Never Good Enough

Sometimes, people think it's easier to just deny the issue and act like it never happened. That's why there are some hearing parents who don't learn sign language because they never really think about their child as being deaf or anything. They just try to go through life without thinking about it.

But in this case, learning sign is not usually the way that CAPD is dealt with.

Denying the actual problem is not helpful. There are therapies that are successful with CAPD.

But in this case, learning sign is not usually the way that CAPD is dealt with.

Denying the actual problem is not helpful. There are therapies that are successful with CAPD.
Yes, there are therapies... but the parents should at least try other alternatives instead of just denying it or thinking that only therapy is the answer.

What if they rather let someone else teacher her how to talk instead of learning sign language themselves?

Yes, there are therapies... but the parents should at least try other alternatives instead of just denying it or thinking that only therapy is the answer.

What if they rather let someone else teacher her how to talk instead of learning sign language themselves?

Vampy, the OP is an adult with a college degree. The CAPD has not been a problem which prevented her functioning and is very late diagnosed.

If this was a small child with a severe problem my advice would be different.

But then if the child did not learn or respond, it would more likely be AN and not CAPD.

just prove your parents and family members that you can acheive in every way with using your disability, you can do about anything to live thru the rough times.

Deaf or not... it's a matter of being comfortable.

If a person has a hard time understanding people (not because of deafness, but whatever else is the cause), then the other people should be willing to work with this person.

Deaf or not, not being able to understand what's being said... can be considered a handicap.

Precisely, VamPyroX! When I misunderstand something, I do repeat it back and when corrected, I always apologize "I'm sorry" and go on my way.

Unfortunately, it's the militant deaf people who INSIST on not letting things slide and they can catch it (understand it) later.

If we're not "disabled," then why are so many deaf people on disability? If not on disability and claim we're not disabled, why do they threaten to sue the pants off someone or a company for not providing an interpreter? :hmm:

Wow that changes everything. I thought she was deaf or hoh, but I never imagined CAPD.

Sounds to me like instead of just therapy, she should try rehabilitation or training that would improve the way she processes auditory input.

As for her parents, it could be that they are denying that she has an auditory processing disorder and they feel that since she can hear, she should be able to overcome it on her own.

I wish the OP the best of luck, but I didn't know the whole story before.

Deaf or not... it's a matter of being comfortable.

If a person has a hard time understanding people (not because of deafness, but whatever else is the cause), then the other people should be willing to work with this person.

Deaf or not, not being able to understand what's being said... can be considered a handicap.

Well said!!

A parent is supposed to communicate with their child.

A child is not supposed to feel uncomfortable around their own parent.

Disabled or not, hearing or not, communication should never be a barrier between parent and child.

Unfortunately, it's the militant deaf people who INSIST on not letting things slide and they can catch it (understand it) later.

If we're not "disabled," then why are so many deaf people on disability? If not on disability and claim we're not disabled, why do they threaten to sue the pants off someone or a company for not providing an interpreter? :hmm:

Wow, talk about going way off discourse! :shock:

Precisely, VamPyroX! When I misunderstand something, I do repeat it back and when corrected, I always apologize "I'm sorry" and go on my way.

It is our way of communicating...needing a terp, VRS and all that shouldnt be looked as a disability need but as a different way of communicating.

ARe English-speaking people disabled when they go to a country that doesnt speak English?

not sure I have CAPD

Some interesting discussion. But, at this point, I am not quite sure whether CAPD is the correct diagnosis. I decided to try digital BTE's and they HELP A LOT! My tympanograms are still abnormal and and I have NO MEMR's (middle ear muscle reflexes). People with AN/AD can do very poorly on tests for CAPD, but it does not mean they necessarily have it.

All I know is, the HA's help me hear better. And I am starting to get out and DO things with people again. I have been advised to see a NEUROLOGIST, as opposed to needing to see a psychiatrist. I have learned that AS is a PDD as opposed to a "mental illness." I have learned that TS is a "tic" or "movement" disorder.

