One question for deafies (and hearies too) -- related to 'sksk'

Vance

Reaction score
I had the conversation with Deaf258 this morning thru IM, it reminds me of one thing that I kept forgetting to make a topic and ask deafies (and hearies) until now. So I want to grab the opportunity before I 'forget' again ;)

I honestly found it puzzled myself when some deafies said 'sksksk' thru AIM or any form of IM clients when we were done with our convo. I must admit that I am not one of people who would say that thru any form of IM clients but I do that thru TTY and relay.

It kinda got me curious why did some deafies do that? Is it part of deaf culture or some kind of habit? Should I pick this habit up and use it thru AIM/MSN/Yahoo when I have the convo with deafies?

You see, before I found this community, AD.. I spent the time with hearies-communities for several years. As mod/admin of few communities, I tend to get the IMs from hearies often so I have accustomed to not say 'sksksk' to deafies since hearies -- my friends/members never use that (most of them don't know anything about deaf and deaf culture).

I sometimes wonder... am I rude to deafies if I didn't say 'sksksk' to them when our convo is over?

Magatsu said:
I had the conversation with Deaf258 this morning thru IM, it reminds me of one thing that I kept forgetting to make a topic and ask deafies until now. So I want to grab the opportunity before I 'forget' again ;)

I honestly found it puzzled myself when some deafies said 'sksksk' thru AIM or any form of IM clients when we were done with our convo. I must admit that I am not one of people who would say that thru any form of IM clients but I do that thru TTY and relay.

It kinda got me curious why did some deafies do that? Is it part of deaf culture or some kind of habit? Should I pick this habit up and use it thru AIM/MSN/Yahoo when I have the convo with deafies?

You see, before I found this community, AD.. I spent the time with hearies-communities for several years. As mod/admin of few communities, I tend to get the IMs from hearies often so I have accustomed to not say 'sksksk' to deafies since hearies -- my friends/members never use that (most of them don't know anything about deaf and deaf culture).

I sometimes wonder... am I rude to deafies if I didn't say 'sksksk' to them when our convo is over?

Bad habit, I guess. my family and friends use ditto and deafies use sksk. I don't think you are rude. Maybe make your own one to let them know ur done with them instead of using sksk?

I don't consider that as rude. I 'assume' that it is a habit of deafies to say sksk due to using TTY. So it is one of the habit to say sksk to end the conversation while using TTY. I don't say sksk on IM either.

no its not rude at all. I am positive some deafies have the habit of saying "sksk" I've noticed a very few people do that good topic and it's interesting to know about the issue.

my opinion is its just the habit and no its not rude at all as long as u did say "bye" or whatever you want to say at the end of the conversation that we know when we're done talking...

it annoys me to no end on IM when it happens rarely, but it happens sometimes because habits are hard to kill sometimes.

jazzy, Yeah I did. Like... 'bye', 'later dude/gal' or 'arrivederci'.

Thanks everyone for the feedbacks/opinions! :thumb:

So far, deafies never ask me about why I didn't say 'sksksk' but I only hope that they didn't feel offend that I didn't say 'sksksk' at the end of conversation.

I wouldn't be offended if you didn't type "sksk" Alot of times I talked to people on aims and sometimes I forget to say "bye" I would sign off. Do not mean to be rude sometimes I am in a rush, and don't have time to type that I am leaving. Forgive me for that. ;)

I did type "sksk" a few times before, I guess it just a habit. :)

nah u dont rude.. some of my friends same thing say sksk , i say most bye..

I've been there before...

heh...one time I caught a guy who was cheating on his wife and I was going to tell his wife what happened on AIM...and his wife sounds kind of "funny" in a way...I dunno I guess you could say that not all deaf people writes perfectly but I don't blame them anyway...but it's just what I suspected when I was talking to his "wife", who should be a hearie, but it was actually that guy who cheated on his wife the whole time! so at the end of the conversation, the guy typed "sk sk"...I find it kind of odd why the "wife" would do that...and then I figured it wasn't the "wife"...it was the guy the whole time so he got busted! :D you know that most hearing people don't put in "sk sk" like some deaf people do when they are finished with a conversation they are in...you know? so anyway, I only use "sk sk" when I use the relay service...not on AIM...because when I leave the conversation, I always go "peace" before I sign off. lol

I never say sk on aim. I always say bye, gtg, later etc. some deaf friends say sk some don't.

As a hearie, I don't find it rude. I use it sometimes...but rarely. I never do it with another hearie.

Magatsu said:
I had the conversation with Deaf258 this morning thru IM, it reminds me of one thing that I kept forgetting to make a topic and ask deafies (and hearies) until now. So I want to grab the opportunity before I 'forget' again ;)

good question.. wow..
i say SKSK.. cuz it is a habit that i developed from the deaf community/deaf culture.. grrr.. and i am like accustomed to it.. and trying to break the habit lol..

Magatsu said:

I understand what you are saying Magatsu. I chat frequently with FlyFree, and she add qq at the end of her dialog quite often. I was curious about that, so I asked her one day wth that was about. :lol: And, she basically said it meant "question". (I think ...I'm actually forgetting her explanation). But, she did explain what it meant.

You're not alone in getting an education regarding certain "deaf lingo". ;)

:lol:

Yeah, some hearings get confused when I type "remmy" instead of "remember"

I don't like it when some deafies type "smile". I think it's corny

:lol: ..

Oh no, I don't think it is rude for a person who doesn't type sk at the end when they're leaving, I have a habit of doing that everytime I have to sign off I said ' sk ' at the end, meaning I am leaving right NOW!.... :giggle: ...

I don't like it when some deafies type "smile". I think it's corny

I do type that sometimes sorry, I will remember not to say it to you! :aw:

yeah I don't use sksk cuz it sounds corny so I just say bye then sign off.. if the person try to keep me online I wud just sign off without saying bye. ;)

Magatsu..

Honestly, In past we didn't say sk thru Any IM If I remember! then starting a year or two ago, I notice more and more people using SK or sksk when they decide to sign off too that got me to have habits again..

I think it was around the same time people using sksk online I think.. when Relay was online at the time.. Now people say ga or sk Im like hmm Im not going anywhere! LOL

Wendy

:rofl: all of you have interesting experiences & opinions with 'sksksk' issue! I am so glad that I created this topic to find out :rofl:

Yeah I don't really type SKSK at the end of a conversation but I find it useful because sometimes deaf people would have something to add after saying "Bye". "Oh one more thing..." "He said... " "You know what?" etc. It's like saying P.S. on a letter, but using SKSK indicating that you are "stop keying" (which is what SK stands for, in case for those who don't know what SK stands for). Sometimes I would find it convenient, knowing that the person on the other end is done for real and I'm done too so in reply, I say SKSK and the conversation is ended without misunderstandings or whatsoever. It's not a force of habit for me, although I have had a freudian slip once in a while with some hearing people I've met online. I would think I'm talking to someone through the relay, I would either say, "GA" or "SK" and the person on the other end would say, "HUH?". I would either explain what it is or just simply say, "never mind, mistell".

Pyrollis, it is more convenient for me to say "f**k you" when I am done with our convo :D

Naw, I wouldn't :>

Last edited:
Back