People from the north...

oh and lots I mean lots of off spray to keep those suckers away

i wasnt prepared for them! i was afraid they might carry me off! :eek3:

geez. i need to brush up on my redneck vocab and slang. first "beezy" and now "skeeters." :laugh2:

I really hope this doesn't come acrossed rude..I'm not thinking clearly right now (sleeping pills are working). But in my opinion I found this to be hurtfull, rude something. Just cause it's in the 20 doesn't mean to us Arkansans that it isn't that bad. Yes could be worse but for us this icestorm is worse, the 5 degree weather we had a week or so ago was worse. To us arkansas we are use to the milder temps and no ice and hardly any snow. So we tend to get worried about our health and safety even if it's 20 over zero. I worry about lossing power in any cold weather as I have myself, a 9 year old, a 6 year old and a 4 year old. I worry about lossing the only food I have (if power failure ws to happen) to feed my kids till middle of February.

So to the ones that gave us great suggestions I appricated it. To the ones that I feel rudely tells us it's no big deal it's worse for people up north..thanks for our imputs too

You're overreacting. And, you named this thread "people from the north". I grew up in Wisconsin from the age of 4 until I was 21, and then I moved to Minnesota and stayed there until I was 26. You wanted advice on how people from the north survive the cold up there. I gave you my advice. I also have been down to Arkansas so many times per year that I have lost count, in ALL 4 seasons. I have lost power in very cold weather here in Texas, in Arkansas, Wisconsin, and Minnesota, during the winter, and I have survived. And I did give you advice such as using candles, etc. We do have cold weather down here, in south Texas, too. In fact, it was about 30 degrees today, and we did lose power here earlier today for a few hours. Guess what? I was fine. Just fine. You are overreacting to what I said. Yes, I understand that cold is bad, but you overreacted to what I SAID. Take it easy. You think I don't understand? I do. We do even get snow and ice here once in a great while here in south Texas. We won't even go on the roads when it is below 30 and it is raining or snowing. Maybe you should get off those sleeping pills since they seem to affect your moods. If you don't like my advice, then just ignore it, instead of overreacting and saying that I was rude. I was not. I said that I thought you would be fine, because I have had experience with losing power in frigid weather, and I felt that you would do ok with candles, blankets, a fireplace, etc if it was only going to get down to 20 degrees or something like that. I was trying to be reassuring, and you got your panties all in a bunch about it. And as for the food, if you worry so much about losing food from losing power, buy a huge load of canned and nonperishable foods, like I do, or start building a large supply of canned and nonperishable foods. I have a pantry FULL of them. I have enough canned and nonperishable food to last me for three months in my pantry, in addition to enough junk food to last me another three months in my top cabinets. You know, if this is how you react to people's advice while you're on sleeping pills, maybe you should get off the sleeping pills and get on a mood stabilizer or something. :roll:

You're overreacting. And, you named this thread "people from the north". I grew up in Wisconsin from the age of 4 until I was 21, and then I moved to Minnesota and stayed there until I was 26. You wanted advice on how people from the north survive the cold up there. I gave you my advice. I also have been down to Arkansas so many times per year that I have lost count, in ALL 4 seasons. I have lost power in very cold weather here in Texas, in Arkansas, Wisconsin, and Minnesota, during the winter, and I have survived. And I did give you advice such as using candles, etc. We do have cold weather down here, in south Texas, too. In fact, it was about 30 degrees today, and we did lose power here earlier today for a few hours. Guess what? I was fine. Just fine. You are overreacting to what I said. Yes, I understand that cold is bad, but you overreacted to what I SAID. Take it easy. You think I don't understand? I do. We do even get snow and ice here once in a great while here in south Texas. We won't even go on the roads when it is below 30 and it is raining or snowing. Maybe you should get off those sleeping pills since they seem to affect your moods. If you don't like my advice, then just ignore it, instead of overreacting and saying that I was rude. I was not. I said that I thought you would be fine, because I have had experience with losing power in frigid weather, and I felt that you would do ok with candles, blankets, a fireplace, etc if it was only going to get down to 20 degrees or something like that. I was trying to be reassuring, and you got your panties all in a bunch about it. And as for the food, if you worry so much about losing food from losing power, buy a huge load of canned and nonperishable foods, like I do, or start building a large supply of canned and nonperishable foods. I have a pantry FULL of them. I have enough canned and nonperishable food to last me for three months in my pantry, in addition to enough junk food to last me another three months in my top cabinets. You know, if this is how you react to people's advice while you're on sleeping pills, maybe you should get off the sleeping pills and get on a mood stabilizer or something. :roll:

