Postwhoring, when too much is too much?

Should severe postwhoring be ignored?

• Yes, it contributes to the forum.

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Maybe, limit some postwhoring to certain threads only.

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • No, it degrades the quality of this forum.

Votes: 16 31.4%
  • I dont know/I dont care.

Votes: 17 33.3%

• Total voters
K

kuifje75

I have noticed that postwhoring is rampant here in Alldeaf. I have started to lose some interest in browsing through here, mainly due to the severe postwhoring that has been going on. The rules of this forum clearly discourages severe postwhoring, to which you all have agreed.

How do you know if someone is severely postwhoring? I have some suggestions:
- if he only posts short replies like, "yeah" "I dont know" etc..
- if he only posts replies of one smiley or whatever emoticion
- if he only cares about his number of posting, and actively posts a certain amount of posts in order to have this desired number of posting.
- if he cares about owning a page, and gladly announces it.
- chit chatty responses
- there may be more, but these above are the most apparent here.

What do you think about all these postwhoring that have been going on here? I have voiced my opinion in the past, saying that it is the quality of your postings that should count, not the quantity of your posts. Should some things that postwhores post be limited to a chatroom, or should we just ignore it all and let it go on.

Postwhoring also takes up a lot of bandwidth and space on the server. The more the postwhores post, the most expensive it becomes for the owner of this site. To me, it seems rather inconsiderate, when you don't post quality postings to make a good use of the money.

Please feel free to announce your opinion here, and vote on this poll.

I agree with Kuifje completely. I mean, we just wanna be serious about some things and that is very hard to do so if we see all those off color postwhoring activities. Post-turtle, post-whoring... personally I dont give a damn about that. I want to reset my post count to prove this point (how, moderator and Alex?) :D Quality for me, not quantity.

Is it possible that some of you are not aware of the forum rules that Alex have created for this message board? He was very clear about no repetitious posts and severe postwhoring.

Here is the link to the rest of the forum rules. http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=95
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
4.) Participants may not scroll unnecessarily. Scrolling can refer to the following:

a.) Excessive quoting
b.) Excessive smilies, pictures
c.) Marquee images, text (scrolling horizontally)
c.) Anything that is repetitious

5.) No bashing, flaming or harassing other participants. Period.

Even though we support freedom of speech, show some respect, use common sense, and keep an open mind when participating in discussions.

Finally, any abuse towards the Moderators will not be tolerated. If you disagree with any of them, please contact me via PM (Private Message).

First offense - Warning
Second offense - 12 hours ban
Third offense - 24 hours ban
Fourth offense - 1 week ban
Fifth offense - Permanent

Last edited:
kuifje75, I am not agree, it is freedom of speech remmy that. if you planning for that, I will leave AD for good!!

:| at first i was.. i was newbies.. I got excited.. but now.. I dont care about post counts.. I am more interested to type in and say something funny or news.. maybe some chitchat..
Sorry for all this.. but we really enjoyed..
some of us should realized about the cost and bandwidth and space on the server..
If Alex.. needs some funds.. I willing to throw $ in funds to keep this server.. :) life isnt free..

Granted, we do have the freedom of speech, but it does not mean that we have the freedom to abuse that freedom. When you first became members here, you have read the agreement that Alex, the moderator, made for you all to follow. He clearly, at the time of the beginning of Alldeafv2, stated these rules for you all. Yet, a lot of us have abused it. Sadly, the moderators have felt powerless to control all these postwhoring that have been going on.

I say again:
Freedom of speech :thumb:
Freedom of abuse: :thumbd:

I agree with you Kuifje75, we all do have freedom of something, but it doesn't mean we have 100% right to do anything and abuse it... for example we have freedom to drive anywhere we want, it require a driver license so therefore we must have driver license to drive a car otherwise go to jail cuz that person abuse his freedom... We'll should be carefully I know I'm bad too... compared my posting to others... well I don't want ot mentioned it...

:werd: the quality of the threads also suck as well..

i remmy back in the old ad, the mods were strict and actually did their jobs. they did have a rule against postwhoring but... now its all irrevalent.

thank you for bringing up what i was bitching about.

Yeah, I notice some of members replied few words and put emoition icons. Especially post alot of pictures, it may hurt our brandwidith and more expensive for update verison.

Hope, this forum keeps alive much as we can enjoy to browse and replies. :D

Keep this forum resolve as much as we can.

perhap the thread can be deleted that hasn't been used for few weeks..

no-

i believe in keeping all revelant threads with people actually STICKING to the topic.

Originally posted by GoldenLeaf74
kuifje75, I am not agree, it is freedom of speech remmy that. if you planning for that, I will leave AD for good!!
If you want to leave the thread, that shows that all you care about is sitting there and saying pointless things. How would you like it if you were sitting at a table with your friend talking seriously. Suddenly, this person sits at the table and starts talking about other things and pointless things. Would you like that? Sure, that person has the right to say anything you want. From what you're saying, it's okay for us to have a bunch of tables with people who talk about pointless things that don't make sense. Imagine if you wanted to join a table and talk about what they are talking about but all they are doing is talking about 50 different things at once! That's what it sounds like you're saying.

