Obsession on deafness or disability?

naisho

Forum Disorders M.D.,Ph.D
Reaction score
Do you think there is a point where someone is too 'crazy' about their views or opinion on their deafness or disability? This can also apply to family like child, spouse, relatives, etc. Crazy enough that it becomes obsessive?

I feel like I can see it going both ways on deafness issues, from forcing a learning philosophy to a child like oralism, up to how "hearing" (or deaf) you can get being aided. At some point I feel like the obsession can also go into real life that it splits up relationships or friendships (this aso obviously applies to online forums, we seem to have both sides of the fence going on all the time).

What do you think about obsession into deaf issues? Do you think it is a good thing for the deaf and hearing communities overall?

Do you think there is a point where someone is too 'crazy' about their views or opinion on their deafness or disability? This can also apply to family like child, spouse, relatives, etc. Crazy enough that it becomes obsessive?

I feel like I can see it going both ways on deafness issues, from forcing a learning philosophy to a child like oralism, up to how "hearing" (or deaf) you can get being aided. At some point I feel like the obsession can also go into real life that it splits up relationships or friendships (this aso obviously applies to online forums, we seem to have both sides of the fence going on all the time).

What do you think about obsession into deaf issues? Do you think it is a good thing for the deaf and hearing communities overall?

I mostly find it annoying when late deafened people try to be authorities on how education and life should be for children starting out as deaf people.

They really have no knowledge or experience, but somehow think their life experiences should apply.

They absolutely know nothing, and it is very hard not to express the hostility that their attitude engenders.

That is true, there is a presence of late deafened lately. It could be due to the diversification of AD in recent years.

I think it's not so cut and dry anymore on AD where it used to be primarily ASL-only using deafies. Now we have the ASL-only, Oralism-only, hybrids who use both, CI groups. All group members seem to have different opinions from another group.

Is it is these passionate members of the groups that cause the debate/divide?
I think it applies to real life too, but people are also not as inquisitive when face to face.. This is because I have yet to see or know of an ASL user and a CI-oral user (or parent) get into a physical fight.

That is true, there is a presence of late deafened lately. It could be due to the diversification of AD in recent years.

I think it's not so cut and dry anymore on AD where it used to be primarily ASL-only using deafies. Now we have the ASL-only, Oralism-only, hybrids who use both, CI groups. All group members seem to have different opinions from another group.

Is it is these passionate members of the groups that cause the debate/divide?
I think it applies to real life too, but people are also not as inquisitive when face to face.. This is because I have yet to see or know of an ASL user and a CI-oral user (or parent) get into a physical fight.

I think you hit the nail on the head. On AD and in RL "deafness" is a very diverse group. People become deaf at many different ages and from many different causes. Plus, there are many different approaches to how one deals with their deafness. I think when people keep an open mind and allow people to deal with their lives on their own terms it creates an opportunity for open dialogue. But when people close their minds and start telling others how to live their life and mock the methods they choose, obviously problems arise. :lol: That goes for anything really, not just deafness. People are so quick to throw hate towards others just because they have a different view. Clarence Thomas is experiencing the same thing today. He sided against provisions of the VRA and now other members of his race are referring to him as "Uncle Thomas" because they feel that because he looks like them he should think like them. It's group think and it is very unhealthy IMO.

I think you hit the nail on the head. On AD and in RL "deafness" is a very diverse group. People become deaf at many different ages and from many different causes. Plus, there are many different approaches to how one deals with their deafness. I think when people keep an open mind and allow people to deal with their lives on their own terms it creates an opportunity for open dialogue. But when people close their minds and start telling others how to live their life and mock the methods they choose, obviously problems arise. :lol: That goes for anything really, not just deafness. People are so quick to throw hate towards others just because they have a different view. Clarence Thomas is experiencing the same thing today. He sided against provisions of the VRA and now other members of his race are referring to him as "Uncle Thomas" because they feel that because he looks like them he should think like them. It's group think and it is very unhealthy IMO.

very diverse is an overstatement, and also a misrepresentation of the 'surveyed facts'

let me ask you - AND DONT GOOGLE- I want YOUR words. whats the difference between deafness and disability?

Nope. Not at all, or at least it shouldn't be. Obviously some want it that way.

WHAT is YOUR qualifications?!!
go on how much Do you really know? if you all for hearing, ?! that is sad

go on how much Do you really know? why are you in so much denial, if you all for hearing, why arent you the member of 'All Hearing"?!

