Nitro's recent situation

A lot of good points here. The random factor is hard to be prepared for. It is how well you do when you have no time to think or plan.

My biggest concern about having loaded guns around with rounds in the chamber or not is the accident factor. We have quite a number of accidental shootings each year up here. Mostly amongst children and young adults.

I am not knowingly even going to get in the same car with someone carrying a round in the chamber safety on or safety off. Not only that I believe that I have a right to know what they got. I want to watch that weapon be emptied or emptied and reloaded without the round in the chamber and the safety on. A genuinely safe handler of firearms will have no problem with this. If they do have a problem well that is my opportunity to get out of an unsafe situation.

I myself am not trusted- I do not trust myself. I double check myself. I triple check myself. I am not uptight about all this just habitual. I got to also say this, Alcohol and guns do not mix.
Anyone have a good story of personal yeah I had my gun and it saved us?

LOL @ 2nd pix.

*audience groaning*

I like the bulletproof floatation device in the first pic....lol

And what about those work gloves ( no side sights on that rifle if you noticed...lol

A lot of good points here. The random factor is hard to be prepared for. It is how well you do when you have no time to think or plan.
The planning and the practicing need to happen before an incident. You cannot train for every situation but you can train for the common ones. This will give you a tool box to draw from. Training needs to be some what realistic to be effective. But awareness and avoidance are your best defense.

My biggest concern about having loaded guns around with rounds in the chamber or not is the accident factor. We have quite a number of accidental shootings each year up here. Mostly amongst children and young adults.

This is really sad and reason #1 why my guns are not accessible to anyone but myself and wife. This has more to do with what people leave laying around for kids to find than keeping a round in the chamber though.

I am not knowingly even going to get in the same car with someone carrying a round in the chamber safety on or safety off. Not only that I believe that I have a right to know what they got. I want to watch that weapon be emptied or emptied and reloaded without the round in the chamber and the safety on. A genuinely safe handler of firearms will have no problem with this. If they do have a problem well that is my opportunity to get out of an unsafe situation.

Guns in holsters don't go off. Your biggest risk getting in a car is a car accident. And while I do respect your view about your own personal safety I don't believe you have any right to know what's in my pockets in my car. If I get in your car then that's a different story, I'm in your personal property and need to abide by your rules.

I myself am not trusted- I do not trust myself. I double check myself. I triple check myself. I am not uptight about all this just habitual. I got to also say this, Alcohol and guns do not mix.
Anyone have a good story of personal yeah I had my gun and it saved us?

I couldn't agree more about alcohol and guns.

This is really sad and reason #1 why my guns are not accessible to anyone but myself and wife. This has more to do with what people leave laying around for kids to find than keeping a round in the chamber though.

My wife and my children do not know I have a gun and they'll probably never know. My dad had one in the house growing up and all of us never knew including my ma. I mean... I'm not HIDING it from her... just... that she has no interest in learning how to use one. I will still encourage her to learn but in the meantime... no need to know.

My wife and my children do not know I have a gun and they'll probably never know. My dad had one in the house growing up and all of us never knew including my ma. I mean... I'm not HIDING it from her... just... that she has no interest in learning how to use one. I will still encourage her to learn but in the meantime... no need to know.
You need to let your wife know. Even if she's not interested, it's your duty to inform her. It's her house too, and she has a right to know. It's a safety and trust issue.

Also, even if you don't tell your kids about the gun, you need to teach them gun safety. They need to know what they're supposed to do if they accidentally find a gun.

You need to let your wife know. Even if she's not interested, it's your duty to inform her. It's her house too, and she has a right to know. It's a safety and trust issue.

Also, even if you don't tell your kids about the gun, you need to teach them gun safety. They need to know what they're supposed to do if they accidentally find a gun.

My wife trusts me and I trust her. I'm talking about the handgun. It isn't in the house. Its in a fingerprint accessible safe on my trailer. We have a Mossberg for the house and she knows about it.

I don't "need" to do anything. That being said... I do agree on teaching my kids gun safety to an extent. I take my youngest to the skeet range from time to time with my dad. I don't think he's ready to deal with the handguns yet though. Probably never will but that's just a personal preference. If he's really interested then we'll deal with it then but he understands the danger and what to do.

Sorry Johnnyghost I do not know how to do all the quoting. I do have a right when I am in your car to know what kind of armed situation I am in. You can say no but that does not make it so and never will.
Whether or not I ask or not is another story. But by God I have a right to know. I have been around too many sloppy weapons handlers. Trust is not part of the scenario. Then you have people with peculiar beliefs on how and what they do.
I have no plans to get into anyone elses vehicle at any rate but when I was younger and actively involved jamming around doing stuff. It was an issue. Not everyone is trained the same at all. Did I mention about trust?

