Obsession on deafness or disability?

Please RE-READ again. No, it is not everybody because not everybody would think this way, I am target those who THINKS that CI is a solution or miracle.

What I said is very clear, maybe I should lowered my English standard especially for you...

THOSE WHO THINKS, including those with late deafened that those who were born Deaf needs fixing.

Isn't that clear enough for you?

No. It is not. You are stating, "THOSE WHO THINKS" and then qualifying it with a specific group.

And, you might want to check the usage of, "THOSE WHO THINKS".

I am not changing, and even though I mentioned those who are late deafened does NOT mean every late deafened. There are some late deafened that THINKS those who are born Deaf needs fixing and I am including them as well. I don't think there are that many Deaf who are born Deaf would think they need fixing.

No. It is not. You are stating, "THOSE WHO THINKS" and then qualifying it with a specific group.

And, you might want to check the usage of, "THOSE WHO THINKS".

Or the employers in your area let it be!

I am in one that for years I found employers requiring everyone in the office to answer incoming voice phone calls. That no matter if you were willing to do other tasks not covered by your job description to free others to handle the phones. My personal experience with this is getting old but I am under the impressing it still exists.

ahhh but see here's where choices need to be made. Is it disabling in talking on the phone? Yes, so you have to find something else, where it's not disabling.

I mostly find it annoying when late deafened people try to be authorities on how education and life should be for children starting out as deaf people.

They really have no knowledge or experience, but somehow think their life experiences should apply.

They absolutely know nothing, and it is very hard not to express the hostility that their attitude engenders.

X2 like the person in my sig. Deaf do not obsess on their hearing loss, where as culturally hearing folks who have a hearing loss often obsess on the pathological view of their hearing loss and that of others. Again the person in the quote below is a perfect example. However the rest of us Deafies are joined by a common language and enjoy life and general discussion. The physical hearing loss is really no more significant than the color of our hair or how tall we r etc.:deaf:
I know many Deafies and can probably say I have never even mentioned or discussed or talked about their specific hearing loss with more than 1/2 a dozen of them and then it was probably bought up because it was related to a topic of discussion and was relevant. Most was prob related to them asking about why I got CI. Or that they were considering one.

I have to disagree with you, it is revelant.

Why? Okay supposed a person that you meet up and he/she gives you a medical opinion. What are you going to ask them? Do they have medical degrees, where did they get knowledge from?

That applies to question about Deafness, and he wanted know what your qualification? Maybe you have taken course about Deafness? and so on. Irrelevant? I don't think so.

If the person I'm meeting up with isn't a doctor, who the Hell cares what they think? If I disagree with a doctor, I'll go to another. I actually don't go around asking people what their qualifications are to state an opinion. Is that a crime to disagree or impact your life in a major way?

Laura

X2 like the person in my sig. Deaf do not obsess on their hearing loss, where as culturally hearing folks who have a hearing loss often obsess on the pathological view of their hearing loss and that of others. Again the person in the quote below is a perfect example. However the rest of us Deafies are joined by a common language and enjoy life and general discussion. The physical hearing loss is really no more significant than the color of our hair or how tall we r etc.:deaf:
I know many Deafies and can probably say I have never even mentioned or discussed or talked about their specific hearing loss with more than 1/2 a dozen of them and then it was probably bought up because it was related to a topic of discussion and was relevant. Most was prob related to them asking about why I got CI. Or that they were considering one.

Well obviously, some people are making a big deal of it, hence the thread.

ahhh but see here's where choices need to be made. Is it disabling in talking on the phone? Yes, so you have to find something else, where it's not disabling.

or get a policy on job description to compromise, you see. in this day of 'shrinking staff numbers in many businesses are following the cult of efficiency and high profits but it places an enormous stress on everything (including ordinary hearing people) and so this 'cult of everyone everyone to be experts at smooth talking, and selling and 'communication skills' (which was NOT required a decade ago, as they HAD other staff to do this), i mean it is like we're seeing treads of ridding office staffs, its just crazy ...
i guess its long known as 'reasonable accomodation' but im also saying the trend of business efficiency has gone mad and it implies the need of 'perfect abled' people. so yer, deaf people are the 'reserve army of labour' or last resort.

Deaf people can talk on the phone...just in a different way.

That's the problem with society...not willing to accept diversity. I am not talking about skin color.

or get a policy on job description to compromise, you see. in this day of 'shrinking staff numbers in many businesses are following the cult of efficiency and high profits but it places an enormous stress on everything (including ordinary hearing people) and so this 'cult of everyone everyone to be experts at smooth talking, and selling and 'communication skills' (which was NOT required a decade ago, as they HAD other staff to do this), i mean it is like we're seeing treads of ridding office staffs, its just crazy ...
i guess its long known as 'reasonable accomodation' but im also saying the trend of business efficiency has gone mad and it implies the need of 'perfect abled' people. so yer, deaf people are the 'reserve army of labour' or last resort.

I encountered employers expecting everyone to answer incoming voice phone calls in a small town in Southern Illinois (USA) about two (2) decades (20 years) ago. I do not know when it started or if it is still going on as I have since retired.

It is factual a DEAF person CAN talk on a phone-assuming one is NOT "voice off"
However the other half of phone interaction- can same person HEAR/understand on a regular phone?

aside: I am bilateral DEAF and have/use a VCO TTY since 1996.
further aside: I do have a Cochlear Implant however can only hear the dial tone. From Sunnybrook/Toronto cochlear implant section- one out of two persons can't use their Implant on the regular phone. Their experience since 1984.

Last edited:
As to ongoing intermural discussion re DEAFness a "disability" re: state "benefits" a never ending circle.
Does the reaction how one deals with the fact of DEAFness have any meaning?

More discussion in Sociology re: "cultural vs disability"- DEAFness.

Last edited:
I guess one can experience the interaction of the dead re: commenting on prior discussion.

...and phone sex in the deaf version is just too wild LOL

:laugh2:...are you admitting you do phone sex, Grummer? :giggle:...got a call the other day...someone breathing very hard with hic-ups...and saying..."e-i...e-i-ooooo"....:laugh2:

:laugh2:...are you admitting you do phone sex, Grummer? :giggle:...got a call the other day...someone breathing very hard with hic-ups...and saying..."e-i...e-i-ooooo"....:laugh2:

lol no ,but i remmyed i saw a docu on a phone sex operator, they used kitchen utestils for sound effects and honking horns, and shaking beans in jar, really weird and slapping belt on cushions...it just silly but a silliest and surest way to make money...

lol no ,but i remmyed i saw a docu on a phone sex operator, they used kitchen utestils for sound effects and honking horns, and shaking beans in jar, really weird and slapping belt on cushions...it just silly but a silliest and surest way to make money...

:laugh2:...."Honking Horns"???? :bowlol:

Back