Obama Fried Chicken

Obama has barely settled into the White House and people are making Obama so famous. Obama seems everywhere-- in almost every products. There is absolutely nothing--nothing racist about it. I don't think the owner is saying that Obama loves fried chicken or it's black people's favorite food, It is to only tell you what they are serving in that restaurant and there are some people who are already made assumption that the owner is racist because of his sign. I think he just want his business to successful, because Obama being so popular nowadays and thinks it's easy to sell when they named him on signs, or products.

To be honest, I don't think that the owner intended to portray a racial stereotype. I don't think the sign was meant to be connected to a racial insult. I think he just didn't realize what the implications are. All I am saying is that many people could easily see a connection, whether it was meant that way or not.

To honor Obama and it's consider racist? Okayyyyyyyy... :ugh: The word racism is so overused people have truly lost the meaning of that word. I'll have to ask my neighbors if it consider racist, since they're black also.

Look at this one, there's another one that they consider racism. Hairy uproar over drugstore Obama

More to this story by pressing the link above. ;)

I don't know if a majority of black people would consider it racist about our potlock but before that, I never gave it much thought and now since then, iam more careful about things like that cuz of cultural sensitivity. I can't say that I agree or disagree since I don't know what it is like to live life as a black person. Maybe my hubby is the odd one but since this issue about the fried chicken has others protesting, it makes me wonder.

My case was just one example so it doesn't have a heavy influence. Just was providing one experience relating to the topic.

I don't know if a majority of black people would consider it racist about our potlock but before that, I never gave it much thought and now since then, iam more careful about things like that cuz of cultural sensitivity. I can't say that I agree or disagree since I don't know what it is like to live life as a black person. Maybe my hubby is the odd one but since this issue about the fried chicken has others protesting, it makes me wonder.

My case was just one example so it doesn't have a heavy influence. Just was providing one experience relating to the topic.

Your case was a perfect example of why we can't make jusdgements like that unless we consider them from the other person's cultural perspective.

To be honest, I don't think that the owner intended to portray a racial stereotype. I don't think the sign was meant to be connected to a racial insult. I think he just didn't realize what the implications are. All I am saying is that many people could easily see a connection, whether it was meant that way or not.

Right and I do understand. I really do think that people are too sensitive these days. Sorry no offended. :)

Oh that's fine by me which I have no problem with. I was just lost with words how it considered to be racist, It's so flattering that people are celebrating under Obama. It just shows that people are standing behind him all the way. :)

That's right. That's what I have been trying to get at. I am not saying that the owner of that place is racist, but that what he doesn't realize is that he is playing into a racial stereotype and he doesn't see a racial connotation with the sign name. He doesn't realize that the sign is offensive and racist.

Sometimes some people who don't think they are racist will sometimes say or do something that IS racist, and they don't realize what they have said or done until someone points it out to them.

Oktoberfest is a celebration originated by Germans for Germans to celebrate foods and traditions of the Germans. Bratwurst and Sauerkraut are both traditional German foods. That is a fact, not a stereotype.

Now, if they put up a sign saying "Hitler's Bratwurst and Sauerkraut" I imagine you would see some pretty quick protesting of the implications of such a sign.

Now that is comparing a hateful person, to Obama....

Like I have posted previously.. The guy probably worships, Obama. perhaps in a freaky way. Any other person would choose an "original name"

I just don't see this guy doing this out of racism!!! He truly seems to like Obama.

Everything that is put out now a days will offend some one...

Just like
Lucias new signature..... on the "ILVTOFU" signature, that was taken from another thread......The same very tag that offended some..... so I find that hypercritical IMO For some one to gripe about being offended!!! by a "sign"

Now that is comparing a hateful person, to Obama....

Like I have posted previously.. The guy probably worships, Obama. perhaps in a freaky way. Any other person would choose an "original name"

I just don't see this guy doing this out of racism!!! He truly seems to like Obama.

Everything that is put out now a days will offend some one...

Just like
Lucias new signature..... on the "ILVTOFU" signature, that was taken from another thread......The same very tag that offended some..... so I find that hypercritical IMO For some one to gripe about being offended!!! by a "sign"

I see what you are saying. But I was just trying to point out that Hitler has a negative connotation, so people would protest his name being attached. And the stereotype of chicken eatin' black folk has a negative connotation, so attaching the name of a black man to a chicken restaurant that he is not connected to could be equally offensive to some.

