police pepper spray 8-year old boy

Wirelessly posted

Whatever happened to talking instead of resorting to measures such as pepper-spray and/or taser? Tsk.

Wirelessly posted

Whatever happened to talking instead of resorting to measures such as pepper-spray and/or taser? Tsk.
They tried.

Police in Lakewood say they pepper-sprayed Aidan twice at Glennon Heights Elementary School after he refused to drop a piece of wooden wall trim that he was trying to stab them with.

That is terrible. The article said the boy is in a class for behaviorally challenged kids. Obviously the child has underlying issues that added to the problem. If grown men and women (police) cannot find a way to subdue a child who is acting out without pepper spray, there is a problem. To me, that is abuse. While the child was acting inappropriately, that doesn't give people the right to do what they did. The child likely has an IEP, and in that there should have been modifications and positive behavioral intervention. I don't believe in spanking, as much as my husband would like to spank our 7 year old at times to get him to do what he's supposed to. Spanking and pepper spray perpetuate the problem.

If the mother had pepper sprayed the boy she would be in jail for abuse!

When I was in elementary school, the principal spanked the bad boys and girls. Nowadays, that is a big "no-no".

Spanking is far more effective than time outs.

Ever hear of Willie Bosket?

Well that's what he gets when he dont listen to the police for not dropping a weapon that would threaten anyone.

I agree with the Police on this one...

Just my thoughts on this.

Had the police tried to remove the stick from the boy, an officer could have easily been stabbed or injured in the process. Yes he is only eight, but he is an eight year old with a weapon. One apparently violent enough to have scared his teachers enough to lock themselves in a room out of fear for their lives.

Secondly, a lot of kids (imho) get away with too much. The two previous times the boy was simply talked down by police. Enough is enough. I think it's fair to say he will think twice after being sprayed.

After reading the story I believe the boy definitely deserved it, and while not the only option the police had, they used one that not only ended this situation, but also hopefully prevents future ones.

And I'm sorry, the mom says the kid never behaves badly anywhere else. I find that hard to believe. If that was my kid, I promise you he would have dropped the stick and took off hiding as soon as he heard the words, "your dad is on the way."

- Mike :cool2:

Back