police pepper spray 8-year old boy

You being sarcastic there?

The kid, the teachers, and the other children are all fortunate that no one was seriously injured in this whole melee. It could have been much worse.

TXGolfer, you slipped. I was responding to Beowulf.

It's hard for me to comment on this. I had a brother with an explosive temper. He had major attitude and behavioral problems. There was no chance that he would have been "taken down" with pepper spray. We there was a problem at the school and he took a piece of wall railing and was threatening the principal, my parents were called. It was a 3 hour standoff and the school was in lock-down mode. Keep in mind, this was in the 70's. My father and the police chief agreed to let the football team help. (hallway was carpeted). They did a massive tackle and subdued my brother. No charges were filed and he was suspended for 10 days. He was also required to to community service hours at the school by the principal.

For me, I did spank my children when they were younger. We had also tried the "Parenting Using the Love and Logic Principle". (That was a bust!) My son has temper issues, but I have told him to do what I used to do, take it out on something inanimate. He broke his hand punching a tree, now, his temper doesn't get too much for him to handle anymore. I took mine out on stuffed animals. Daughter is too laid back for much anymore. She was a major door slammer. She used to throw furniture and we had a chair go out the window once by her. Glad they grew up and are happier teens now.

You being sarcastic there?

The kid, the teachers, and the other children are all fortunate that no one was seriously injured in this whole melee. It could have been much worse.

TXGolfer, you slipped. I was responding to Beowulf.

Nothing a stun grenade could not take care of. :lol:

I think what the police did with that kid was justifiable. After all, the kid was holding a potentially harmful weapon in his hand. C'mon, the pepper spray is not life-threatening to the kids. It really depends on the circumstances with the other 8 years olds, I would feel that pepper spraying a kid that age is not always a good idea, but given the circumstances, the kid deserved it. I mean, he was out of control. Better getting pepper sprayed rather than having 2 policemen 2 or 3 times the kid's size and probably break his neck and would have been paralyzed for the rest of his life. That is not way to go.

What bugged me the most out of this is having his mom going on a national television, defending her son. I mean, it's ludicrous, she was defending her own kid she KNEW is 100% responsible for any wrongdoings that day. Even that kid admitted deep down that he has had problems. Mother of year award? I don't think so!

I think what the police did with that kid was justifiable. After all, the kid was holding a potentially harmful weapon in his hand. C'mon, the pepper spray is not life-threatening to the kids. It really depends on the circumstances with the other 8 years olds, I would feel that pepper spraying a kid that age is not always a good idea, but given the circumstances, the kid deserved it. I mean, he was out of control. Better getting pepper sprayed rather than having 2 policemen 2 or 3 times the kid's size and probably break his neck and would have been paralyzed for the rest of his life. That is not way to go.

What bugged me the most out of this is having his mom going on a national television, defending her son. I mean, it's ludicrous, she was defending her own kid she KNEW is 100% responsible for any wrongdoings that day. Even that kid admitted deep down that he has had problems. Mother of year award? I don't think so!

:lol:

KristinaB, I smiled at your post. (Although I'm sorry your son broke his hand - wow!)

My mom used to keep a rag bin in our "mud room." Whenever one of us 4 kids got to the boiling point, she would send us in that direction and told us to tear up rags until we had calmed down. She had the best rag supply of any mother on the block!

Stop piddying around guys...

If I was the cop, in a bullet proof uniform... Id just have went to the kid and snapped him off of the stick.

a 8 year old with a stick... Seriously. I've done worse at 8 year old.

Alright - Heres the problem. We're now fine with the pepper spray.. but 10 years down the road the society will be fine with the above.

Effective?

Now people wonder why I dislike the approach USA is taking with dealing with situations like this.

