Movie theater prices.

I understand that costs have gone up for theaters to even operate. I do feel that the price to go to a movie has gone up a bit too much. The price for anything and everything is going up and the problem is that people's paychecks are NOT. No one would complain about the price of going to the movies if they were making more money. I always try to get free movie passes somehow or discounted passes. I live so differently now than I did ten years ago, its sort of sad. I shop for everything online. I got this so I can buy my tickets off of Fandango from now on as well....

FREE $500 Fandango Gift Certificate

u don't need to pay for it

The cost of a ticket is getting to be outrageous.

Here in California its over 10$ unless you catch the matinee.

Doesnt anyone think that just might discourage people from going?

I know I'm going less and less....just picking out the ones I HAVE to see.. not just to pass the time, know what I mean?

Will there be a ceiling? An end? They go up like eveery year not to mention. 10 years ago they were 6$.

And this is why Star Wars is definatly the highest grossing movie of all time.
IT FREE U NEED GOTO ON WEBSITE WWW.WATCH FREE MOVIES ONLINE OR GOTO WWW.QUICKSLIVER SCREEN IT FREE TO WATCH U CAN WATCH ANY NEW REALEASE ENJOY IT AND BE HAPPYhttp://www.alldeaf.com/images/smilies/gpost.gif
http://www.alldeaf.com/images/smilies

When I worked at a movie theater (1969-70), adult tickets were $1 each. (Of course, I was paid only $1.65/hour for a 60-hour week, no overtime). It was a single theater, converted classic vaudeville theater with backstage dressing rooms, heavy curtains, full stage, ornate decor and opera boxes.

Many people don't realize that the local theater doesn't make much profit from the ticket sales. It's the money that they get from the refreshments that keeps them afloat. Revenues were much better from kiddie matinees than from blockbusters.

The ticket revenue goes to the movie distributors.

I go to an IMAX movie, maybe once per year.

I've heard some inside gossip that movie budgets are grossly exaggerated. It would make sense considering the exaggerations some say they give about income lost due to piracy.

I agree though the theatre prices are outrageous. Both for admission and even more so for the concession. Most theatres it's the same price as a fast food meal for just popcorn and a drink.

I remember when cheap night was $2 at some theatres.
Now many theatres have stopped offering cheap night.

Was at Universal Studio's Citywalk the other day and movie admission is 12 bucks, 15 bucks for an IMAX screen.

I believe it averages $9.25 out here in AZ. Unless you go to a theater that isn't a chain, they tend to have military discounts or deals, getting us in for about $6.50. But these theaters never have captioned movies, so I avoid 'em often.

My question: why can't they make all movies open captioned? It's not like it ever hurts the hearing population whatsoever... and instead, I can only go see a movie once a week to once a month, depending what movie they choose for captions.

Oh, and regarding the Q if the high prices would decline attendance? Slightly, but not much. People love seeing new movies on BIG screens, and they'll certainly splurge for it. I think the popcorn costs should be reduced though. haha

Movie theaters are over-rated. If you're gonna complain about the prices go or do something else instead. I'll just watch my $1 movies on my very large tv screen and surround sound stereo instead, and enjoy my .30 cents popcorn and sodas.

I'm content with the 100" screen at home, no need to pay $10 to get your seat kicked at, step on a gum, deal with rude people and the strong fragrances while trying to watch a movie and actually enjoy it with all these. Not to mention the bright lights coming from the cell phones.

Theatres aren't what they used to be.

Plus my theatre is 100% accessible, unlikely the movie theatres. That makes things even better.

I watch movies before it even hit the shelf

100% accessible. 100% free. 100% Jiro. :cool2:

I'm predicting a collapse of 2D movies at movie theaters or that movie theaters themselve collapse but will probably struggle to survive with 3D movies in the coming years. Still, I'll be at home with my personal entertainment center and cheap snacks.

I'm predicting a collapse of 2D movies at movie theaters or that movie theaters themselve collapse but will probably struggle to survive with 3D movies in the coming years. Still, I'll be at home with my personal entertainment center and cheap snacks.

nah not anytime soon.

curious - is "struggle" your favorite word? you seem to be throwing a lot of that around here :dunno:

Hollywood is hardly struggling.

It's the movie theatres that are struggling. They aren't well-managed and they are expanding at a rapid rate which is unhealthy and often a bad thing.

Just think of all of the movie theatres that were either expanded or built in the last 20 years.

Hollywood is hardly struggling.

It's the movie theatres that are struggling. They aren't well-managed and they are expanding at a rapid rate which is unhealthy and often a bad thing.

Just think of all of the movie theatres that were either expanded or built in the last 20 years.

I didn't say Hollywood. If movie theaters cannot support themselves through 2D movies despite the high prices I'm sure they'll become increasingly dependent on 3D movies and other sensory experiences that a home theater cannot provide.

I didn't say Hollywood. If movie theaters cannot support themselves through 2D movies despite the high prices I'm sure they'll become increasingly dependent on 3D movies and other sensory experiences that a home theater cannot provide.

why would they depend on 2D movies if Hollywood is producing 3D movies? They'll adapt. no biggie.

why would they depend on 2D movies if Hollywood is producing 3D movies? They'll adapt. no biggie.

Natural transition to something bigger and better sensory experience. You don't see Hollywood producing black and white movies on a large scale, do you?

Back