NRA offensive exposes deep U.S. divisions on guns

Someday who knows that you will pay more after taxes to cover armed guards?
never gonna happen for sure because sooner or later - America will wake up and realize their rash judgment.

For example, cigarette smokers pay more because of cigarette high taxes that go to sick children who don't have health insurance coverage.
now... we all pay taxes for health insurance coverage for everybody.

So, you expect Americans to stick with muskets and pikes while the enemy uses the latest and greatest weaponry? That's not logical.

wonder if the cannon at this small memorial site near my home will work...

Any gun can kill but at the same time, no guns go on rampages by themselves.

The guns that are used by the military (automatic rifles) are not lawfully available to the general public.
What about semi-automatic weapons aka assault weapons or military-style weapons? They are very dangerous as well.

Did you read the link I posted in #12? Most of the reasons are stupid, really stupid and so uncool.

What do assault weapons have to do with protection for citizens?
It's an assault weapon when the shooter is offensively attacking.

It's a protection weapon when the shooter is defensively resisting the attacker.

In other words, it's not the gun itself but how it's being used.

"Assault" weapon is commonly (and incorrectly) used to describe rifles that have the capability of being used for rapid automatic firing. People are trying to attach motives to pieces of weaponry.

It's an assault weapon when the shooter is offensively attacking.

It's a protection weapon when the shooter is defensively resisting the attacker.

In other words, it's not the gun itself but how it's being used.

"Assault" weapon is commonly (and incorrectly) used to describe rifles that have the capability of being used for rapid automatic firing. People are trying to attach motives to pieces of weaponry.

excellent post. never thought of that.

wonder if the cannon at this small memorial site near my home will work...
My second cousin in CT has a small antique working cannon that he fires to kick off our family reunions. :lol:

One of my ancestors died fighting at Fort Griswold (CT), as a patriot against the British. It was called a massacre because the British were well armed, and the Americans had mostly pikes to fight with. When the American officer offered his sword in surrender to the British officer, the British officer took it and ran it through the American officer's body. (Totally not in accordance with the rules of engagement at that time.)

That's one of the reasons people in CT are supporters of the 2nd Amendment. They don't forget their history.

What about semi-automatic weapons aka assault weapons or military-style weapons? They are very dangerous as well.

Did you read the link I posted in #12? Most of the reasons are stupid, really stupid and so uncool.

so are my shotgun and handgun. it's helluva dangerous as hell.

my 870 and a Brenneke slug will turn your body into a messy roadkill and plus somebody behind you. my handgun and a HP round can bleed you dry like a stuck pig and you won't even have a fighting chance on the way to hospital.

why do I have these stuff that dangerous as hell? because criminals are dangerous as hell too so it's either me or them and I'm making sure it's me me me :D

My second cousin in CT has a small antique working cannon that he fires to kick off our family reunions. :lol:
no way... Civil War cannon?

One of my ancestors died fighting at Fort Griswold (CT), as a patriot against the British. It was called a massacre because the British were well armed, and the Americans had mostly pikes to fight with. When the American officer offered his sword in surrender to the British officer, the British officer took it and ran it through the American officer's body. (Totally not in accordance with the rules of engagement at that time.)

That's one of the reasons people in CT are supporters of the 2nd Amendment. They don't forget their history.
:eek3:

reminds me of that merciless British general from Patriot movie (Mel Gibson) who disregarded proper military code of conduct and ROE.

What about semi-automatic weapons? Any gun used incorrectly can be dangerous.

Just because you call something "assault" doesn't make it any more dangerous. It's a propaganda technique to demonize an inanimate object.

Not yet. It didn't look interesting.

no way... Civil War cannon?
I'm not certain of the exact age. It was mighty loud for such a small cannon. The last time he fired it was the day before he moved, just to irritate his complaining neighbors. :lol:

:eek3:

reminds me of that merciless British general from Patriot movie (Mel Gibson) who disregarded proper military code of conduct and ROE.
Similar. It happened lots of times during the Revolution.

BTW, The Patriot was filmed in part in my SC area, and was loosely based on Francis Marion, the Swamp Fox from here. In fact, the free outdoor range where we practice is in the Francis Marion Forest.

