Obama Fried Chicken

Since there are two parts to this. One is using Obama products, the other is racial stereotyping.

I'll up this to something on the other side, about "Obama Products", leaving racial stereotypes out of the trend.

Long before Obama dolls, Obama lego, Obama this and that, this food trend had started and no one was mad or upset about it.

There's a City in Japan called Obama. For those who are related to japanese culture, you'll probably be aware of the event that Obama once visited the city and they were in good relations, everyone was happy.
The city even made a statue of him I think.
About the city: Obama, Fukui - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In response to the election, they made a ton of things for his campaign and visit for their people.

ac6hxt.jpg

This is a picture of Obama products: Obama Manjus (little sweet pastry buns), Obama cookies, Obama "Hamburger" (the package states fish content).

2mdqvzc.jpg

On the back of the packet is a note written by Obama as an appreciation of thanks to the city. Signed, "Your Friend, Barack Obama February 21, 2008"

w83qm8.jpg

Closeup of the Obama rice cookie.

2meu6pk.jpg

Closeup of Obama "Fish"hamburger title. You should be able to catch the gist of what it says. If not, it says exactly what is written, except top left side denotes company MARUKAI, fish meat hamburger.

I don't see Al Sharpton protesting or anyone protesting while Japanese are still chumming these down nonchalantly..
So, what's the deal?

Last one to rub it in patent protesters:
dfc46o.jpg

IN YO FACE, SHARPTON!

Since there are two parts to this. One is using Obama products, the other is racial stereotyping.

I'll up this to something on the other side, about "Obama Products", leaving racial stereotypes out of the trend.

Long before Obama dolls, Obama lego, Obama this and that, this food trend had started and no one was mad or upset about it.

There's a City in Japan called Obama. For those who are related to japanese culture, you'll probably be aware of the event that Obama once visited the city and they were in good relations, everyone was happy.

In response to the election, they made a ton of things for his campaign and visit for their people.

ac6hxt.jpg

This is a picture of Obama products: Obama Manjus (little sweet pastry buns), Obama cookies, Obama "Hamburger" (the package states fish content).

2mdqvzc.jpg

On the back of the packet is a note written by Obama as an appreciation of thanks to the city. Signed, "Your Friend, Barack Obama February 21, 2008"

w83qm8.jpg

Closeup of the Obama rice cookie.

2meu6pk.jpg

Closeup of Obama "Fish"hamburger title. You should be able to catch the gist of what it says. If not, it says exactly what is written, except top left side denotes company MARUKAI, fish meat hamburger.

I don't see Al Sharpton protesting or anyone protesting while Japanese are still chumming these down nonchalantly..
So, what's the deal?

Last one to rub it in patent protesters:
dfc46o.jpg

IN YO FACE, SHARPTON!

Quite simple. These items do not play into a well known racial stereotype.

Guess it shows that New York City isn't a tolerant city.......

just letting you know that NYC and Brooklyn are..... kind of "separate". There are 5 boroughs - Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, and Staten Island. NYC is commonly known as Manhattan. Whatever happens in the certain borough is by no mean a representation of NYC unless if it's in Manhattan.

just letting you know that NYC and Brooklyn are..... kind of "separate". There are 5 boroughs - Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, and Staten Island. NYC is commonly known as Manhattan. Whatever happens in the certain borough is by no mean a representation of NYC unless if it's in Manhattan.

Splitting hairs again?

Then it should be legal. But that owners name is Jabbar.

Mr. Jabbar isn't the owner. Read the first post again:
Under pressure last week, Mr. Jabbar, who said he is not the owner, said the name would be changed to Popular Fried Chicken over the weekend. But on Monday, the sign was still there — a fact noted by the free newspaper amNY, under the print headline “What the Cluck?”

The man can call his restaurant anything he wants.
If he wants to leave it at Obama Fried Chicken then so be it.

then I guess all those Obama products being sold should be removed as well or is the problem that Obama hasn't figured out how to take a cut of the owners money yet? Since Obama is not a name with a copywrite then Obama cannot insist he remove the name.

The Obamas need to make up their minds. They got all mad because the doll company wanted to make dolls of their daughters but then turned around and gushed over the Lego Company making legos of them and the inauguration.

You missed the point. The sign name suggests an offensive stereotype of black people - that ALL black people eat fried chicken and other fried foods only. Not all black people eat fried foods only, many do not, but they still have been labeled with this stereotype. It also may suggest that the Obama family eat fried foods just because they are black, which is also offensive. Even though the owner is fond of the president, it still is offensive due to the history of such stereotypes. If you read up on the history of stereotypes and racism you would learn about why the Obama sign on the restaurant is offensive and you would also see why the Obamas were not happy with the doll company wanting to make dolls of the Obama daughters.