First of all I started my post saying not meaning to sound rude. Second of all your post said seeing how she's in Arkansas she should be fine. Well since you've visited us here you're so aware of our weather. You've lived up north where the temps and weather is worse so you have knowledge on the subject and experience. I HAVE NONE!! That's why I asked. Just cause I live here doesn't mean I should be okay. I don't know that..I don't know how much ice it takes to knock out power and if it does how long power will be off. I do have canned goods mostly veggies since we do cook with hamburger, pork chops, beef things like that. I don't fix my kids soaps and crap. Now take this as being rude I don't care cause I'm kind of annoyed. The reason I'm on sleeping pills is cause I can't sleep. I'm on anti depressents to stablize my moods thank you very much. I reread all the post clear headed and till found the one to be rude. Sorry but I do. So before you tell me what meds I need to be on and not re read your post and see how it comes acrossed.

I dont think anyone should tell anyone what meds they should or shouldnt be on unless there that persons Dr. or a person asks advice on such a matter. just my 2 cents worth. thank you that is all.

I dont think anyone should tell anyone what meds they should or shouldnt be on unless there that persons Dr. or a person asks advice on such a matter. just my 2 cents worth. thank you that is all.

Dittto!

First of all I started my post saying not meaning to sound rude. Second of all your post said seeing how she's in Arkansas she should be fine. Well since you've visited us here you're so aware of our weather. You've lived up north where the temps and weather is worse so you have knowledge on the subject and experience. I HAVE NONE!! That's why I asked. Just cause I live here doesn't mean I should be okay. I don't know that..I don't know how much ice it takes to knock out power and if it does how long power will be off. I do have canned goods mostly veggies since we do cook with hamburger, pork chops, beef things like that. I don't fix my kids soaps and crap. Now take this as being rude I don't care cause I'm kind of annoyed. The reason I'm on sleeping pills is cause I can't sleep. I'm on anti depressents to stablize my moods thank you very much. I reread all the post clear headed and till found the one to be rude. Sorry but I do. So before you tell me what meds I need to be on and not re read your post and see how it comes acrossed.

You said you have no knowledge. That's why we all gave you advice. And then you jumped on ME. And it's fine that you prefer to fix your kids hamburgers and other meats. I don't care. I'm just suggesting that you should keep a supply of canned and nonperishable foods for emergencies such as when power goes out and your entire meat supply in the freezer and other food in the fridge gets ruined and you don't have the money to go back to the grocery store to buy more meats and other refrigerated foods for your kids. The canned and nonperishable foods are your back-up food supply in case your perishables (frozen and refrigerated foods) gets ruined somehow and you don't have the money to get more until your next pay check. Unless you're rich and can afford to run off to the grocery store after the power comes back on and buy $200 worth of perishables right off the bat. In that case, go right ahead and act like a rich snob and say "I don't feed my kids this and that".

And, it takes a LOT of things to knock out the power...it is not just the cold...there has to be a lot of wind, ice, downed trees, etc, too, and a lot of other things involved in a winter storm. Damage has to be done to the power lines. Not just simple snow. I lived in Minnesota and Wisconsin and have lost power AFTER a LOT of things happening during a winterstorm, not after just simple snow and sometimes even ice. Even when it's subzero. Since you said you have no experience, I want to ask you if you have lived in Arkansas all your life or if you came from a much warmer climate. I also wonder how old you are. You sound rather young, even though you say you have three kids.

You said you have no knowledge. That's why we all gave you advice. And then you jumped on ME. And it's fine that you prefer to fix your kids hamburgers and other meats. I don't care. I'm just suggesting that you should keep a supply of canned and nonperishable foods for emergencies such as when power goes out and your entire meat supply in the freezer and other food in the fridge gets ruined and you don't have the money to go back to the grocery store to buy more meats and other refrigerated foods for your kids. The canned and nonperishable foods are your back-up food supply in case your perishables (frozen and refrigerated foods) gets ruined somehow and you don't have the money to get more until your next pay check. Unless you're rich and can afford to run off to the grocery store after the power comes back on and buy $200 worth of perishables right off the bat. In that case, go right ahead and act like a rich snob and say "I don't feed my kids this and that".

