People from the north...

Just giving updates. School let out at 1pm and when I got the boys home I made home made chili, put up blankets in the doorways to the part of the house we won't use, put a fire in the fireplace (about 5), put up a tent (small one) for the boys in the living room and watched movies till they crashed at 9:30. So far we have power, and 1/2 inch of ice. There are about 1800 people west of us without power so it's just a matter of time if we're going to lose it. Thanks guys for all your suggestions. So far we are staying nice and cozy. The kids are excited they already cancelled school for tomorrow

Just giving updates. School let out at 1pm and when I got the boys home I made home made chili, put up blankets in the doorways to the part of the house we won't use, put a fire in the fireplace (about 5), put up a tent (small one) for the boys in the living room and watched movies till they crashed at 9:30. So far we have power, and 1/2 inch of ice. There are about 1800 people west of us without power so it's just a matter of time if we're going to lose it. Thanks guys for all your suggestions. So far we are staying nice and cozy. The kids are excited they already cancelled school for tomorrow

sounds like a really cool camping trip in your living room! i wanna join! :cool2:

one way to stay comfy (weather wise). My kids love it and if they are happy mommy is happy. I think I'll leave it up till I get tired of hearing the fight about it..lol

one way to stay comfy (weather wise). My kids love it and if they are happy mommy is happy. I think I'll leave it up till I get tired of hearing the fight about it..lol

lol!
shemademe_smilie.gif

he's touching me, he won't leave my toy alone, get away from me, mom he said damn it, he won't shut up...

if you want to play fire - dip a small cloth into rubbing alcohol and then light it up. the fire will go out after several seconds and the cloth will stay intact. cool experiment. :cool2:

ummm dont play with fire :P

if you end up using candles like some suggested or getting a small kersene heater or something like that be sure to have some ventilation somehow in your house. and if you use those id suggest a battery powered smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detector or one that houses both in one unit.

lucia,

you ain't kidding about how d*mn cold it gets around here. i can't wait to move to arizona.

I don't even know people handle the cold weather.. it's 28 degress here right now (a few weeks ago we go down to 5) but I can't imgine -40..

-40 degree weather this time of year is good packer (green bay packers) weather. :giggle:

seriously, you do get used to the cold once it has been lingering around for awhile. eventually 30 degrees feels like a heat wave.

I think she will do ok since she is in Arkansas. It doesn't get that FRIGID there. I know....I've been to Arkansas countless times...I used to go down there 4 to 6 times a year for so many years. If she was living in Wisconsin or Minnesota, then I would worry a lot more. It gets very FRIGID there, even down to -40! But Arkansas...maybe down to 20 degrees ABOVE zero, which is not too bad and I would not worry so much about losing power at 20 degrees. I grew up in Wisconsin from the age of 4 until I moved to Minnesota on or around my 21st birthday, and then lived there for 5 years. I finally moved to Texas in 2006. No more subzero weather for me, yay!

I really hope this doesn't come acrossed rude..I'm not thinking clearly right now (sleeping pills are working). But in my opinion I found this to be hurtfull, rude something. Just cause it's in the 20 doesn't mean to us Arkansans that it isn't that bad. Yes could be worse but for us this icestorm is worse, the 5 degree weather we had a week or so ago was worse. To us arkansas we are use to the milder temps and no ice and hardly any snow. So we tend to get worried about our health and safety even if it's 20 over zero. I worry about lossing power in any cold weather as I have myself, a 9 year old, a 6 year old and a 4 year old. I worry about lossing the only food I have (if power failure ws to happen) to feed my kids till middle of February.

So to the ones that gave us great suggestions I appricated it. To the ones that I feel rudely tells us it's no big deal it's worse for people up north..thanks for our imputs too

that's why thread is titled people from the north. I wanted to know how they handled the out of norm or even the norm weather. Because are experienced in having lots of snow and ice and 20 degree weather. I think that's prett much their norm and when it's not norm to have -40 what they did to surivive it.

lori,

when i know the weather is expected to be -40, i make sure to do a week's worth of grocery shopping by buying canned items, frozen food and snacks. i also double check the heat (even though i live in an apartment) to make sure that it's working properly. i also run water in my kitchen and bathroom pipes frequently so as to prevent them from freezing. in addition, i always keep a portable weather radio as well as an am/fm radio in a drawer for emergencies in case the power goes out. i also have a small tv/am/fm boombox from the early 80s that i keep batteries in so that i can watch tv in case the cable is disconnected.

your post made me think of something. if you have an automatic ice maker and extra room in the freezer pack some ice in bowls or gallons zip lock baggies or soemthing that is water proof and pack the freezer full if the power did go off that should keep it colder longer. just like a cooler packed with ice will keep things cold for awhile. and keep the doors closed unless you have to get something out and then be kinda quick about it.

on another note. Arkansas. i ended up sleeping in my truck at a rest area in august 1997 down there and ive never seen such big skeeters! i was scratching for a week afterwards!

lori,

i also run water in my kitchen and bathroom pipes frequently so as to prevent them from freezing. in addition,

im not sure where i read it, if it was on AD in another thread or another site but that you could leave the faucets on at just a drip and it would keep the pipes from freezing. cant say first hand if it works but like i said just read that somewhere.

I've actually be quite shocked our skeeter problems haven't been as bad over the last few years. I'm shocked. Skeeters loves me and I'm glad it's not been too terriblably bad for us. But yes I hate those things

Back