As long as people allow perceived stereotypes to run their lives these types of stories will give the race baiters and race haters something to work with.

Perfect example of one who needs to keep a perceived race problem going to pad his own pockets.

So they shouldn't protest?

This is really pathetic.

Would you say the same if you saw something that suggests a stereotype of Deaf people? Would you say that we are letting them run our lives and giving other people something to work with because we protest to fight for equality and against audism and to fight against stereotypes (such as "deaf and dumb") that we have been labeled with and such other things? I have a thread going where people tell me I need to fight for my rights to an ASL interpreter, and I agree with them, they're right. Would you tell us that I shouldn't fight for my rights to an ASL interpreter because to you it means I am letting the others run my life and giving the others something to work with? That I should just shut up and do nothing? If you really think this way, this is really sad and really pathetic. Especially since I see that you have "ASLGAL" as your AllDeaf username. Are you even deaf at all? Or are you an ASL interpreter? (I don't know you that well and haven't read very many of your posts yet).

So, what's the deal?

Clearly you did not read the Wiki carefully. I read the Wiki. Here is the part you should have paid attention to:
History

Obama means "little beach" in Japanese.[1] In the Ritsuryō period, Obama was the capital of Wakasa Province, one of entrance of continental culture. Many temples related to the Yamato Dynasty are located in Obama, and the city is called "Nara by the sea".

In the Edo period, Obama was the capital of the Obama Domain and was the starting point of the Mackerel Road to Kyoto.

The area was municipalized as a city in March 30, 1951 although the area has been inhabited for centuries. Otojirō Uratani is currently the mayor of Obama.

The point is:

In Japan, Obama is a Japanese word meaning little beach, and the town has been named that. And look at the date the area became a city: March 30, 1951. That's over 60 years ago, before our president was even born. Thus, this city had NOTHING to do with President Obama in the first place, so it is not offensive in this case and that is why our president had no issues with that city.

But the restaurant name (especially with the words "fried chicken" after the name) and the doll company wanting to make dolls of the Obama daughters? These things do suggest a racial stereotype.

Clearly you did not read the Wiki carefully. I read the Wiki. Here is the part you should have paid attention to:

Yeah thank you, I very clearly understand the racial concept - it opens my eyes.
But that is not the point my post was about.

What I was questioning is the product patent part. Obama did not give Obama-JAPAN permission to make Barack Obama products.
They made it without his knowledge, sent him some finished samples, he wrote a thank you back, then they started mass producing it most likely without his consent for JAPAN.

You see the cookie of Obama? Clearly that shows intent of the use of the president for "marketing" (and appreciation too perhaps) in some form.

That's the reference I'm trying to distinguish of the protesting.
Protestors: "Use of the president's name without his consent is bad!"
NOT
Protestors: "You make Obama look like he loves fried chikun."

Yeah thank you, I very clearly understand the racial concept - it opens my eyes.
But that is not the point my post was about.

What I was questioning is the product patent part. Obama did not give Obama-JAPAN permission to make Barack Obama products.
They made it without his knowledge, sent him some finished samples, he wrote a thank you back, then they started mass producing it most likely without his consent for JAPAN.

You see the cookie of Obama? Clearly that shows intent of the use of the president for "marketing" (and appreciation too perhaps) in some form.

That's the reference I'm trying to distinguish of the protesting.
Protestors: "Use of the president's name without his consent is bad!"
NOT
Protestors: "You make Obama look like he loves fried chikun."

Like Jillio said, the items in Japan does not play into a well-known racial stereotype.

To be honest I don't understand the fried chicken racism thing, I love fried chicken, who doesn't? There is absolutely nothing racist in saying or admitting that you love fried chicken. Maybe the owner likes the President and put his name on his restaurant, so what's so wrong with that? I don't see a problem with that. :dunno:

To be honest I don't understand the fried chicken racism thing, I love fried chicken, who doesn't? There is absolutely nothing racist in saying or admitting that you love fried chicken. Maybe the owner likes the President and put his name on his restaurant, so what's so wrong with that? I don't see a problem with that. :dunno:

Ok, let me explain.

People often think that ALL black people eat fried chicken (and watermelons). That's where the racial stereotype associated with fried chicken and watermelons come from.