Pepperspray kid

I wonder at the sanity of members here. :P

Hi Wulfy...well having only 3/4 of a brain..lol..darn brain, I am totally sane and have had that verified..yeah..so..my thoughts on this are... If this child
was in anykind of special needs class or school (cause I did not read the article , just commenting) Teachers abd assistants are taught the proper way to restrain an child..now I do not know how BIG he was , but still, even I know the technique..and whats next? Taser (did I spell that right)..come on
sure he said I deserved it a little...He probably had at least 20 ppl that day how "bad" he was. I have no kids, unfortunately, but i do have 10 Godchildren, geez, and I think perhaps a few ppl at every school should be taught the correct way to restrain.. I could be wrong..but that's my thought
Midnight..♥♥♥

I agree, it was justified...That kid needs big-time help! And should be banned from going back to that school, as the kids & the teachers were terrorized....

I was walking with one of my neighbors to the mailbox, a 69-yr. old lady one day. There was a group of kids there...anywhere from 6-7-8 years old...They were playing around the mailboxes, yelling and all...even hitting them with sticks....My elderly neighbor said...."Be quiet, ur making too much noise...and go on to the park to play."....One little boy said..."F--- you, Bitch"!...It was shocking to both of us....and if there was no law against it, I would have snatched that kid, took him to my bathroom and washed his mouth out with soap....maybe even have busted his azz for good behavior too!

Hi Wulfy...well having only 3/4 of a brain..lol..darn brain, I am totally sane and have had that verified..yeah..so..my thoughts on this are... If this child
was in anykind of special needs class or school (cause I did not read the article , just commenting) Teachers abd assistants are taught the proper way to restrain an child..now I do not know how BIG he was , but still, even I know the technique..and whats next? Taser (did I spell that right)..come on
sure he said I deserved it a little...He probably had at least 20 ppl that day how "bad" he was. I have no kids, unfortunately, but i do have 10 Godchildren, geez, and I think perhaps a few ppl at every school should be taught the correct way to restrain.. I could be wrong..but that's my thought
Midnight..♥♥♥

Hi MidnightSun! :hug:
I am just bemused at this whole thread, since it seems the police are not sure how to deal with an unruly child. ;)
Like PFH said, I do not care if the child is pointing a gun at me, I would walk up to him and deal with it without hurting him. Trust me, I can. ;)

There's two ways of looking at this. If you think there exists only one best response, maybe pepper spray wasn't the very best.

But if you think there are a lot of possible responses, and anything that calms the kid down without lasting harm to himself or other people is ok, then pepper spray fits into that one.

I'm in the latter group, myself.

Pepperspray kid

There's two ways of looking at this. If you think there exists only one best response, maybe pepper spray wasn't the very best.

But if you think there are a lot of possible responses, and anything that calms the kid down without lasting harm to himself or other people is ok, then pepper spray fits into that one.

I'm in the latter group, myself.

Hey Beachgirl' Love your pic with your dog..smile..Uhhhh have you ever been [pepper sprayed? I have ( no surprise there..lol) It really does not calm you down it makes it impossible for your brain to do anything but focus on the pain in your face and eye's. Peace always..Midnight♥♥♥

I was in college in the late '60's and early '70's. Never was pepper-sprayed, but was tear-gassed a time or two on campus, after various demonstrations.

Maybe "calm the kid down" wasn't the best choice of wording. But "get him out of the situation," maybe? Make him lose his focus on hurting other people, even at the cost of pain to himself?

I'm not saying it was the very best response, necessarily. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. But to me, it was an acceptable thing to do, in this case, given the history with this kid and the immediate danger to other people.

I've never been pepper sprayed, but I've carried pepper spray in my purse.
If someone, even a child came at me in a threatening manner with a sharp object and meant to do me bodily harm...yes, I would pepper spray them.

Hi MidnightSun! :hug:
I am just bemused at this whole thread, since it seems the police are not sure how to deal with an unruly child. ;)
Like PFH said, I do not care if the child is pointing a gun at me, I would walk up to him and deal with it without hurting him. Trust me, I can. ;)

You know what you call an old guy walking up to an enraged kid with a gun? Dead.

Back