avatar also uses up bandwidth when you post your posts. I noticed that since I had a rather large signature, I removed it from my profile so I wouldn't have it posted anymore. You can see that from all of my posts, my signature is removed. It decreases using the bandwidth. Thanks, Vampy, I learned something new, I appreciate it very much.

Yep...my sig is hosted from my site so no worries. ;)

Back