No, anyone can eat fried chicken and watermelon, that won't mean you are racist. It's totally fine. There's absolutely no issue in eating fried chicken or watermelons. It's just what's wrong is saying "oh, all black people love to eat fried chicken and watermelons all the time" and making posters and pictures and comics depicting black people (especially with exaggerated features) eating fried chickens and watermelons, because that stereotypes all black people and gives the belief that all black people do actually eat fried chicken and are happy slaves who eat watermelons all the time, which is not true...they eat pretty much the same as the rest of us, there is not really much of a difference, and slavery is HORRIBLE. Google it and you will learn a lot about the racial history of racism against black people.

Edit: I meant to say "who eat watermelons" but I missed "eat". I wanted to edit it so it would make sense.

Last edited:
Ok, let me explain.

People often think that ALL black people eat fried chicken (and watermelons). That's where the racial stereotype associated with fried chicken and watermelons come from.

No, anyone can eat fried chicken and watermelon, that won't mean you are racist. It's totally fine. There's absolutely no issue in eating fried chicken or watermelons. It's just what's wrong is saying "oh, all black people love to eat fried chicken and watermelons all the time" and making posters and pictures and comics depicting black people (especially with exaggerated features) eating fried chickens and watermelons, because that stereotypes all black people and gives the belief that all black people do actually eat fried chicken and are happy slaves who watermelons all the time, which is not true...they eat pretty much the same as the rest of us, there is not really much of a difference, and slavery is HORRIBLE. Google it and you will learn a lot about the racial history of racism against black people.

It didn't say "African Americans fried chicken", It says "Obama fried chicken" If Obama finds it offensive, he absolutely has that right. From what I learned that people had said they love their sign, the problem came up when the small group of black activists and Rev. Al came around telling the manager to remove the sign. The small group of black activists, including the Rev. Al Sharpton have no say to this matter only Obama.

I looked at picture. This "Obama Fried Chicken" made me think..... "Soul Food".
One time, I saw my old co-worker's lunch. He said, "Every Friday, he bought Soul Food for his lunch". I seem that kind is not health food. It must be like heavy grease on fried chicken. Last Dec 30, 2008, we were shock to hear that our co-worker dead during sleep (heart attack with high blood pressure). We lost excellent worker. He worked for our company since 1984 or 85.

I do not believe I missed the point at all.
The Obamas seem to pick and choose what they are offended by.
They seem to want to keep a certain sympathy toward them to keep people from really looking at who they are.
My opinion only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASLGAL
As long as people allow perceived stereotypes to run their lives these types of stories will give the race baiters and race haters something to work with.

Perfect example of one who needs to keep a perceived race problem going to pad his own pockets.

Lucia said:
So they shouldn't protest?

This is really pathetic.
There is nothing there to protest Lucia, except for those who wish to keep race troubles brewed up, like Sharpton.

Would you say the same if you saw something that suggests a stereotype of Deaf people? Would you say that we are letting them run our lives and giving other people something to work with because we protest to fight for equality and against audism and to fight against stereotypes (such as "deaf and dumb") that we have been labeled with and such other things? I have a thread going where people tell me I need to fight for my rights to an ASL interpreter, and I agree with them, they're right. Would you tell us that I shouldn't fight for my rights to an ASL interpreter because to you it means I am letting the others run my life and giving the others something to work with? That I should just shut up and do nothing? If you really think this way, this is really sad and really pathetic. Especially since I see that you have "ASLGAL" as your AllDeaf username. Are you even deaf at all? Or are you an ASL interpreter? (I don't know you that well and haven't read very many of your posts yet).

The stereotyping of the D/deaf has nothing to do with this and I see no similarities between them. I am convinced that Sharpton would not be concerned if it were not something he could stir the racial fires with.
Yes. You do need to fight for your rights to ASL interpreters and any other accomodation that the ADA calls for. Again, that has no similarity to naming a chicken place or the hubbub that has come up with that.

You seem to be having a conversation with yourself and also having my conversation so you can attack and put words in my mouth. If you have questions I am happy to answer them but if you are going to ask and them assume and give an answer for me then you probably do not want to know what I think anyway.

I am hearing, a police officer, ready for retirement and going into a retirement career opposite of what I do now - with concentration in manual communication. My husband - AD member ran256 is HOH/HA's and is in ITP for his retirement career as Interpreter.
Something is going on with my own hearing but - usually - thanks to the support in here and the fact that I have ASL if I lose it or more of it I will be fine.
I have 2 children and 6 grandchildren + one on the way. I advocate for D/deaf and DeafBlind everyday.
That is me.

Back