People from the north...

When i lived in the apt in rochester during the great ice storm, I had no power , heat for a week. I went to local grocery store tops that had generator for power and i bought couple package of hotdogs and ketchup and case of rubbing alcohol. I poured the alcohol in the small sauce pan, lit it.I used that for heat,light, and cooking the hotdogs. granted its not the greatest taste of hotdogs, but it was cheap and easy. It kept me fed and happy. I was single and alone at the time and poor. My roommate was at a freinds house and claimed he couldnt go anywhere so i never saw him for a week. NO power for TV, I was too hard up to buy newpaper for news, and had to conserve battery power on tty for emergencies only. SO chrismom- I wouldnt worry about the ice storm. At least you will be well prepared since you know about this ahead of time, AR is warmer then NY, and we had more ice at the time then you will.

if worse comes to worst.... go to local library or 24/7 wal-mart (or store) and stay there.

lighting up rubbing alcohol in a sauce pan for heat? i've never heard of that before.

i would suggest that when you are able to do so, you purchase a small, portable heater.

lighting up alcohol in a sauce pan for heat? i've never heard of that before.

it's same principle as lantern. it's not like gasoline where it'll go into huge flame.

:cool2: i didn't know that!

if you want to play fire - dip a small cloth into rubbing alcohol and then light it up. the fire will go out after several seconds and the cloth will stay intact. cool experiment. :cool2:

if you want to play fire - dip a small cloth into rubbing alcohol and then light it up. the fire will go out after several seconds and the cloth will stay intact. cool experiment. :cool2:

really? i'll have to try that sometime. :giggle:

its true - works like canned heat.

hear again - I dont need to get small portable heat - i was only referring to what happened to me in the great 1991 ice storm in rochesterwhen i was single. Now I live in a nice home, with a family that has a wood stove so no worries. :D:wave:

hear again - I dont need to get small portable heat - i was only referring to what happened to me in the great 1991 ice storm in rochesterwhen i was single. Now I live in a nice home, with a family that has a wood stove so no worries. :D:wave:

oh, i'm sorry radioman. when i recommended portable heat, it was directed at lori the OP.

Do I know you?? Because I remember that ice storm as well!

This ice storm they are predicting us could knock out power and stuff...how do ya'll do it? I have a fire place for heat, but I don't think I have flashlights or such for lights (and don't have money to get some) how do I keep the most heat in this one room and how do I walk the dogs to go potty?? any ideas would be appricated.

Candles, and plenty of them. They will warm up the room. But be sure to keep them high out of reach of your dogs. As far as taking your dogs to go potty in the cold, I don't know. Bundle up, I would say....I don't have much experience in taking the dogs out in the frigid winters in such cases as this, because I have never had the power go out on me in the winter while I was living in Wisconsin in a foster home with 3 adult dogs and 5 puppies. (Yeah, raising and whelping the puppies was fun, though). Do you have doggy coats? (I believe they have them at Walmart or Petsmart). You can get flashlights for cheap at 99 cent stores and other dollar stores. Batteries at those stores as well. But, Candles are best as long as you keep them in high places out of reach because dogs can knock them over. Lots of dollar stores have lots of candles for rather cheap. I have tons of candles myself because power goes out semi-frequently here at my complex.

1. flashlights at any store are cheap... like $5-10. I'm sure you can afford that.
2. use candles
3. i'm assuming your fireplace is in your living room. you shouldn't worry about heating issue since fireplace is very effective enough to keep your home warm
4. just make sure you have enough woods (LOT) and food and water enough for 1+ weeks (depending on your previous experience with power outage)
5. as for dogs to go potty... you shouldn't worry about it since fireplace is excellent source of heat for a long time
6. you might want to make sure you seal out any air leak that steals your warm air especially under the door - simply cover it with towel.
7. if you think you'll lose power for more than a week - clean your bathtub and fill it with water - that would be your source of water. if that irks you - well fill up water bottles/jugs you have but use bathtub water for your toilet and sink.

You can get gallons of bottled water for quite cheap at Walmart...get the Great Value brand, they come at about 67 cents per gallon bottle. I have tons of them in my kitchen. But still use the bathtub water for the toilet and sink and washing up. You want to conserve the bottled water for drinking and brushing your teeth only.

Parents are out of state. It wouldn't be as bad but my oldest son's dad got fired so I lost $200 in child support this month. And my soon to be ex husband refuses to pay any type of support till he's court ordered to do so. Right now we live on Chris' SSI of 674 month

Fathers who refuses to pay child support pisses me off. :mad2: They aren't qualified to be called "fathers" or "dads" until they pay up.

He wanted me to give him joint custody..I laughted my ass off..he has never taken Chris to his therapies (cause of his work schedule) and doesn't know ASL (what Chris knows) so it's hard for them to communicate..YEA real winner there.

Don't give him joint custody until he forks over the money. (Unless your son wants to see him, that is).

OH my, hope everything works out for you and the boys. please do keep us updated with your situation.

other suggestion to keep warm at nights, when the fire is on low.....cuddle up together in one bed!

Use as many blankets/bedspeads as you have available.

I was going to suggest a portable heaters to keep warm in the house if you are not using the fireplace or fire stove. Also I suggest that you have plenty of blankets to keep warm for you and the kids in the bedrooms. The ADers have many good suggestions on how to survive in the icy storm or freezing weather. You live in Arkansas. I don't know if Fayetteville is a city or a small town. You just have to do the best what you can do around the house to keep warm and your dog to go out potty in the freezing weather. It is not too bad up in Canada even if I live in the south central of Canada. I have three heaters in my house if I ran out of oil in my furnace. The Band Office (Indian office) told us that we can not have a fireplace or fire stove to keep warm and we must have oil for the furnace better than this. The reason is cause of fire in the home so we have to be extra careful with fireplaces in the home. So good luck and keep warm. :thumb:

I was going to suggest a portable heaters to keep warm in the house if you are not using the fireplace or fire stove. Also I suggest that you have plenty of blankets to keep warm for you and the kids in the bedrooms. The ADers have many good suggestions on how to survive in the icy storm or freezing weather. You live in Arkansas. I don't know if Fayetteville is a city or a small town. You just have to do the best what you can do around the house to keep warm and your dog to go out potty in the freezing weather. It is not too bad up in Canada even if I live in the south central of Canada. I have three heaters in my house if I ran out of oil in my furnace. The Band Office (Indian office) told us that we can not have a fireplace or fire stove to keep warm and we must have oil for the furnace better than this. The reason is cause of fire in the home so we have to be extra careful with fireplaces in the home. So good luck and keep warm. :thumb:

I think she will do ok since she is in Arkansas. It doesn't get that FRIGID there. I know....I've been to Arkansas countless times...I used to go down there 4 to 6 times a year for so many years. If she was living in Wisconsin or Minnesota, then I would worry a lot more. It gets very FRIGID there, even down to -40! But Arkansas...maybe down to 20 degrees ABOVE zero, which is not too bad and I would not worry so much about losing power at 20 degrees. I grew up in Wisconsin from the age of 4 until I moved to Minnesota on or around my 21st birthday, and then lived there for 5 years. I finally moved to Texas in 2006. No more subzero weather for me, yay!

Back