Originally posted by wickedeyed
no-

i believe in keeping all revelant threads with people actually STICKING to the topic.
:werd: That's exactly how I feel!

When I joined AllDeaf last year, it was one of the best forums that I've ever joined. I was referred to this site by another gal who was asking me for my opinion on a post she made. She wasn't a very frequent poster but she made very good posts. After more members joined and started abusing their rights as posters, she got fed up with it and left. She likes to talk and have fun, but not the kind of person who talks too much and rambles on. I think that this forum is not a place for people to come in and make over 50 posts a day! When you do that, it sounds like none of you have anything to do at home but sit on your ass and make pointless posts. I may be guilty of making a post here and there from time to time, but hey... at least I'm not doing it constantly. If you want to point out a couple of those posts that I made that you feel is "postwhoring", point them out and I'd gladly delete them. Why? Because I don't care about my post count. What I do care about is that I do my fair share of posts and am ranked high as accordance with my time with AllDeaf. Suddenly, I'm pushed down 10 ranks because 10 other members who joined recently and are severely postwhoring with nothing but bullshit posts. If I could, I would delete "Did you notice...?" and "Psssst". Why? Those two threads should not even be there. If you want to talk about something, be serious about it by making one simple and serious thread and have everyone follow through with it. Don't make up a thread and allow anyone to say anything. If I deleted those two threads, it will surely kill the post counts for those who are listed in the top 10! No kidding! I do not want to hear any of you give us that "freedom of speech" bullshit! Sure, you can say what you want, but we can do what we want too in order to maintain a safe and proper environment. Yes, I can say "fuck you" to a cop when he pulls me over. Then again, it's inappropriate and that gives him a right to give me a ticket for swearing at him, right? Well, the same goes for us members in AllDeaf. AllDeaf is a place for people to be nice and post serious posts. I've noticed a lot of members joining and enjoying it for a while then they suddenly leave. Why do they leave? They tell me that they are tired of the severe postwhoring that goes on in here. Why am I still here? PATIENCE! I've had my share of complaints from members about other members and what can I do? Nothing, because technically, there is no rule against postwhoring. But... enough is enough! Those of you who severely postwhore should shut up and get serious. If you don't like what I just said above, too bad! At least I'm making a long and serious post about a serious issue. Not posting a bunch of pointless and stupid emoticons or one/two-worders! Thanks for your time and I hope that you all seriously think about this.

im guilty of doing some postwhoring :Oops: -- i have thought if i put in my comments in the post wouldnt it have been more accepted as opposed to just putting in a word or 2 or excessive smilies and etc qq there has been a time i would just totally agree with someone's post and just wanna say i agree without making any additional comments

yes i agree with Kuifje that certain ppl DOES postwhore excessively and with no good reason in the post and no valid discussion going on -- just general chit chat -- i can even name a few threads that are quite worthless to keep :-x and i generally ignore those threads unless somebody had PMed me telling me to check out certain threads i generally dont check out

:D I totally agree with Kootchie, Liza and Vampy. You see, when I started the "Have you noticed this?" thread... I was surprised there were so many posts in that thread. My purpose for that thread was to encourage people to get to know each other and to post as much information as you could in one post. Later on, it got to be rebuttals, page owning contests, single posts and simple smilies. I just totally lost interest in my thread and would read posts like "Freaky's post will hit 10,000 posts!! Will she get a trophy?" I didn't care at all because it's just a thread, I wouldn't care at all if it's deleted because the purpose of the thread is lost by postwhoring. When you want your opinion to be validated.. please don't postwhore. You're not helping the moderators or even Alex by using up so much bandwidth. :shock: I feel for Alex... wondering how much he has to pay because of the postwhoring?! Can you imagine how much money he would save if we didn't do all this postwhoring? A great suggestion... set up an AIMchatroom and link up the time and date. This way AD members can enter the chatroom and chat with other members. This way postwhoring would definitely be reduced! Just an idea that I have been pondering about with other people, not going to take credit for this. :D

Originally posted by VamPyroX
If you want to leave the thread, that shows that all you care about is sitting there and saying pointless things. How would you like it if you were sitting at a table with your friend talking seriously. Suddenly, this person sits at the table and starts talking about other things and pointless things. Would you like that? Sure, that person has the right to say anything you want. From what you're saying, it's okay for us to have a bunch of tables with people who talk about pointless things that don't make sense. Imagine if you wanted to join a table and talk about what they are talking about but all they are doing is talking about 50 different things at once! That's what it sounds like you're saying.
well where is the fun and enjoy this website!! I hate plain, rid of this plain, I like to be fun enjooy to get some post, fun sad or happy what I like. Be honest I dont agree with that stupid thread kuifje75. if you don't agree that's fine. I don't bother that topic anyway.

