Obama ASL

My perspective is it must have been a slow news day, because Obama signing "thank you" isn't a news story.

I saw this video by the deaf student a week ago and the reason it went like wildfire beyond deaf circles is because Obama tweeted about it.....

My perspective is it must have been a slow news day, because Obama signing "thank you" isn't a news story.

does it matter if it's a small news or big? any bit is still cool anyway. or maybe it's just something that only deafies can understand :dunno2:

Not going to make me vote for him. I never voted him and will NOT vote for him. End of story.

I have the feeling that 20 years later, he will realize that this is just meaningless.

I will vote one who don't believe in big government, big brother, and MIND their own business about American's lives. I would easily vote one who believes in preservance of freedom. Right now the freedom is GONE

my oh my... why am I not surprised to see snarky/cheeky comments in here? not a single "that's nice"? :hmm:

Not so. Reba in comment 8 said:
I think it's nice that the President signed THANK-YOU but it's hardly a "wow!" moment.

I think it's nice. But if a single signed word is that impressive, well, then I am AMAZING, because I sign way more than that.:laugh2:

So just to be clear, it is very amazing and a huge WOW if a hearing person can sign a single word?

The video of Michelle was cool. Was that SEE and fingerspelling?

Not so. Reba in comment 8 said:
wasn't referring to Reba.

I think it's nice. But if a single signed word is that impressive, well, then I am AMAZING, because I sign way more than that.:laugh2:

So just to be clear, it is very amazing and a huge WOW if a hearing person can sign a single word?
this is not just a "hearing person". He's President of the United States.

The video of Michelle was cool. Was that SEE and fingerspelling?
combo of fingerspelling + ASL in English structure.

I demand to see Bush sign "Thank you" so I can compare.

That's fair. Then we can also compare Obama and Bush talking in Spanish.

One of them actually does know a second language well enough to have a conversation in it (albeit a basic conversation). It's not Obama.

One of them actually does know a second language well enough to have a conversation in it (albeit a basic conversation). It's not Obama.

List of multilingual Presidents of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
George W. Bush speaks some amount of Spanish, and has delivered speeches in the language.[49] His speeches in Spanish are imperfect, with English dispersed throughout.[50] Some opponents, like Molly Ivins, have pointedly questioned the extent to which Bush could speak the language, noting that he kept to similar phrasing in numerous appearances and displayed a "Spanish II" level of mastery in a Spanish-language press conference.[51]

Barack Obama himself claims to speak no foreign languages.[52] Others however, including President of Indonesia Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, claim he speaks Indonesian at a conversational level.[53] He picked up the language while he lived in Jakarta from age six to ten with his mother and stepfather, an Indonesian native. Yudhoyono noted that, in a phone call to him, Obama seemed fairly fluent in the language.[53] There is doubt, however, that his level of expertise in the language would be adequate to conduct foreign relations entirely in Indonesian.[53] He can deliver Spanish with a decent accent, but admits to only knowing "15 words" and having a poor knowledge of the language.[54]

you must have found a verifiable source claiming that Bush is fluent in spanish unless.... you weren't referring to Bush either.

I don't find it news worthy or cool. Nothing more than a politician pandering for votes from the gullible. :aw:

Well, it is my first time to see BOTH obama and the lady to sign when they know lots of deafies live in DC. Over the years I have never witnessed any past presidents and the ladies sign at all. Obama and the lady are the first time and nice of them to try a little bit. No matter what if they do not familiar with the deaf culture but they did sign one word or two. That is a way to start for now.

I don't find it news worthy or cool. Nothing more than a politician pandering for votes from the gullible. :aw:

Agreed. Anyone, deaf or hearing, that votes for Obama just because he can sign "a couple of words" is gullible.

That's because the one that knows Spanish was welcoming illegals as they crossed the Mexican border.

BTW, my comment was a joke. I can see you are open minded and non-defensive towards the Conservative side. Keep promoting your brand of politician. I will trust your judgment.:roll:

Well, it is my first time to see BOTH obama and the lady to sign when they know lots of deafies live in DC. Over the years I have never witnessed any past presidents and the ladies sign at all. Obama and the lady are the first time and nice of them to try a little bit. No matter what if they do not familiar with the deaf culture but they did sign one word or two. That is a way to start for now.

See, that's exactly what they are going for....

I'll vote Obama if he do the sign language, more than a sentence. No matter if he destroy America. Serious....

Back