We'll just have to disagree on that one. If you want to be in my car that's a privilege I allow you. If you want to get out that's your right. In my state I only have to provide my CCW to law enforcement when requested. It's no body elses business.

My wife trusts me and I trust her. I'm talking about the handgun. It isn't in the house. Its in a fingerprint accessible safe on my trailer. We have a Mossberg for the house and she knows about it.

I don't "need" to do anything. That being said... I do agree on teaching my kids gun safety to an extent. I take my youngest to the skeet range from time to time with my dad. I don't think he's ready to deal with the handguns yet though. Probably never will but that's just a personal preference. If he's really interested then we'll deal with it then but he understands the danger and what to do.
It's just a foreign concept to me that you wouldn't want to share that information with your wife.

I didn't mean that you had to teach your children how to use handguns but just the basic safety rules about what to do if they happen to come across one.

I'm glad that your son knows what to do.

Sorry Johnnyghost I do not know how to do all the quoting....
In the lower right corner of each post there is a button "Quote." Click that when you want to reply to that specific post. It will automatically format the quotation in your reply post.

It's just a foreign concept to me that you wouldn't want to share that information with your wife.

I didn't mean that you had to teach your children how to use handguns but just the basic safety rules about what to do if they happen to come across one.

I'm glad that your son knows what to do.

It's not that I don't want to. I do wish she would be a part of it. Unfortunately, she wants nothing to do with them herself and has stated that she doesn't want to know. After thinking about it... I bet she'll eventually pick up on it though as our gun range fees are about to take a jump but I absolutely have NO intention of ever telling her on purpose.

Absolutely. My children participate with me on everything. Handguns though... are a different ball of wax. I'm not ready for them to pick up on it. Until I am... they will not know it's there. Probably never.

We'll just have to disagree on that one. If you want to be in my car that's a privilege I allow you. If you want to get out that's your right. In my state I only have to provide my CCW to law enforcement when requested. It's no body elses business.
When I am with someone carrying that has a bullet in the chamber, I am at risk. That bullet of all the bullets in the world is the most likely bullet to kill me.
Someone that gets on a public forum advocating carrying with a bullet in the chamber is not being responsible in any way shape or form.

Sorry Johnnyghost I do not know how to do all the quoting. I do have a right when I am in your car to know what kind of armed situation I am in. You can say no but that does not make it so and never will.
Whether or not I ask or not is another story. But by God I have a right to know. I have been around too many sloppy weapons handlers. Trust is not part of the scenario. Then you have people with peculiar beliefs on how and what they do.
I have no plans to get into anyone elses vehicle at any rate but when I was younger and actively involved jamming around doing stuff. It was an issue. Not everyone is trained the same at all. Did I mention about trust?

My employees are not directly aware of the weapon either. I haven't decided if I'm going to even tell them. Remember... guns are one of the most stolen things here in this country... so I'm afraid that if they knew, they might tell somebody in passing (without malice)... then before I know it... it gets hijacked. It's my gun ergo... my responsibility.

I'd like to point out again that you don't have to ride in my car. Also that unless you live in the few very gun restricting areas you probably encounter people everyday that are carrying firearms with a round in the chamber. Guns are designed to be carried with a round in the chamber, it is not irresponsible. I advocate that people educate themselves and make their own informed decision, I only gave my opinion.

I think that we're just to far apart on view to come to an agreement on this one.

My employees are not directly aware of the weapon either. I haven't decided if I'm going to even tell them. Remember... guns are one of the most stolen things here in this country... so I'm afraid that if they knew, they might tell somebody in passing (without malice)... then before I know it... it gets hijacked. It's my gun ergo... my responsibility.

I would not tell them. The fewer people that know the better.

My neighbor is a flight marshal, and when he rides with me to hardware stores, the landfill, etc, he is packing live heat every time. I know he is not going to shoot me, but, the fact that he has his fully-loaded & chambered Beretta sticking out of his sweatpants made me uncomfortable.

I asked him if he really needs to pack it in order to ride to Home Depot. His response was "There are crazy people out there, I need to be prepared".

There is a line that needs to be drawn somewhere between preparation and paranoia.

I would never tell anyone about my gun(s)
All it does is set you up for unwanted targeting.... Its better off not knowing by anyone else. If someone knows you have it, they will expect it, what they dont know is more to your advantage.

If someone was to rob me knowing I have a weapon , will take me by surprise as they prepared for the worst. If they dont know Im armed thats where I get them by surprise when they least expect it.

Back