Oh serious.. please...

damn. "YOU'RE FIRED!"
You should've added this

Donald%20Trump%20You%27re%20Fired%20Above%20the%20Law%20blog.gif

ya i do agree with..Y should i even care when my interpreter is giving out my notes perfectly?fluency bla bla doesnt really matter yaar

I will respond more to this when I'm on my laptop.

Note to beuwulf: this story I told you guys about happened to a deaf "celebrity" that I know personally. Most of you guys know him too. I might be able to get him on this thread to share his story....

This sometimes worries me about interpreting although I could say.. i am fluent in english.. sometimes i see words and or people use words i've never heard before and feel so bad.. i really need to start reading more because i need to know broaden my vocabulary!

I will respond more to this when I'm on my laptop.

Note to beuwulf: this story I told you guys about happened to a deaf "celebrity" that I know personally. Most of you guys know him too. I might be able to get him on this thread to share his story....

The only deaf celebrity that I know is that fella from the Ultimate Fighter and UFC :) is it him?

Other that that, I'm not hip with it :roll:

The only deaf celebrity that I know is that fella from the Ultimate Fighter and UFC :) is it him?

Other that that, I'm not hip with it :roll:

lol, that is other of my deaf celebrity people I know. I used to live with Matt Hamill for about 6 months.

Speaking of which, I emailed my friend this link - Let's see if he will honor us with his presence.

That example is particularly unacceptable. :mad: Legal interpreters are supposed to be the most qualified, and certified in that specialty.

Do we have to expect an interpreter to have perfect English while we need them to SIGN good for us....that's the most important part. We just need notetakers that have good English, which is the other important part. I don't care about what English skills a sign language interpreter has as long he/she can sign fluently that I care about.

Like others have said in this thread - Interpreting is a job that requires extensive skills.

Normally people will process just 60% of the information presented to them. Extremely skilled interpreters process AND DELIVER at least 91%.

Think of it at this way - The difference of a "normal" interpreter and a skilled interpreter - you get *at least* 30% more information translated correctly TO YOU in SIGN.

How can YOU as a deaf individual know the interpreter is actually giving you the most information? It's tricky, I'll give you that.

I have my utmost respect for interpreters. It's just that some of them shouldn't be interpreting in certain situations. It's 100% not their fault they're doing it. The fault also lies in the "Administrative" system that manages interpreting and that varies from state to state.

...I have my utmost respect for interpreters. It's just that some of them shouldn't be interpreting in certain situations. It's 100% not their fault they're doing it. The fault also lies in the "Administrative" system that manages interpreting and that varies from state to state.
It is also the responsibility of the terp to know his or her limitations and turn down assignments that are beyond those limitations. A terp that isn't certified specifically for court interpreting has no business accepting the assignment. (Most courts won't offer the assignment to non-certified terps but some might.)

It is also the responsibility of the terp to know his or her limitations and turn down assignments that are beyond those limitations. A terp that isn't certified specifically for court interpreting has no business accepting the assignment. (Most courts won't offer the assignment to non-certified terps but some might.)

Exactly. I forgot to include that - It's a direct violation of the CPC as well.

Right, Reba. I see legal people, or high level md visit, I want the terp to know more than basics. I worked hard for my degree, I dont want a terp to make me sound like a sophomore, jeopordize my licensing, or have ill effects on a legal or medical relationship.

Interpreters should have a damned good English.
I read some interpreter's introduction and such - their English sucks. That alone makes me shudder and wonder about MY interpreters that I use.

.... sigh...

I'm confused, was the introduction casual and personal or was it while they were working?

Of course, when signing in ASL... the English will suck!

Perhaps, you need an interpreter that signs in SEE.

Curious... how bad is the terp's English?

I'm confused, was the introduction casual and personal or was it while they were working?
There are excellent examples on this great forum.
It just gave me flashbacks....Of how the interpreters could speak for the Deaf, how the interpreters actually understood the clients...

I did not copy and paste these examples because I don't need interpreters pissed off at me.

There are excellent examples on this great forum.
It just gave me flashbacks....Of how the interpreters could speak for the Deaf, how the interpreters actually understood the clients...

I did not copy and paste these examples because I don't need interpreters pissed off at me.

Hnn....well you mentioned it..so now.. we must see proof of what you're talking about.. plus i think personally it would educate me ;)

I don't care what you do or what you have study to become. I don't care how professional you are. I don't care how qualified you are. You are bond to make mistakes.

The wise ones are the ones who make mistakes and learn from them. Someone who never makes mistakes has never tried anything new.

Even lawyers make mistakes, Presidents, judges, workers, interpreters, and people. No matter the reason.

The person who this happend to could have stopped interpreter and told him/her that there is a missunderstanding of what was said.

I have worked with some of the most highly qualified interpreters and all of them will tell you that there are times when they have made wrongful interpretation. I know one really well and I was told by her once,

" No matter what mistake is made while I am interpreting; whatever, the reason be, then cut me off and tell me I am wrong because if I cannot accept being wrong. Then I am in the wrong business!"

I don't care what you do or what you have study to become. I don't care how professional you are. I don't care how qualified you are. You are bond to make mistakes.

The wise ones are the ones who make mistakes and learn from them. Someone who never makes mistakes has never tried anything new.

Even lawyers make mistakes, Presidents, judges, workers, interpreters, and people. No matter the reason.

The person who this happend to could have stopped interpreter and told him/her that there is a missunderstanding of what was said.

I have worked with some of the most highly qualified interpreters and all of them will tell you that there are times when they have made wrongful interpretation. I know one really well and I was told by her once,

" No matter what mistake is made while I am interpreting; whatever, the reason be, then cut me off and tell me I am wrong because if I cannot accept being wrong. Then I am in the wrong business!"

Thats okay and acceptable. But my point was about people who have horrible English. These people are bound to make a *LOT* more mistakes.

Back