police pepper spray 8-year old boy

Is it bad that I'm thinking about having kids in a few years AND I find this article awesomely amusing?

Is it bad that I'm thinking about having kids in a few years AND I find this article awesomely amusing?

No, because I think you will be a good mother who would not think their child had more rights that anybody else.

Even the kid said he deserved it.

Yes the kid deserved it and I'm a mother of a 7 year old! He had a weapon, was throwing a tantrum and they needed to get him subdued and quickly before someone got hurt. If you don't think a kid that size can do damage try getting whacked in the head by a 7 year old girl with a Rubik's Cube. I had a black eye from that number for about 2-3 days. She had a sore hiney for about a day after that.

Yes the kid deserved it and I'm a mother of a 7 year old! He had a weapon, was throwing a tantrum and they needed to get him subdued and quickly before someone got hurt. If you don't think a kid that size can do damage try getting whacked in the head by a 7 year old girl with a Rubik's Cube. I had a black eye from that number for about 2-3 days. She had a sore hiney for about a day after that.

So you fine with yo kid bein peppersprayed?

I wonder at the sanity of members here. :P

That is terrible. The article said the boy is in a class for behaviorally challenged kids. Obviously the child has underlying issues that added to the problem. If grown men and women (police) cannot find a way to subdue a child who is acting out without pepper spray, there is a problem. To me, that is abuse. While the child was acting inappropriately, that doesn't give people the right to do what they did. The child likely has an IEP, and in that there should have been modifications and positive behavioral intervention. I don't believe in spanking, as much as my husband would like to spank our 7 year old at times to get him to do what he's supposed to. Spanking and pepper spray perpetuate the problem.

I agree with this particular child being pepper-sprayed. He was acting more than "inappropriately." He was acting extremely aggressively. According to different stories, he had already thrown - thrown! - two chairs and a TV cart at the teachers. He had a sharpened stick ready to strike. The teachers had safely gotten the other children out of the room and had locked themselves in a closet.

The police had already been called on two different occasions to deal with this boy.

He's not a 4 year old. He's an 8 year old and he knew what he was doing.

How a child gets to be this aggressive is beyond my pay scale to figure out. Either his mom is not teaching him how to deal with his emotions, or she or someone in the family perhaps has been abusing this kid in a violent way so that he has learned violence. Who knows. But at some point, he needs to learn that actions have consequences.

In the immediate situation, he was acting in a way that risked serious injury to other people. The police handled it quickly to subdue him, and he was treated by paramedics immediately. There is no permanent damage from pepper spray, like there could have been had he stabbed one of the teachers or other children with his sharpened stick, or had he hit someone with the thrown furniture.

And then the mom parades this kid on TV with a "woe is me" story. Look, lady, love your son, teach him patience, teach him empathy for other people, teach him how to behave appropriately, and he won't get himself into a situation where pepper spray is a viable response to him.

I don't know. It's really a tough call. I wasn't aware that the police had been called two other times for this child. Clearly, whatever they are doing at home and in the school isn't working. I hope this child gets the help he so desperately needs.

I'm sure there's a lot we're not being told about the boy. I've seen some pretty messed up, violent little SOBs, and nothing gets through to them except physically overpowering them. Also, this mother seems like an enabler and excuse-maker for her child.

As much as I don't like the thought about pepper spraying an 8 year old, some sort of physical response was needed. Maybe this will teach him a lesson?

At least they didn't use a taser on him...

I'm sure there's a lot we're not being told about the boy. I've seen some pretty messed up, violent little SOBs, and nothing gets through to them except physically overpowering them. Also, this mother seems like an enabler and excuse-maker for her child.

As much as I don't like the thought about pepper spraying an 8 year old, some sort of physical response was needed. Maybe this will teach him a lesson?

At least they didn't use a taser on him...

That's what I was thinking.

Interesting though that the police can decide to use this measure but if a parent did anything close they would be locked up.

Interesting though that the police can decide to use this measure but if a parent did anything close they would be locked up.

True, but the police can do a lot of things to people that civilians are not allowed to do to each other - including, for instance, pulling a driver over for speeding and asking for I.D., completely innocuous, non-physical things like that.

You call the police when a situation has escalated beyond your means to control it, and they step in with more serious responses than a civilian is trained to deal with. They had a paramedic on the scene, for one thing.

Of the means available to them, pepper spray probably beats putting the kid into a headlock, or going after him in full battle gear (needed to protect their own faces from the kid's sharpened stick), using tear gas, or other stronger responses.

True, but the police can do a lot of things to people that civilians are not allowed to do to each other - including, for instance, pulling a driver over for speeding and asking for I.D., completely innocuous, non-physical things like that.

You call the police when a situation has escalated beyond your means to control it, and they step in with more serious responses than a civilian is trained to deal with. They had a paramedic on the scene, for one thing.

Of the means available to them, pepper spray probably beats putting the kid into a headlock, or going after him in full battle gear (needed to protect their own faces from the kid's sharpened stick), using tear gas, or other stronger responses.

Yup, the child is indeed fortunate he didn't square off against such tough dudes. :|

Elian Gonzales style???

Back