Votes: 19 29.7%
  • No

Votes: 31 48.4%
  • Maybe or sometimes

Votes: 14 21.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
well, no.. im not saying i think oral only is the best way to go for all deaf students. i'm just simply sharing my experience and saying "hey hey i am someone who had an oral only approach and hey! guess what! it worked out well! it IS a possibility!" so, don't knock down the oral only approach cuz with patience, understanding, a lot of time, and good teachers who understand not to face the blackboard while speaking, plus accommodations like note taking, etc. it IS indeed possible to be successful when raised oral only. Like i said before, i do know its not a one size fits all. everyone is different.

and yeah, i am not exaggerating, my parents were strongly advised that i do not attend a deaf school - by professors of the school itself! - cause they felt that they would've actually delayed me. since i was already doing so well in mainstream.

That's a lotta "ifs".:cool2: Wonder what the odds are of having all those "ifs" in place in a mainstream setting for a student for 12 years consistently?

So, they did not recommend that you not attend because your IQ was too high for admission to their program. They just did not feel that you needed additional services to prepare you for the mainstream setting. That is quite different than saying your IQ was too high.

I was 4-5 when I was tested. I don't even know HOW they tested me. I just remembered my mom said they tested my IQ and stated that it was too high. It's possible they tested for other things, such as communication skills. Not sure. It doesn't matter anyway, I have no proof and I'm sure you're rolling your eyes. Oh well.

When I was talking about deaf schools before, I was thinking of schools that use visual means for communication. Basically, anything but oral-only.

Well, that certainly wasn't it. Having a bad day?

Nah, I am a pretty happy go lucky girl, but I have a pretty dark outlook on life. The way I see it, deafness sucks no matter what you do. There will ALWAYS be bad moments in our lives no matter what school you go to. You will always have doubts in your mind "Would I be happier in middle/high school if I went to a deaf school?" "If I get the CI, would I have better chances in the hearing world?", and so on. I'm sure people feel sorry for me because I "missed out so many things". I don't mind. Everyone deals with realities of life with deafness, some deal with it sooner than others.

I was 4-5 when I was tested. I don't even know HOW they tested me. I just remembered my mom said they tested my IQ and stated that it was too high. It's possible they tested for other things, such as communication skills. Not sure. It doesn't matter anyway, I have no proof and I'm sure you're rolling your eyes. Oh well.

When I was talking about deaf schools before, I was thinking of schools that use visual means for communication. Basically, anything but oral-only.

But not all deaf schools use visual modes of communication. There are a number of deaf oral only schools.

Nah, I am a pretty happy go lucky girl, but I have a pretty dark outlook on life. The way I see it, deafness sucks no matter what you do. There will ALWAYS be bad moments in our lives no matter what school you go to. You will always have doubts in your mind "Would I be happier in middle/high school if I went to a deaf school?" "If I get the CI, would I have better chances in the hearing world?", and so on. I'm sure people feel sorry for me because I "missed out so many things". I don't mind. Everyone deals with realities of life with deafness, some deal with it sooner than others.

That is not unique to deaf people.

But not all deaf schools use visual modes of communication. There are a number of deaf oral only schools.

Yes, I know. I was separating deaf oral only schools from the rest of the deaf schools and calling them "oral schools" in this thread.

Again, are "oral schools" mainstream schools or deaf oral only schools?

Yes, I know. I was separating deaf oral only schools from the rest of the deaf schools and calling them "oral schools" in this thread.

Again, are "oral schools" mainstream schools or deaf oral only schools?

You'll have to ask Faire Jour what she meant.:dunno2: While mainstream schools are orally based in their curriculum (unless they have a self contained sign based program, in which case the child is not really mainstreamed, but simply served in a separate program in the mainstream), not all oral programs are mainstream programs. For clarification, though, there are fully integrated mainstream programs, self contained mainstream programs (both sign based and oral based), oral deaf schools, sign supplemented deaf schools, and Bi-Bi deaf schools.

Its been my experience, though, that the majority of people who refer to having been educated in an oral environment are referring to the mainstream. Most oral deaf schools have as their primary goal mainstreaming the student. For instance, since we were discussing Clarke, they serve only through age 15, so that when a student reaches that age, whether they are truly prepared or not, they are mainstreamed. You will find that the deaf schools with a sign oriented curriculum actually serve through age 21, as do the public schools.

I agree. pretty much every deaf kid or adult, regardless of their upbringing - whether it was oral only, sign only, or a combo - is gonna always have a "what if" on their mind. theres always gonna be something that could've "been better" or whatever. The bother factor varies, sure. But the thought crosses minds, of course.

I was asking two questions.

1st, oral school for the deaf

2nd, mainstream with no interpreter

I agree. pretty much every deaf kid or adult, regardless of their upbringing - whether it was oral only, sign only, or a combo - is gonna always have a "what if" on their mind. theres always gonna be something that could've "been better" or whatever. The bother factor varies, sure. But the thought crosses minds, of course.

Everyone second guesses. Even hearing.

well, no.. im not saying i think oral only is the best way to go for all deaf students. i'm just simply sharing my experience and saying "hey hey i am someone who had an oral only approach and hey! guess what! it worked out well! it IS a possibility!" so, don't knock down the oral only approach cuz with patience, understanding, a lot of time, and good teachers who understand not to face the blackboard while speaking, plus accommodations like note taking, etc. it IS indeed possible to be successful when raised oral only. Like i said before, i do know its not a one size fits all. everyone is different.

and yeah, i am not exaggerating, my parents were strongly advised that i do not attend a deaf school - by professors of the school itself! - cause they felt that they would've actually delayed me. since i was already doing so well in mainstream.

if you are happy being oralism, then you shouldn't be here (deaf forum), you should be happy with your hearing peers.

:hmm:...just wondering how all this effective lip reading took place in a classroom, or how one effectively lip reads another student sitting behind them, a teacher who is speaking while writing on the board.
(we don't read lips, we only played the guessing game all day long)

Who said it made it less real? Simply making an observation that second guessing was not unique to the deaf.

I do second guess, but very little about "what if I went to a deaf school", or "what if I was mainstreamed" or "what if I had a CI". My impression is that oral deaf people are more second guessing on their deafness, and more unhappy about their deafness compared to native signers. It's perhaps more correct to say second guessing on deafness is a trait of oral deaf people, not all deaf people?

I think many here would dispute that being deaf sucks.

Jillio was quoting an article stating all the "bad things" that a deaf person experiences. So that was my response to Jillio. Everyone has bad moments due to something they have (or in our case, don't have).

if you are happy being oralism, then you shouldn't be here (deaf forum), you should be happy with your hearing peers.

Your comment had left me tremendously puzzled. I really believe that all of us should consider learning to accept one another as how they were raised. You have under the impression thinks that she will be happy better off with her hearing peers elsewhere, just because sirensa rossa is an oral deaf person.

I am a firm believer that all people are created equal, and no matter how they were raised, should be accepted equally. I'm sorry to say that this forum isn't only for the "Deaf pride" where you must share the same language and communication as one of their own in their culture.

How do you know she was missing out? ust because you did, doesn't mean she did. Your story is not her story.

I remember her old posts from a few years ago about it. Anyways, it is common knowledge that deaf children do not have equal access to information like hearing children have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back