Nitro's recent situation

I hope you have other means of preventing accidental discharges....

If they're double-action only, they're pretty safe. My last gun was a Kahr CW9, and there wasn't a safety, but I felt comfortable carrying with one in the chamber because it had a 14 pound pull, and was highly, highly unlikely to snag and discharge. Coupled with a good holster, you're very moderately safe.

I hope you have other means of preventing accidental discharges....

They are double action only. They are designed that way with no safety other than a long double action pull. I call them negligent discharges, I've yet to see a gun go off by accident but I've seen a few go off negligently.

I have a problem with this video.

realistically.... even a seasoned cop can't get out of this unharmed. and for an armed citizen with concealed weapon - their spider sense is always on - a constant vigilant situational awareness.

I wouldn't just stand there and gaze at a very suspicious person with his hands inside the pockets. It's very very obvious that he's up to something no good and you wouldn't be that close to him. But I do understand that sometimes it just happened suddenly and that's where your training (muscle memory) kicks in.

but as for "should you carry a round in the chamber" question? ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I find it extremely puzzling and illogical if you (general you) don't. why???? are you scared of yourself? you don't trust yourself? if that's a case.... I strongly advice you to leave the gun at home and get a further training. It's really really really imperative to practice practice practice because CCW is very different and more difficult than open carry. Your gun will be concealed and this does increase your response time (which is bad).

Increased response time = you get stabbed multiple of times

I do several IDPA competitions a year where it's all CCW scenario. a very good place to practice where you can develop muscle memory, improve your drawing speed and get over your fear.

I've done this several times at IDPA and it would be extremely useful especially for that woman. I don't think. I just do it and I trust myself 100%. I have a very good weapon manipulation of the pistol but I just need to work on my accuracy.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1qKWkGM2DY]Self Defense: Shooting From Retention - YouTube[/ame]

I cannot stress this enough - it's really absolutely important to participate in several IDPA competitions. It's for anybody to participate. It's where a bunch of Joe the Plumbers and sometimes a few military/LEO come together and have fun. As long as you can handle your gun in a safe, professional manner... everybody's happy even if you're a lousy shot. I cannot stress this enough. You will be surprised at how ill-prepared you are in your first session. It's a reality shock and you will gain a huge respect for your gun.

Watching some self-defense youtube videos and trying it out at your home is not quite the same. far far far far far from it. You just gotta get out of there and try it out in real life (in IDPA of course) and see it for yourself. Doing several IDPA competitions will help you develop a muscle memory and it will definitely decrease your response time.

I'll point out that she still got stabbed with a round in the chamber. Making the the action slower will result in more stabbings. My autos don't have safeties they are point and shoot.

my gun doesn't have a safety either and I don't believe in it. My finger is the safety *shrug*

If they're double-action only, they're pretty safe. My last gun was a Kahr CW9, and there wasn't a safety, but I felt comfortable carrying with one in the chamber because it had a 14 pound pull, and was highly, highly unlikely to snag and discharge. Coupled with a good holster, you're very moderately safe.

yuck. I'm not a big fan of DAO especially for a handgun w/ hammer and revolver. it's just bit too confusing for me... I don't know why.

realistically.... even a seasoned cop can't get out of this unharmed. and for an armed citizen with concealed weapon - their spider sense is always on - a constant vigilant situational awareness.
No one can be 100% vigilant

I wouldn't just stand there and gaze at a very suspicious person with his hands inside the pockets. It's very very obvious that he's up to something no good and you wouldn't be that close to him. But I do understand that sometimes it just happened suddenly and that's where your training (muscle memory) kicks in.
Yes it can happen suddenly and no matter how much training and muscle memory you have you may not have time to deploy a gun. Also some state require you by law to exhaust all other options before you defend yourself. Some may decide it's worth it to ignore the law.

but as for "should you carry a round in the chamber" question? ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I find it extremely puzzling and illogical if you (general you) don't. why???? are you scared of yourself? you don't trust yourself? if that's a case.... I strongly advice you to leave the gun at home and get a further training.

It's really really really imperative to practice practice practice because CCW is very different and more difficult than open carry. Your gun will be concealed and this does increase your response time (which is bad).

I do several IDPA competitions a year where it's all CCW scenario. a very good place to practice where you can develop muscle memory, improve your drawing speed and get over your fear.

I've done this several times at IDPA and it would be extremely useful especially for that woman. I don't think. I just do it and I trust myself 100%. I have a very good weapon manipulation of the pistol but I just need to work on my accuracy.

Self Defense: Shooting From Retention - YouTube

I cannot stress this enough - it's really absolutely important to participate in several IDPA competitions. It's for anybody to participate. It's where a bunch of Joe the Plumbers and sometimes a few military/LEO come together and have fun. As long as you can handle your gun in a safe, professional manner... everybody's happy even if you're a lousy shot. I cannot stress this enough. You will be surprised at how ill-prepared you are in your first session. It's a reality shock and you will gain a huge respect for your gun.

Watching some self-defense youtube videos and trying it out at your home is not quite the same. far far far far far from it. You just gotta get out of there and try it out in real life (in IDPA of course) and see it for yourself. Doing several IDPA competitions will help you develop a muscle memory and it will definitely decrease your response time.
IDPA is great but firearms are only a small portion of self defense. Also not everyone has a competition in their area.

but as for "should you carry a round in the chamber" question? ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I find it extremely puzzling and illogical if you (general you) don't. why???? are you scared of yourself? you don't trust yourself? if that's a case.... I strongly advice you to leave the gun at home and get a further training. It's really really really imperative to practice practice practice because CCW is very different and more difficult than open carry. Your gun will be concealed and this does increase your response time (which is bad).

