Obama Fried Chicken

There is nothing there to protest Lucia, except for those who wish to keep race troubles brewed up, like Sharpton.
That's right, there's nothing to protest, I think Al Sharpton blowing things out of proportion by taking words out of context, then expound on it.

I do not believe I missed the point at all.
The Obamas seem to pick and choose what they are offended by.
They seem to want to keep a certain sympathy toward them to keep people from really looking at who they are.
My opinion only.

There is nothing there to protest Lucia, except for those who wish to keep race troubles brewed up, like Sharpton.

The stereotyping of the D/deaf has nothing to do with this and I see no similarities between them. I am convinced that Sharpton would not be concerned if it were not something he could stir the racial fires with.
Yes. You do need to fight for your rights to ASL interpreters and any other accomodation that the ADA calls for. Again, that has no similarity to naming a chicken place or the hubbub that has come up with that.

You seem to be having a conversation with yourself and also having my conversation so you can attack and put words in my mouth. If you have questions I am happy to answer them but if you are going to ask and them assume and give an answer for me then you probably do not want to know what I think anyway.

I am hearing, a police officer, ready for retirement and going into a retirement career opposite of what I do now - with concentration in manual communication. My husband - AD member ran256 is HOH/HA's and is in ITP for his retirement career as Interpreter.
Something is going on with my own hearing but - usually - thanks to the support in here and the fact that I have ASL if I lose it or more of it I will be fine.
I have 2 children and 6 grandchildren + one on the way. I advocate for D/deaf and DeafBlind everyday.
That is me.

And yet you can't understand the connotation of a black person and fried chicken? :roll:

Gee---you must have passed a Krispy Kreme on the way to work. :roll:

Now that is a negative connotation towards police officers stating that they are too busy eating donuts and such which we know isn't true. Same thing with blacks and friend chicken.

Now that is a negative connotation towards police officers stating that they are too busy eating donuts and such which we know isn't true. Same thing with blacks and friend chicken.

friend chicken??? :lol:

It didn't say "African Americans fried chicken", It says "Obama fried chicken" If Obama finds it offensive, he absolutely has that right. From what I learned that people had said they love their sign, the problem came up when the small group of black activists and Rev. Al came around telling the manager to remove the sign. The small group of black activists, including the Rev. Al Sharpton have no say to this matter only Obama.

Yes, that´s right...

but it still doesn´t racism to me IF they write "African Americans fried chicken"... Look the example about "Chinese food" or "Chinese resturant" or "Mexcio foods" or "Mexcio resturant".. , Is it racism or what?

It doesn´t offend Germans if the people said "Bratwurst and Sauerkraut" is sterotype foods, Germans eat... So what? If they said that fried chicken is sterotype food, black people eat... I would say the same... So what? I would consider the people as an ignorant for pick on sterotypes foods.

And yet you can't understand the connotation of a black person and fried chicken? :roll:

Seen many different comedy shows playing all sorts of jokes. All by different race, cultures, sexual orientation, about all sorts of things. When it is done by a comedians. It is funny to people! ( to most, may not be all)

You get the Cop jokes, Jokes about people of different cultures and race, Jokes about the homeless, Jokes about the politicians, jokes about mental illnesses. Jokes about hill billies and Rednecks, Gay jokes, you name it! there is a joke about it. Stereotyping and all. But it is O.K.??? To some! Do you see anyone protesting? As much as they are about a Food Stand Sign??

Byride.. You are also guilty of it. But it is O.K. for you to joke about certain things, or make certain statements. I find it highly contradicting. Especially since you have been participating in Certain threads, stereotyping others.

But when a person puts a sign up. That may offend you and others. It is no longer funny. It is cute, when you speak of others, and stereotype others???

Can't have it both ways.

Everything is sooooo Politically corrected now. It is outrageous!

The Obamas seem to pick and choose what they are offended by.

The Obamas have that right, do they not? What makes them any different than you or I? Just because they are the President and First Lady doesn't mean they aren't entitled to feel the way they do.

Yes, that´s right...

but it still doesn´t racism to me IF they write "African Americans fried chicken"... Look the example about "Chinese food" or "Chinese resturant" or "Mexcio foods" or "Mexcio resturant".. , Is it racism or what?

It doesn´t offend Germans if the people said "Bratwurst and Sauerkraut" is sterotype foods, Germans eat... So what? If they said that fried chicken is sterotype food, black people eat... I would say the same... So what? I would consider the people as an ignorant for pick on sterotypes foods.

