Obsession on deafness or disability?

Yeah, AD is changing over time...

Well, it's kinda hard for me to tolerant audism, paternalism or phonocentrism... but I'm sure AD welcome anybody, anyway.

I feel for ya. It's even harder for HoH and deaf because they get it from both sides.

Too crazy? No, too close minded? yes. I don't know how it affects their lives or relationships, I hope they don't go on and on about it in RL. I know I don't, I do talk about it, but usually only if someone asks me about it. My hearing isn't my sole thought and what makes my world go round. I don't even identify myself with it, I am not my ears. Which reminds of the thread I want to start.

Honestly I like the discussions, the debates, it's interesting to see and think about others views. I don't even mind when we go off topic a bit. There are a few, really just a few posters though that I think don't like to see others view, I don't think they actually read half the comments in the thread, they just have this one view and beat that drum in every single thread even if that's not what we're talking about. That's how single minded they are. It's kind of weird really, are they crazy? Probably not.

I didn't google anything below:
deafness: a term to describe the ability to not hear to some degree

disability: a blanket term, mostly on the context of legal and medical issues - created to classify condition (or conditions) that set back this person from the majority of that society who don't have that issue.
Added: also, disability isn't equal in the eyes of the beholder. It's up to the individual to classify themselves or not. I'm using this term in the sake of the government description.

Let me ask you - what's the point of asking this? If you're trying to wonder if I'm implying that deaf people are 'disabled' - that's not what I'm saying. I added the word disability to shorten it instead of listing all conditions. It's too wordy to write the topic as "Obsession on deafness or blindness or handicappedness or mental illness/ADD/bipolar/etc" so it's easier to write "Obsession on deafness or disability" ..does that make sense?

Oh so it appears that you believe that deaf are not a disabled group. - which holds true for Deaf people too

have i read you right?

:lol: I know enough to know that people who are deaf and the ways and periods in which the acquired their deafness spans a diverse range. That should be obvious to any that reads a thread here on AD.

i asked..> WHAT is YOUR qualifications?!!

you didnt answer the question

buh,
better yet, answer this instead...let me ask you - AND DONT GOOGLE- I want YOUR words. whats the difference between deafness and disability?

so, it's your turn to say this in YOUR words. whats the difference between deafness and disability?

The issue is that there are people who see deafness as a disability and cant understand how several of us don't see it as a disability. Guess that's the huge division....the medical model of deafness vs. the cultural model of deafness. Cant get any simpler than that.

well.... im a little more radical that this...

Oh so it appears that you believe that deaf are not a disabled group. - which holds true for Deaf people too

have i read you right?
Yes. I've never said that deaf people were disabled, nor did I think they are disabled in the physical sense that they can't achieve something. I don't generally get this impression from other people on AD, including late-deaf. Anyway, this isn't the point of my topic, it's about being obsessed about the disability condition itself - whether it's about obsession on deafness, blindness, mental illness, or whatever.

I'm using disability in the legal definition as in, the law recognizes you have different privileges/rights from an ordinary citizen. This is because I have a condition that most people don't have, so there's a law for me. This disability status allows me and others to use and apply for Schedule A jobs, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Right to an interpreter, SSI, and individual USA state benefits that 'non-disabled hearing people' don't receive. For others, like mental illness 'disability', they are protected under the hate crime act and various other laws for the different 'disabilities'.

I think it can be a disability, but it's only as disabling as you let it be.

i asked..> WHAT is YOUR qualifications?!!

you didnt answer the question

buh,
better yet, answer this instead...let me ask you - AND DONT GOOGLE- I want YOUR words. whats the difference between deafness and disability?

so, it's your turn to say this in YOUR words. whats the difference between deafness and disability?

I find the question irrelevant.... Not interested in answering it.

I have to disagree with you, it is revelant.

Why? Okay supposed a person that you meet up and he/she gives you a medical opinion. What are you going to ask them? Do they have medical degrees, where did they get knowledge from?