Self Defense: Shooting From Retention - YouTube

Some people dont carry chambered because they are afraid.... afraid of the gun!!! Really, this is true when someone is new, or a new gun or whatever ...they are scared of it. Go to the range and shoot it, get used to it and get the feel of it.... Most of all.... Hit the Target !!!!!!
Role play in your mind, holster the gun... put the target at different distances... this thug is comming at you, say what you want " Stop " who cares, draw and shoot. DONT STAND STIFF AND FIRE AS YOU WONT BE DOING THAT IN REAL LIFE, YOU ARE GONNA BE TRYING TO SAVE YOUR OWN A** !!!!! Draw and fire, dont go through the whole aiming thing, get hand eye cordination at the range because in real life youre not going to be drawing it in a crowd, you will likely be in a secluded area ( alley, dark deserted street or at home ) *just examples* you are not going to have time to aim and zero in on your moving target, pull it and shoot it.

No one can be 100% vigilant

Yes it can happen suddenly and no matter how much training and muscle memory you have you may not have time to deploy a gun. Also some state require you by law to exhaust all other options before you defend yourself. Some may decide it's worth it to ignore the law.
that's why you need to expect to get injured in the process. you'll survive that way.

IDPA is great but firearms are only a small portion of self defense. Also not everyone has a competition in their area.
if you're carrying a firearm for CCW, then it's strongly advisable to try IDPA. IDPA is not close to me. It's an hour drive and it's only once a month. In a gun-friendly state, I'm sure there are several different kinds of shooting competitions similar to IDPA. in NJ - this is pretty much all we have for cheap.

I've been in situations where a handgun would have made a difference, yet I will never carry one. It is just a matter of personal preference.

Some people dont carry chambered because they are afraid.... afraid of the gun!!! Really, this is true when someone is new, or a new gun or whatever ...they are scared of it. Go to the range and shoot it, get used to it and get the feel of it.... Most of all.... Hit the Target !!!!!!
Role play in your mind, holster the gun... put the target at different distances... this thug is comming at you, say what you want " Stop " who cares, draw and shoot. DONT STAND STIFF AND FIRE AS YOU WONT BE DOING THAT IN REAL LIFE, YOU ARE GONNA BE TRYING TO SAVE YOUR OWN A** !!!!! Draw and fire, dont go through the whole aiming thing, get hand eye cordination at the range because in real life youre not going to be drawing it in a crowd, you will likely be in a secluded area ( alley, dark deserted street or at home ) *just examples* you are not going to have time to aim and zero in on your moving target, pull it and shoot it.

yea. that's why practicing at shooting range doesn't mean you'll have some fighting chance. you just gotta be in actual simulation scenario where you shoot on the run, weak hand, shoot around or behind obstacles, etc.

that way - you'll learn how to shoot with clarity even with your adrenaline pumping.

that's why you need to expect to get injured in the process. you'll survive that way.

I agree that you should train to fight through injury. I just meant that there are options other than drawing a gun that may be faster to deploy and give you a chance to get to your firearm. At that range you WILL get cut, the idea is to reduce the risk of getting fatally cut.
Don't Bring a Gun to a Knife Fight

if you're carrying a firearm for CCW, then it's strongly advisable to try IDPA. IDPA is not close to me. It's an hour drive and it's only once a month. In a gun-friendly state, I'm sure there are several different kinds of shooting competitions similar to IDPA. in NJ - this is pretty much all we have for cheap.

I'm all for competition. Again just pointing out that these teach only firearms that are only part of a well rounded self defense plan. Force on force training is the best if you can find it.

I agree that you should train to fight through injury. I just meant that there are options other than drawing a gun that may be faster to deploy and give you a chance to get to your firearm. At that range you WILL get cut, the idea is to reduce the risk of getting fatally cut.
Don't Bring a Gun to a Knife Fight

I'm all for competition. Again just pointing out that these teach only firearms that are only part of a well rounded self defense plan. Force on force training is the best if you can find it.
yes. that would be the best but then... lot of people are not in great shape. if that's the case - then I would like it if they can manipulate their gun well.

yes. that would be the best but then... lot of people are not in great shape. if that's the case - then I would like it if they can manipulate their gun well.

If someone is not in great shape I would like to point out that hear attacks kill more people than knife wielding maniacs. My suggestion to them would be to join a gym. If you mean people that are just small or old or sick, well that's somthing they will have to consider when coming up with a strategy.

If someone is not in great shape I would like to point out that hear attacks kill more people than knife wielding maniacs. My suggestion to them would be to join a gym. If you mean people that are just small or old or sick, well that's somthing they will have to consider when coming up with a strategy.

Florida. scary!

The most powerful weapon anyone can have is....................their brain.

I like guns, have been trained in handling them since I was 8 years old, have a lot of respect for them, agree with Beowulf above, yet I think it is better if I don't carry one everywhere I go....I don't want the responsibility associated with it.

There are certain times when I think it is necessary to have one...such as traveling to questionable areas, hiking in state forests, visiting Jiro in NYC, etc....wait, scratch that last one....

And, I am a strong believer in firearms training, especially frequent refresher courses.

The most powerful weapon anyone can have is....................their brain.

I like guns, have been trained in handling them since I was 8 years old, have a lot of respect for them, agree with Beowulf above, yet I think it is better if I don't carry one everywhere I go....I don't want the responsibility associated with it.

There are certain times when I think it is necessary to have one...such as traveling to questionable areas, hiking in state forests, visiting Jiro in NYC, etc....wait, scratch that last one....

And, I am a strong believer in firearms training, especially frequent refresher courses.
lol I don't live in NYC and I would never do. :lol:

Back