"I don't want to"??? no..... it's a typical classic cheapshot tactic . . . . it's nearly 14 years ago and a lot have changed since then. . . .

:ty:

all still points to being statistically rare for mass shooting with assault rifle involved.

. . . there was no assault rifle used in Aurora Shooting... only shotgun and handguns. To the best of my memory - the only times that assault rifles were used in mass shooting were Sandy Hook Shooting and DC Sniper Shooting for the past 10 years.

If you know any other shooting that involved assault rifle, please be more specific about it.

So, you now have 5 counting Aurora and not counting Columbine. It seems to me that there are other ways of making cheapshots . . . dang, there is another shooter term again! Better leave this to --

. . . gun owners who know the gun laws very well like back of their hands because you are kinda misinterpreting this one.

We really need all the protection we can get. They're out there folks. If it isn't the Canadians, it will be the US military invading our homes and the only chance we've got is a .223 in the hands of a gun-lover.

I am curious about a gun permit or license. Do you have to renew it yearly or so and pay for it?
Depends on the state.

In SC, there is a renewal fee every few years for the concealed carry permit.

Hunting licenses have to be paid for each season that one goes hunting.

There is no license or fee for just buying a gun. The dealer contacts SLED and they do a background check, no cost to the customer.

So, you now have 5 counting Aurora and not counting Columbine. It seems to me that there are other ways of making cheapshots . . . dang, there is another shooter term again! Better leave this to --
5 then. that pretty much shows you how statistically insignificant it is to act on it. does it absolutely warrant infringing upon the Constitution and a colossal amount of tax money?

We really need all the protection we can get. They're out there folks. If it isn't the Canadians, it will be the US military invading our homes and the only chance we've got is a .223 in the hands of a gun-lover.
:lol:

when it comes to foreigners invading our homes, it's not the guns I'm concerned about.

ie - you can round up 2,000 citizens but maybe only 200 are trained and capable. rest are unfit or incompetent. fortunately... we have tons of capable armed citizens since hunting and guns are part of American tradition. I really pray that we have enough capable citizens to defend our home.

So, you expect Americans to stick with muskets and pikes while the enemy uses the latest and greatest weaponry? That's not logical.
Does the 2nd Amendment protect you from the enemy like Islamic terrorists, communist Cubans/North Korean military or even aliens? Isn't our military's job for which we pay taxes? That's why they have modern military weapons to defend our country. What I mean is that the 2nd Amendment was written for American citizens, not for our military. All over the world there are militaries.

Does the 2nd Amendment protect you from the enemy like Islamic terrorists, communist Cubans/North Korean military or even aliens? Isn't our military's job for which we pay taxes? That's why they have modern military weapons to defend our country.

it is citizen's job to defend our home too aka militias. America is a big country with limited resource. they cannot always be everywhere for us.

look at New Orleans and now Hurricane Sandy. even the government was overwhelmed to help them. the volunteers stepped in to help these people.

it is citizen's job to defend our home too aka militias. America is a big country with limited resource. they cannot always be everywhere for us.

look at New Orleans and now Hurricane Sandy. even the government was overwhelmed to help them. the volunteers stepped in to help these people.
Hurricane Sandy was the enemy? HA! We can't fight against nature. If you talked about violence, we have cops.

Hurricane Sandy was the enemy? HA! We can't fight against nature. If you talked about violence, we have cops.

no. was talking about limited help we got from government. basically - it's "you're on your own till we get there." ........ days later. or weeks. so we citizens helped each other out.

5 then. that pretty much shows you how statistically insignificant it is to act on it. does it absolutely warrant infringing upon the Constitution and a colossal amount of tax money?

:lol:

when it comes to foreigners invading our homes, it's not the guns I'm concerned about.

ie - you can round up 2,000 citizens but maybe only 200 are trained and capable. rest are unfit or incompetent. fortunately... we have tons of capable armed citizens since hunting and guns are part of American tradition. I really pray that we have enough capable citizens to defend our home.

US gun accidents and suicides are astronomically higher than any other developed nation.

US gun homicides: 7 American victims to 1 non-American victim in the 23 wealthiest nations of the world.

What are you talking about? If the US is invaded, what is it 200 "capable" citizens are going to do? We have 1. 5 million active military service members and an equal number in reserves. What is it you are afraid of?

Back