MSNBC: Texas to let teachers bring guns to school

Status
Not open for further replies.
um... kids are not allowed to carry guns - you need to be minimum of 18 years old. Most states do not allow fully-automatic weapons - you need to have a separate license for that :roll:

perhaps you meant to be sarcastic or just joking around but this is a pretty bad joke. Gun is not funny. It's a serious responsibility for serious people. Apparently you thought it is funny. How offensive.

GAWD you're anal. Relax that trigger finger, cowboy!:giggle:

But since you are picking the posts without questions to reply to, do yo think you could go back and reply to the hard ones with the questions, now?

I am just not sure what kind of an example it would set.

I agree that the principle of setting an example should be practiced more than rash, knee-jerk responses based out of fear.

My main concerns lie with a) a gun anywhere on the premises is accessible. An overpowered teacher can forced to surrender his/her weapon and b) with the knowledge that there are armed person(s) there, worse measures would be considered (i.e., bomb, arson, etc.).

Do you know what proactive means?

And exactly how would it open up a load of lawsuits from parents?

I would hope that the majority of society is capable of thought. And that was directed at you, not Reba. Fight your own battles.

again - if you cannot convince us OR me, how can you convince the society? good luck :cool2: Don't you forget we live in a litiguous country? You're labeling someone's child as a potential case (in other word... a possible gun shooter or a danger to society in future time)... expect a lawsuit from parents. You're making parents think they're raising their kids wrong or maybe they think you will ruin kid's future. who knows?

Individuals with a Master's degree will fail a CCW certification program? Teachers failing a federal background check? They shouldn't be teaching in the first place!

The approved plan does not make a provision for the school's approval criteria.

didn't you hear in news about several teachers with failed background check at later date? Their teaching certifications were fraudalant, a couple of teachers were pedophile/ex-criminal, etc. Each states/district/county have different requirement for CCW. For example - PA will issues CCW to anyone who wishes to apply but you need a separate CCW for Philadelphia. Cities has its own regulation regarding CCW.

It's complicated... really. oh btw - notice "and/or"

Now you are just being silly. If you are going to play on people's fear, let's just say it wouldn't protect from an invasion from Mars, either.:giggle:

Again, cite the actual risk.
What part of my post is silly or untrue? I'm not playing on fears; just stating facts. When I walk thru a school building as a stranger without a name badge, unchallenged by any staff member, I don't dwell in fear because of that. When I sit in a classroom with only one exit but lots of exterior windows, I don't quake in fear. But I'm aware that there is no foolproof security in schools. Those same doors that lock people out in a school "lock down" can also trap them in. I don't fear that but I'm aware of that.

I agree that the principle of setting an example should be practiced more than rash, knee-jerk responses based out of fear.

My main concerns lie with a) a gun anywhere on the premises is accessible. An overpowered teacher can forced to surrender his/her weapon and b) with the knowledge that there are armed person(s) there, worse measures would be considered (i.e., bomb, arson, etc.).

And those are very valid and realistic concerns.

didn't you hear in news about several teachers with failed background check at later date? Their teaching certifications were fraudalant, a couple of teachers were pedophile/ex-criminal, etc.

And are they teaching now?

GAWD you're anal. Relax that trigger finger, cowboy!:giggle:

But since you are picking the posts without questions to reply to, do yo think you could go back and reply to the hard ones with the questions, now?

I am trying. This thread is getting flooded fast! :dizzy: I'm using IE instead of FF which drastically reduced my ability to respond to it quickly. There's something wrong with my FF so.... oh well.

What part of my post is silly or untrue? I'm not playing on fears; just stating facts. When I walk thru a school building as a stranger without a name badge, unchallenged by any staff member, I don't dwell in fear because of that. When I sit in a classroom with only one exit but lots of exterior windows, I don't quake in fear. But I'm aware that there is no foolproof security in schools. Those same doors that lock people out in a school "lock down" can also trap them in. I don't fear that but I'm aware of that.

Being aware of it does not constitute a risk that needs to be addressed through the issue of concealed carry permits on school property.

