Obsession on deafness or disability?

Wirelessly posted

shel90 said:
Deaf people can talk on the phone...just in a different way.

That's the problem with society...not willing to accept diversity. I am not talking about skin color.

::D: good point.

In a prior post-duly noted- a DEAF person CAN speak on a regular phone. The"problem" can one "hear" on a regular phone?
Not sure exactly how a DEAF person "speaks" in a "different way"?

Wow, I sure hope other late deaf (like me) aren't blathering on about how Deaf people should raise their kids, run their lives, etc.... I hate that because it just makes a bad name for us other late deaf that DO respect Deaf culture. We know we can't be a part of it, not growing up Deaf and all, but we understand what we can and we respect it. Please don't paint us all with the same brush :)

Wow, I sure hope other late deaf (like me) aren't blathering on about how Deaf people should raise their kids, run their lives, etc.... I hate that because it just makes a bad name for us other late deaf that DO respect Deaf culture. We know we can't be a part of it, not growing up Deaf and all, but we understand what we can and we respect it. Please don't paint us all with the same brush :)

Who are you talking to?

Yes there are some that are this. I can prove my point with one username "Drphill" that is all I have to say,

If you don’t like the definition that merriam-webster has used for the last 150 years take it up with them. I will though, think about impaired. Impaired - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

: being in a less than perfect or whole condition: as
a : disabled or functionally defective —often used in combination <hearing-impaired>
b : intoxicated by alcohol or narcotics <Grummer>

Did your STUDY include tetrahydrocannabinol in the hookah? :rofl:

you are funny!!you're are silly :lol:

Oh AND another thing I forgot while reading ALL these posts.... I really like how the DSM defines "abnormal".... for psychology, you need to have the "4 D's" ---

Deviance
Distress
Dysfunction
Danger

So in simple words, if you're ok with how you are, you're not abnormal. I think that applies to disability and how most of us don't see ourselves as disabled. The crazies come out when the cultures and cultural stereotypes clash.

My prior comment is my experience as a DEAF person-since December 20, 2006. Is still- true today.

Back