I couldn't decide which "label" to use for myself. Sometimes Deaf people would say I was HOH. Or occasionally Deaf. Other people tended to look at me as either Hearing or "hearing impaired." I no longer see myself as Hearing. And I don't care for the term "hearing impaired" either. Because I am not a "broken Hearing person." I do not see myself as "communication disordered," since I can exchange ideas (or whatever) with other people via Sign, written English, and often spoken English as well.

Mothers and daughters may have "communication breakdowns" for any number of reasons. (Just like anybody else.) Since posting that thread, I have realized that I am my own person, separate from my mother, father, significant other, or whatever. In other words, I have decided to just get on with my life.

You are not supposed to allow other people determine which label you are.

You determine who you are.

Some interesting discussion. But, at this point, I am not quite sure whether CAPD is the correct diagnosis. I decided to try digital BTE's and they HELP A LOT! My tympanograms are still abnormal and and I have NO MEMR's (middle ear muscle reflexes). People with AN/AD can do very poorly on tests for CAPD, but it does not mean they necessarily have it.

All I know is, the HA's help me hear better. And I am starting to get out and DO things with people again. I have been advised to see a NEUROLOGIST, as opposed to needing to see a psychiatrist. I have learned that AS is a PDD as opposed to a "mental illness." I have learned that TS is a "tic" or "movement" disorder.

I couldn't decide which "label" to use for myself. Sometimes Deaf people would say I was HOH. Or occasionally Deaf. Other people tended to look at me as either Hearing or "hearing impaired." I no longer see myself as Hearing. And I don't care for the term "hearing impaired" either. Because I am not a "broken Hearing person." I do not see myself as "communication disordered," since I can exchange ideas (or whatever) with other people via Sign, written English, and often spoken English as well.

Mothers and daughters may have "communication breakdowns" for any number of reasons. (Just like anybody else.) Since posting that thread, I have realized that I am my own person, separate from my mother, father, significant other, or whatever. In other words, I have decided to just get on with my life.
What is the diagnosis from the professionals.

Sorry that you're being thrown around between different people.

It can be annoying when one thing can be diagnosed differently by different people.

One person says it's mental. Another says it's the ears. Another says it's the nerves. Another says it's the genes. :dizzy:

Just hang in there... :)

Pretty sure now

I have done a lot of reading (about both CAPD AND AN/AD) since I last posted to this thread. A local ENT diagnosed me with SNLH and (accompanying) tinnitus. I looked up the specific diagnostic code (for the SNHL) and (according to that system) CAPD is excluded. People with AN/AD almost always have trouble hearing (understanding) in background noise. People with CAPD may or may not, since there are different sub-types. (According to what I read, anyway.) Also, I have read (from several sources) that hearing aids DO NOT HELP with CAPD. However, hearing aids may or may not help someone with AN/AD. Mine DO help. Significantly. Also, I did some "digging" into the subject of "ototoxic" medications. I discovered that not one or two, but SEVERAL of the medications I have taken in the past can cause tinnitus and/or hearing loss in a small number of people. I have become much more "proactive" about knowing the possible "risks" of any and all medications I may choose to take (even OTCs). I pretty much know which (additional) tests I would need to "pinpoint" WHY I have SNHL, but I don't know if my insurance would pay for them.
A local audiolologist believes that my hearing is "stable," and recommended that I be rechecked in two years. Bearing all these things in mind, I have decided, what is done is done. There is no sense in agonizing over something that cannot be reversed. I have decided to focus on maximizing the use of what hearing I DO have, and getting on with my life. I have found a possible source of improving my understanding in background noise. It is a software program called LACE, sometimes used for "aural rehabilitation" by (first-time) hearing aid users. I may look into buying one of the "home" versions, when I find a good price on the net. I have found some very useful "communication strategies" in books from local libraries and a second-hand bookstore. I even occasionally laugh at the things I THINK I hear people saying. Keeping a sense of humor helps tremendously.

Glad you have found some answers and your take on moving on is a good one. all the best!

Back