Name Sign for Obama?

A fellow terp in SC sent me this email:

"I've seen a number of deaf here in the Spartanburg area signing his name with the letter O bounced twice on top of the back of the open left hand, palm facing down. The orientation of the O handshape is with the pinky finger side (right hand) bouncing on the left hand, while the thumb side of the actual O handshape faces upward. It's kinda hard to explain, but that's the best I can do. Anyway, that's the name sign for Obama that I've seen going around in my area."

(Spartanburg is where the state school for the Deaf is located.}

That is good I think so getting OBama is show you flag. I Think so USA> that is meaning show you pic. I think so good. I think so getting interest to about to you. I think so better black person first time. I wish be peaceful. I guess you are important to show hero President. :)

Our teacher showed us a video that explained his name sign. I thought it was pretty cool. They did a "o" and a "b" and quickly had the "b" wave as if it was a flag. ... I'm not good at explaining so I'm going to post the video link she showed us below:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67V8qWQd_EM]YouTube - an Open Letter for President Obama (ASL and Subtitled)[/ame]

Interesting..
I have used the O-Flag sign because it makes sense. Other deaf people in my area (Las Vegas, NV), have used O-Black...which I don't like. I have not met them, but I was told through interpreters.

I guess it's another one of those "dialects" that varies from state to state.

Anyone know the sign for Las Vegas? Other than L V?

i've seen 2 name signs for Obama. the first seems more prevalent. it starts with an "O" and moves into a "B" signed like a flag. The other was 2 handed, the sign for "change" made with "o" and "b" handshapes. Possibly regional to Midwest, but i've had several VRS terps use them too.

The sign name for Obama seems to be the "O" moving into a "B" as in flag. It's the sign I've seen most commonly used and recognized. It's supposed to reflect the symbol that was often used during his campaign.

Pleeeeze do NOT shoot the messenger!

A sign I saw for Obama is a rope with a knot, like hanging. :giggle: I read this entire thread and did not see this mentioned. Not my style.

I've only ever seen the sign "change" made starting with an "O" and changing to a "B" here in NY. I think I like the flag one better...

Anyone happen to know the sign for G.W. Bush?

HEY ALL!! I KNW OBAMA'S NAME SIGN....IVE SEEN IT USED IN CALI AND WAS GIVEN FROM GALLAUDET...LOOK AT THIS VIDEO

I THINK THIS IS A GREAT NAME SIGN 4 HIM!! IF YOU CANT SEE THIS VIDEO GO TO THE LINK...

HOPE YOU ALL ENJOY AND SPREAD THE WORD!!

Our teacher showed us a video that explained his name sign. I thought it was pretty cool. They did a "o" and a "b" and quickly had the "b" wave as if it was a flag. ... I'm not good at explaining so I'm going to post the video link she showed us below:

Beautifully explained by our very own gnarlydorkette.

HEY ALL!! I KNW OBAMA'S NAME SIGN....IVE SEEN IT USED IN CALI AND WAS GIVEN FROM GALLAUDET...LOOK AT THIS VIDEO
I personally can't stand the man myself, but I'd be willing to use that sign for him since it's basically just a manual version of his logo. I would have had a lot of trouble using a sign intended to illustrate integrity or anything like that.

Here's a namesign from Dr. Bill's sight (lifeprint.com). I'm not sure where he got it or how wide spread it's use is.

Obama name sign

--patrick

I can't stand this video. It is ridiculous and I don't accept this sign language at all! Not acceptable!

I prefer Obama as fingerspelling in formal way. I do not accept this:

Use an "O" hand shape that becomes a backward facing "B" hand shape.
This sign is based on a combination of the letter "O" and the sign for "FLAG."

I disapproved it at all. The fingerspelling is the best way and properly because too many deaf people have problem with vocabulary spelling. That's very important that we should use Obama as fingerspelling in formal way. Thank you.:ty:

I think it's cool that the name sign for Obama is made with a sign for flag. It's very Presidential in nature and reinforces the logo he used during his campaign. :)

That's your opinion.

To me.. No, it's not cool and it is too weird to look at. Very funny looking too. The fingerspelling is the best way to improvement the memory and the skill. I love the fingerspelling because it make me feel more like hearing world. I like to be equal as hearing world.. They speak in spelling and we should use finger in spelling.. It is more properly. That's the way.

That's your opinion.

To me.. No, it's not cool and it is too weird to look at. Very funny looking too. The fingerspelling is the best way to improvement the memory and the skill. I love the fingerspelling because it make me feel more like hearing world. I like to be equal as hearing world.. They speak in spelling and we should use finger in spelling.. It is more properly. That's the way.

Let's agree to disagree. :)

If someone wants to fingerspell Obama's name, there's nothing stopping them from doing so.

I like to be equal as hearing world.. They speak in spelling and we should use finger in spelling.. It is more properly. That's the way.
Actually, we speak in words (or morphemes, if you want the linguistic term) which are directly analogous to signs, and in actuality, hearing people almost never spell words to each other. I'm not sure where you got the idea that we "speak in spelling", but it's not true, and sign language is in no way inferior on any level.

That is difficult to how you know deaf want to sign "O", hard to complex. I doint know.

Back