Originally posted by VamPyroX
:werd: That's exactly how I feel!

When I joined AllDeaf last year, it was one of the best forums that I've ever joined. I was referred to this site by another gal who was asking me for my opinion on a post she made. She wasn't a very frequent poster but she made very good posts. After more members joined and started abusing their rights as posters, she got fed up with it and left. She likes to talk and have fun, but not the kind of person who talks too much and rambles on. I think that this forum is not a place for people to come in and make over 50 posts a day! When you do that, it sounds like none of you have anything to do at home but sit on your ass and make pointless posts. I may be guilty of making a post here and there from time to time, but hey... at least I'm not doing it constantly. If you want to point out a couple of those posts that I made that you feel is "postwhoring", point them out and I'd gladly delete them. Why? Because I don't care about my post count. What I do care about is that I do my fair share of posts and am ranked high as accordance with my time with AllDeaf. Suddenly, I'm pushed down 10 ranks because 10 other members who joined recently and are severely postwhoring with nothing but bullshit posts. If I could, I would delete "Did you notice...?" and "Psssst". Why? Those two threads should not even be there. If you want to talk about something, be serious about it by making one simple and serious thread and have everyone follow through with it. Don't make up a thread and allow anyone to say anything. If I deleted those two threads, it will surely kill the post counts for those who are listed in the top 10! No kidding! I do not want to hear any of you give us that "freedom of speech" bullshit! Sure, you can say what you want, but we can do what we want too in order to maintain a safe and proper environment. Yes, I can say "fuck you" to a cop when he pulls me over. Then again, it's inappropriate and that gives him a right to give me a ticket for swearing at him, right? Well, the same goes for us members in AllDeaf. AllDeaf is a place for people to be nice and post serious posts. I've noticed a lot of members joining and enjoying it for a while then they suddenly leave. Why do they leave? They tell me that they are tired of the severe postwhoring that goes on in here. Why am I still here? PATIENCE! I've had my share of complaints from members about other members and what can I do? Nothing, because technically, there is no rule against postwhoring. But... enough is enough! Those of you who severely postwhore should shut up and get serious. If you don't like what I just said above, too bad! At least I'm making a long and serious post about a serious issue. Not posting a bunch of pointless and stupid emoticons or one/two-worders! Thanks for your time and I hope that you all seriously think about this.

damn.

:werd:

even though my posts are short and odd, they're much more revelant than some certain posters on here.

@ GL74: Of course, the smileys and emoticons are there, but they should only be used as a tool to enhance what we are posting.

@ Freaky: I agree with the idea for the chatroom! I do know that Alex is working on it, so for some time, we wont be having one. Deaf258 also set up an AIM Chatroom too, but nobody ever goes there. Maybe we all need to create a thread, set up a chatting time, so that we can get together and chat? I'm not sure.

we used to meet on ivisit nightly.. it was a good way for us to get freaky with each other.

all the real serious ad posters would go there and we'd talk our bs away all nights.

that can be a solution, but i dont know how many aders we would be capable of holding.

Originally posted by Freaky
:D I totally agree with Kootchie, Liza and Vampy. You see, when I started the "Have you noticed this?" thread... I was surprised there were so many posts in that thread. My purpose for that thread was to encourage people to get to know each other and to post as much information as you could in one post. Later on, it got to be rebuttals, page owning contests, single posts and simple smilies. I just totally lost interest in my thread and would read posts like "Freaky's post will hit 10,000 posts!! Will she get a trophy?" I didn't care at all because it's just a thread, I wouldn't care at all if it's deleted because the purpose of the thread is lost by postwhoring. When you want your opinion to be validated.. please don't postwhore. You're not helping the moderators or even Alex by using up so much bandwidth. :shock: I feel for Alex... wondering how much he has to pay because of the postwhoring?! Can you imagine how much money he would save if we didn't do all this postwhoring? A great suggestion... set up an AIMchatroom and link up the time and date. This way AD members can enter the chatroom and chat with other members. This way postwhoring would definitely be reduced! Just an idea that I have been pondering about with other people, not going to take credit for this. :D

Excellent suggestion Freaky, Liza, kuifje75 and VamPyroX ! VamPyroX has make a good point. I feel guilty because I posted sometime make no sense. I will do save our brandwidith and money.

Why can't we remove like bbnt "remind me of that" and also freaky's thread notice that, etc... so it will help our site more space. Some of members put one or two words each of waste threads. Alex or mod can remove those no sense comments. Will this be save our money and brandwidith space?

Can we resolve other way ? What do you think? I also notice there are double and triple same topics in this forum. Alex may cut and paste thread into one topic. More less post many new thread ?

I am looking forward to new chatroom in the future. ;)

~ Sabrina

Last edited:
Back