That applies to question about Deafness, and he wanted know what your qualification? Maybe you have taken course about Deafness? and so on. Irrelevant? I don't think so.

I find the question irrelevant.... Not interested in answering it.

I can. It's Deaf people not respecting the opinions of late deafened people and trying to force them to change that opinion.

To be honest, I never read that late deafened people come here and tell Deaf people they are disabled. I only read that late deafened people come here and wish they didn't lose their hearing and talk about their life experiences(something Deaf don't like to read about), they don't blame anyone.

On the other hand, I see a lot of Deaf people who feel they are right and everyone else is wrong without giving any thought to the lives of those they are offending. It's ironic, really.

A few choice members on here really have no clue.

it's the other way around.

In my opinion, a disability no matter what it is shouldn't define a person ... but the person should define the disability and to what extent they allow it to affect their life ... for example ... I went to school and was good friends with a guy that had tumors on his brain and severe epilepsy ... it left his right side permanently paralyzed ... did that stop him ??? NOPE !!! He still went to main streamed schools, walked under his own power with a leg brace even though he had to drag his foot ... and had to position his right arm with his left ... he even made the walk when he graduated high school ... he went on and got married to a girl we went to school with and has a daughter with her ... owns his own house ... cars ... and leading a normal life better than a lot of people who whimper and whine and play dead living off the system ... so deafness ... is only a disability if the person allows it to be ... just my 2 cents worth ...

Some of you think we the Deaf are against hearing and late deafened.

This is not the case.

We the Deaf do not like the idea of forcing *BORN* Deaf getting CI, 100% oralism, etc while those who are late deafened thinks they understood what Deaf is like and disagree upon. The problem is, those who already born hearing will never understand what it is like to be born Deaf. That is huge difference, those who born hearing already obtained tools and knowledge what it is like to be able to hear and take advantage of that when they lose hearing, in turn it is less difficult for those people getting treatment for hearing loss. Compared to those who born Deaf and never acquire the understand of sounds, and got CI at later time will be less likely benefit from that because they have NO, I mean absolutely no idea what it is like to be hearing and will have serious difficult time develop the natural sense of sound. Like I said in other thread about guy who was born blind were not able to adjust visual after getting the eye implant, on contrast to those who were born with no visual issues and lost visual at later time will gain and benefit from eye implant. Its right there and well documented, but for some reasons these medical professional just simply think the opposite when it comes to hearing loss. That is because they can't accept the concept of hearing loss and work their ass off trying to fix that.

Again, I myself am born *D*eaf and I have nothing against those who are late deafened trying to get technology assistance and I think it is great for them and don't see anything wrong with that, but I am against those who think they can fix born *D*eaf, and yes that includes those who are late deafened.

I think it can be a disability, but it's only as disabling as you let it be.

Or the employers in your area let it be!

I am in one that for years I found employers requiring everyone in the office to answer incoming voice phone calls. That no matter if you were willing to do other tasks not covered by your job description to free others to handle the phones. My personal experience with this is getting old but I am under the impressing it still exists.

That is because that employer is CLOSED minded that is all.

Or the employers in your area let it be!

I am in one that for years I found employers requiring everyone in the office to answer incoming voice phone calls. That no matter if you were willing to do other tasks not covered by your job description to free others to handle the phones. My personal experience with this is getting old but I am under the impressing it still exists.

I am against those who think they can fix born *D*eaf, and yes that includes those who are late deafened.

Then you should rephrase that to, "Anyone" including Deaf who may have that opinion instead of explicitly implying late deafened people. Right?

Please RE-READ again. No, it is not everybody because not everybody would think this way, I am target those who THINKS that CI is a solution or miracle.

What I said is very clear, maybe I should lowered my English standard especially for you...

THOSE WHO THINKS, including those who are hearing AND late deafened that those who were born Deaf needs fixing.

Isn't that clear enough for you?

Then you should rephrase that to, "Anyone" including Deaf who may have that opinion instead of explicitly implying late deafened people. Right?

Back