And, it takes a LOT of things to knock out the power...it is not just the cold...there has to be a lot of wind, ice, downed trees, etc, too, and a lot of other things involved in a winter storm. Damage has to be done to the power lines. Not just simple snow. I lived in Minnesota and Wisconsin and have lost power AFTER a LOT of things happening during a winterstorm, not after just simple snow and sometimes even ice. Even when it's subzero. Since you said you have no experience, I want to ask you if you have lived in Arkansas all your life or if you came from a much warmer climate. I also wonder how old you are. You sound rather young, even though you say you have three kids.

whoa whoa there... it doesn't actually take a LOT to knock out the power. You know it takes just one broken tree to knock out the power. The snow and ice together can make power line very heavy and it'll collapse. Either way - it's understandable for chris's mom (Lori) to be very worrisome and she wants to be prepared for worst case scenario.

nothing wrong with that, you know. better safe than sorry! who knows... maybe just some weird bad luck that the power is gone for more than a week... you never know!

btw - an hour ago (i think), Lori just lost the power. she sent one last message to Lounge thread on her cell phone. she just turned it off to save battery.

I think we should all calm down and visit canada lol...it was -40 with the wind chill the other day and that isn't the coldest it can get up here so buck up soldiers lol...The ice and snow can be really bad and we have gotten some really bad ice and winter storms...we had the most coldest and snowiest winters last year since 1972 lol...Just make sure you are prepared for the worst. Plenty of water is essential as well as blankets and a fireplace is key...i would go out and get matches and firewood and such to tend to the fire...my bf and I use firewood as well as old newspaper sometimes to feed the fire so it's not so hard to start..A flashlight or two is key ...make sure you explain all this to your son and what to do in an emergency etc. As a kid we had a baddd ice storm and I was confused and I was hearing, so i can jst imagine if he relies on lip reading and ASL that he might be confused if the power goes out, just not sre how many power outages, if any, he has gone through...best of luck to you..you guys will be fine:)

I think we should all calm down and visit canada lol...it was -40 with the wind chill the other day and that isn't the coldest it can get up here so buck up soldiers lol...The ice and snow can be really bad and we have gotten some really bad ice and winter storms...we had the most coldest and snowiest winters last year since 1972 lol...Just make sure you are prepared for the worst. Plenty of water is essential as well as blankets and a fireplace is key...i would go out and get matches and firewood and such to tend to the fire...my bf and I use firewood as well as old newspaper sometimes to feed the fire so it's not so hard to start..A flashlight or two is key ...make sure you explain all this to your son and what to do in an emergency etc. As a kid we had a baddd ice storm and I was confused and I was hearing, so i can jst imagine if he relies on lip reading and ASL that he might be confused if the power goes out, just not sre how many power outages, if any, he has gone through...best of luck to you..you guys will be fine:)

Alicia - I noticed that you're a Canuck.... did you have the worst ice storm back in 1998??

please...let's not compare the weather between posters. let's try to support lori, okay? it's not helping anything by telling her that someone is worse off because it reaches -40. it's considerably colder here in wisconsin than it is in arkansas, but you don't see me saying anything about that, do you?

i heard from lori in a pm in which she stated that she has lost power. let's hope power is restored soon for her.

This ice storm they are predicting us could knock out power and stuff...how do ya'll do it? I have a fire place for heat, but I don't think I have flashlights or such for lights (and don't have money to get some) how do I keep the most heat in this one room and how do I walk the dogs to go potty?? any ideas would be appricated.

:bowlol:

I'm still laughing . . . I can't believe I'm reading something like this. You have to be kidding, chris' mom? You've been in the south too long when you don't know this! :bowlol:

I've got about three feet of snow piled everywhere and some streets have ice on them with dirt and salt thrown on for good measure. The salt isn't melting anything because we've had way below zero farenheit temps, not to mention the windchills.

Stay warm, turn up the heat and when the dogs' need to go potty, providing your backyard is fenced, let them out to do it. Let them back in when they're done. Sometimes, the dogs like staying out in the cold. Snickers loves the snow and cold, but there is a limit to what she can take.

Back