And I agree. As I said before, I don't think his intent was to be offensive. I don't think he even realized the connection.

I see what you are saying. But I was just trying to point out that Hitler has a negative connotation, so people would protest his name being attached. And the stereotype of chicken eatin' black folk has a negative connotation, so attaching the name of a black man to a chicken restaurant that he is not connected to could be equally offensive to some.

And I agree. As I said before, I don't think his intent was to be offensive. I don't think he even realized the connection.

I love Fried chicken....

as for hubby?? no.. he doesn't

That's right. That's what I have been trying to get at. I am not saying that the owner of that place is racist, but that what he doesn't realize is that he is playing into a racial stereotype and he doesn't see a racial connotation with the sign name. He doesn't realize that the sign is offensive and racist.

Sometimes some people who don't think they are racist will sometimes say or do something that IS racist, and they don't realize what they have said or done until someone points it out to them.

I remember reading about one Chinese guy who moved to the USA. He opened up a store in a mostly black neighborhood. He likely knew a bit about the USA's racist past but didn't know what terms were offensive beyound the n word. So when a boy came in, he tried to get his attention by yelling "Hey boy!" Everyone got upset much to his bewilderment but luckliy some of his customers explained the racial connoctions behind the word boy. He said he learned a boy is a boy in ESL so it never occrued to him it could be offensive.

I like the fried chicken I make in my mama's iron skillet!:giggle: And some greens with ham hock to go with it!:P And some biscuits and gravy!

Oh!!! Hellll Yeah!!

That is what I am talkin' 'bout! Good ol' fashioned cooken' Just the way I like it!!

MMMMM, mmmm. gal!! You know it!!!

And yet you can't understand the connotation of a black person and fried chicken?

Gee---you must have passed a Krispy Kreme on the way to work.

Now that is a negative connotation towards police officers stating that they are too busy eating donuts and such which we know isn't true. Same thing with blacks and friend chicken.

:lol: Well someone has to keep the myth alive! Sheesh! :P
Did I still have custard on the corner of my mouth or sumthin' :laugh2:

Seriously, Yes, I well understand the OLD stereotypes .All my friends/family and I - regardless of race/creed/color/political affiliation - refuse to give the Al Sharptons, Panthers, KKKs of the world credibility by falling into what they promote.

I too love fried chicken, mustard and collard greens, watermelon and every other OLD stereotypical black food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASLGAL
The Obamas seem to pick and choose what they are offended by.

The Obamas have that right, do they not? What makes them any different than you or I? Just because they are the President and First Lady doesn't mean they aren't entitled to feel the way they do.
Certainly they can feel and do whatever they wish. Observation that they seem to pisck and choose what they are offended by is just that, an observation.
Personally, I'd buy my granddaughter one of those cute baby dolls before I'd buy the lego set. Preference I guess.

I really do think that people are too sensitive these days.
I agree Cheri.
People are hypersensitive these days.

I like the fried chicken I make in my mama's iron skillet! And some greens with ham hock to go with it! And some biscuits and gravy!
Ohhh Yummmm, can't tell we are from the same area of the hundred acre wood :) huh.

I believe that bottom line --

Obama's Chicken is not racist, was not intended to be racist, and since I do not know if it is good or not I can't even say it's in bad taste -- :hmm:

Oh that's fine by me which I have no problem with. I was just lost with words how it considered to be racist, It's so flattering that people are celebrating under Obama. It just shows that people are standing behind him all the way. :)

I was shocked too and after that I thought long and hard about it and realized that I could be responsible for contributing to the stereotyping. Maybe Obama would take offense that he is being honored by a stereotpying kind of food? Never know.

I believe that bottom line --

Obama's Chicken is not racist, was not intended to be racist, and since I do not know if it is good or not I can't even say it's in bad taste -- :hmm:

Well....we can send Jiro to the restaurant since he is the closes and he can report back to us how the food tastes? :lol:

Yea, like in my case ...It wasnt intentional to be racist with the potluck but we were all probably guilty of playing into a racial stereotype.

Back