And are they teaching now?

FORTUNATELY nope. but UNFORTUNATELy there are handful of teachers who are such cases. It's just matter of time till they get caught.

again - if you cannot convince us OR me, how can you convince the society? good luck :cool2: Don't you forget we live in a litiguous country? You're labeling someone's child as a potential case (in other word... a possible gun shooter or a danger to society in future time)... expect a lawsuit from parents. You're making parents think they're raising their kids wrong or maybe they think you will ruin kid's future. who knows?

"Potential gun shooter" is not a diagnosis found in the DSM IV TR.:laugh2: Nor is "danger to society in future time.":laugh2:

Who said anything about parents raising their kids wrong or ruining their kid's future? God, jiro, stop making stuff up.

I am trying. This thread is getting flooded fast! :dizzy: I'm using IE instead of FF which drastically reduced my ability to respond to it quickly. There's something wrong with my FF so.... oh well.

Doesn't affect your ability to answer questions.

FORTUNATELY nope. but UNFORTUNATELy there are handful of teachers who are such cases. It's just matter of time till they get caught.

Very nice. You made Woka's point valid.:giggle:

Doesn't affect your ability to answer questions.

yes it does. I multi-task easily in FF that enables me to effectively respond to posts with statistic, etc... and even proper spelling - to make sure there's no misunderstanding ^_^

Very nice. You made Woka's point valid.:giggle:

um.... no? They're not going to get armed, if that's what you're saying. Why would they risk further background check if they're a fraud?

yes it does. I multi-task easily in FF that enables me to effectively respond to posts with statistic, etc... and even proper spelling - to make sure there's no misunderstanding ^_^

Complete and utter avoidance. You could have answered one of the previous questions already instead of trying so hard to make excuses for not answering them.

um.... no? They're not going to get armed, if that's what you're saying. Why would they risk further background check if they're a fraud?

Still not answering questions. Come on, jiro. :roll:

... The policy, in fact, does provide the allowance for every teacher to be armed. ...
Just because every teacher would be allowed to carry a weapon after accomplishing the required training, it doesn't mean every teacher will participate. Those teachers who don't want to carry a weapon won't be forced to carry a weapon. It's most likely that very few teachers will be willing to go thru the training and expense of carrying a concealed weapon, nor will many teachers even want to carry a weapon at school for their own personal reasons.

There are many people in the USA who have permits to carry concealed weapons. A small percentage of them actually carry a concealed gun on a regular basis. I've had a permit for years, and I've never carried my weapon concealed. Hubby carries his a few times per year. I know several friends and family members who very rarely carry their weapons concealed. The owner of our local gun shop and practice range very rarely carries a concealed weapon.

Just because people have the right to carry a concealed weapon doesn't mean they pack heat every day to every place they go. The same would be true for the teachers.

Complete and utter avoidance. You could have answered one of the previous questions already instead of trying so hard to make excuses for not answering them.

Please refrain from flooding the thread with personal attacks. I'm currently responding to your switzerland post because I have to correct your fallacious post with a lousy source you came up with. :ty:

Just because every teacher would be allowed to carry a weapon after accomplishing the required training, it doesn't mean every teacher will participate. Those teachers who don't want to carry a weapon won't be forced to carry a weapon. It's most likely that very few teachers will be willing to go thru the training and expense of carrying a concealed weapon, nor will many teachers even want to carry a weapon at school for their own personal reasons.

There are many people in the USA who have permits to carry concealed weapons. A small percentage of them actually carry a concealed gun on a regular basis. I've had a permit for years, and I've never carried my weapon concealed. Hubby carries his a few times per year. I know several friends and family members who very rarely carry their weapons concealed. The owner of our local gun shop and practice range very rarely carries a concealed weapon.

Just because people have the right to carry a concealed weapon doesn't mean they pack heat every day to every place they go. The same would be true for the teachers.

But it does allow for the possibility. And this is all based on possibility. And the chances of more armed teachers than non-armed teachers under legislation such as this is greater than the possibility of any given school being involved in a shooting incident in any given year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back