And you decide that Resident Evil 5 is racism because all black are zomibe? What about Resident Evil 4, that all monster are Spanish? :lol: I know I was off subject but about racism thing. blah blah.

friend chicken??? :lol:

Opps! :lol: Good eye Cheri! :lol:

Seen many different comedy shows playing all sorts of jokes. All by different race, cultures, sexual orientation, about all sorts of things. When it is done by a comedians. It is funny to people! ( to most, may not be all)

You get the Cop jokes, Jokes about people of different cultures and race, Jokes about the homeless, Jokes about the politicians, jokes about mental illnesses. Jokes about hill billies and Rednecks, Gay jokes, you name it! there is a joke about it. Stereotyping and all. But it is O.K.??? To some! Do you see anyone protesting? As much as they are about a Food Stand Sign??

Byride.. You are also guilty of it. But it is O.K. for you to joke about certain things, or make certain statements. I find it highly contradicting. Especially since you have been participating in Certain threads, stereotyping others.

But when a person puts a sign up. That may offend you and others. It is no longer funny. It is cute, when you speak of others, and stereotype others???

Can't have it both ways.

Everything is sooooo Politically corrected now. It is outrageous!

We're all guilty of it. I'm not ashamed of it.

The difference is that this isn't showing respect for the Oval office. :)

Yea you got a point there, I have been going to Oktoberfest for years and I've seen banners where it says "Traditional German Bratwurst and Sauerkraut" I'm sure Germans don't find it insulting. If they found it insulting we wouldn't have Oktoberfest anymore, but we still have them. :)

Now that is a negative connotation towards police officers stating that they are too busy eating donuts and such which we know isn't true. Same thing with blacks and fried chicken.

:gpost: That's exactly the point. Thank you, Byrdie!

Ok..I will tell u a little story..may have some relevance or may not.

Before the inauguration, my coworkers came up with the idea for a potluck for that day. Everyone agreed and someone said the potluck should be fried chicken, green beans, and other soul food dishes. Everyone thought that was a great idea. The night before Inauguration Day, I was making my dish and my hubby asked me what it was for and I told him and how we came up with the theme to honor Obama. My husband said it was racist and I was shocked.

Now, as I read this story, it does make me wonder if black people in general find it offensive and if they do, then that's their right. I am not a black person so I cant dictate on how they should feel or what they can or cant protest on.

To honor Obama and it's consider racist? Okayyyyyyyy... :ugh: The word racism is so overused people have truly lost the meaning of that word. I'll have to ask my neighbors if it consider racist, since they're black also.

Look at this one, there's another one that they consider racism. Hairy uproar over drugstore Obama

The grassy-headed figurine of President Obama was pulled from Walgreens shelves in Chicago and Tampa after some people called it racist and company brass decided the new collectible was wrong for their image

More to this story by pressing the link above. ;)

Yea you got a point there, I have been going to Oktoberfest for years and I've seen banners where it says "Traditional German Bratwurst and Sauerkraut" I'm sure Germans don't find it insulting. If they found it insulting we wouldn't have Oktoberfest anymore, but we still have them. :)

Oktoberfest is a celebration originated by Germans for Germans to celebrate foods and traditions of the Germans. Bratwurst and Sauerkraut are both traditional German foods. That is a fact, not a stereotype.

Now, if they put up a sign saying "Hitler's Bratwurst and Sauerkraut" I imagine you would see some pretty quick protesting of the implications of such a sign.

Oktoberfest is a celebration originated by Germans for Germans to celebrate foods and traditions of the Germans. Bratwurst and Sauerkraut are both traditional German foods. That is a fact, not a stereotype.

Now, if they put up a sign saying "Hitler's Bratwurst and Sauerkraut" I imagine you would see some pretty quick protesting of the implications of such a sign.

It is to be understood that Hitler is a bad guy that nobody likes, so of course people are going to protested. Who doesn't like fried chicken? How is that the same?

It is to be understood that Hitler is a bad guy that nobody likes, so of course people are going to protested. Who doesn't like fried chicken? How is that the same?

I just explained it to you. If the guy had a sign saying, Everybody's Fried Chicken, there would be no issue. But when you single out an individual in a way that reinforces racial stereotypes, you end up with problems. And by you, I mean the collective you, not you specifically.

I just explained it to you. If the guy had a sign saying, Everybody's Fried Chicken, there would be no issue. But when you single out an individual in a way that reinforces racial stereotypes, you end up with problems. And by you, I mean the collective you, not you specifically.

Obama has barely settled into the White House and people are making Obama so famous. Obama seems everywhere-- in almost every products. There is absolutely nothing--nothing racist about it. I don't think the owner is saying that Obama loves fried chicken or it's black people's favorite food, It is to only tell you what they are serving in that restaurant and there are some people who are already made assumption that the owner is racist because of his sign. I think he just want his business to successful, because Obama being so popular nowadays and thinks it's easy to sell when they named him on signs, or products.

Back