Why does anyone have to join "All Hearing" for their opinions to count? Besides, that forum is like a dead duck floating on water....I wasn't aware it was still active....

Laura

The issue is that there are people who see deafness as a disability and cant understand how several of us don't see it as a disability. Guess that's the huge division....the medical model of deafness vs. the cultural model of deafness. Cant get any simpler than that.

go on how much Do you really know? if you all for hearing, ?! that is sad

:lol: I know enough to know that people who are deaf and the ways and periods in which the acquired their deafness spans a diverse range. That should be obvious to any that reads a thread here on AD.

The issue is that there are people who see deafness as a disability and cant understand how several of us don't see it as a disability. Guess that's the huge division....the medical model of deafness vs. the cultural model of deafness. Cant get any simpler than that.

Why is that a division though? As I said earlier, if people remain open minded and allow people to believe as they see fit there should be no division at all.

I think we need to find a common ground and respect the sensitivities of all people. Hearing, HoH and deaf do need to respect Deaf people, but it goes both ways.

Take ASL meetings which are voice off because it is offensive to Deaf people. Now, I understand that it's offensive because nobody wants to feel left out, but if it's voice off some people do feel left out.

Unless we address everyone's needs that separation which affects relationships and family, as you state, is going to persist. You cannot solve an issue unless ever groups issues are addressed.

Once you address everyone's issues, relationships don't end.

I think we need to find a common ground and respect the sensitivities of all people. Hearing, HoH and deaf do need to respect Deaf people, but it goes both ways.

Take ASL meetings which are voice off because it is offensive to Deaf people. Now, I understand that it's offensive because nobody wants to feel left out, but if it's voice off some people do feel left out.

Unless we address everyone's needs that separation which affects relationships and family, as you state, is going to persist. You cannot solve an issue unless ever groups issues are addressed.

Once you address everyone's issues, relationships don't end.

Exactly. It s the bitterness that drives the wedge.

let me ask you - AND DONT GOOGLE- I want YOUR words. whats the difference between deafness and disability?

:lol: ^^^ im curious too. I didn't think of this one.

I didn't google anything below:
deafness: a term to describe the ability to not hear to some degree

disability: a blanket term, mostly on the context of legal and medical issues - created to classify condition (or conditions) that set back this person from the majority of that society who don't have that issue.
Added: also, disability isn't equal in the eyes of the beholder. It's up to the individual to classify themselves or not. I'm using this term in the sake of the government description.

whats the difference between deafness and disability?

Let me ask you - what's the point of asking this? If you're trying to wonder if I'm implying that deaf people are 'disabled' - that's not what I'm saying. I added the word disability to shorten it instead of listing all conditions. It's too wordy to write the topic as "Obsession on deafness or blindness or handicappedness or mental illness/ADD/bipolar/etc" so it's easier to write "Obsession on deafness or disability" ..does that make sense?

I can. It's Deaf people not respecting the opinions of late deafened people and trying to force them to change that opinion.

To be honest, I never read that late deafened people come here and tell Deaf people they are disabled. I only read that late deafened people come here and wish they didn't lose their hearing and talk about their life experiences(something Deaf don't like to read about), they don't blame anyone.

On the other hand, I see a lot of Deaf people who feel they are right and everyone else is wrong without giving any thought to the lives of those they are offending. It's ironic, really.

A few choice members on here really have no clue.

I can. It's Deaf people not respecting the opinions of late deafened people and trying to force them to change that opinion.

To be honest, I never read that late deafened people come here and tell Deaf people they are disabled. I only read that late deafened people come here and wish they didn't lose their hearing and talk about their life experiences (something Deaf don't like to read about), they don't blame anyone.

On the other hand, I see a lot of Deaf people who feel they are right and everyone else is wrong without giving any thought to the lives of those they are offending. It's ironic, really.

A few choice members on here really have no clue.

Please. Those deaf people would say the same thing, too.

Also-- In past years, there were AD'ers did say Deaf people are disabled people and they need to accept that they have a disability...

Please. Those deaf people would say the same thing, too.

Also-- In past years, there were AD'ers did say Deaf people are disabled people and they need to accept that they have a disability...

Well, I've been told on here that what you state has all changed. I've been told that we are all inclusive today.

What do you think?

Yeah, AD is changing over time...

Well, it's kinda hard for me to tolerant audism, paternalism or phonocentrism... but I'm sure AD welcome anybody, anyway.

Back