Movie theater prices.

Today, the new hype is IMAX and/or 3D.

It's funny because IMAX first debuted in the 1960s. It took them this long to become popular. With Avatar, the IMAX industry finally hit the $100 million mark in a year across North America for the first time.

The IMAX technology along with the 3D technology has been around for quite a while. The 3D technology was available for at least a decade.

It's funny because IMAX first debuted in the 1960s. It took them this long to become popular. With Avatar, the IMAX industry finally hit the $100 million mark in a year across North America for the first time.

The IMAX technology along with the 3D technology has been around for quite a while. The 3D technology was available for at least a decade.
I think they didn't have enough 3D movies to show that was part of the problem.

I think they didn't have enough 3D movies to show that was part of the problem.

There are a few factors in why it didn't take off earlier than expected.

Not many movie theatres were equipped with digital projectors due to the costs and that it wasn't simply good enough compared to the film projectors until a few years ago.

The 3D camcorders (video cameras) were incredibly expensive, which is why a lot of studios didn't go with 3D movies for the time being. They were also unconvinced that it would bring in more money. They were right because there weren't enough movie theatres capable of projecting the movies in 3D. Only a few would experiment with it. In fact, James Cameron was the one pushing the technology years ago. He was heavily involved in developing the high definition 3D camcorders, he experimented with them by using them for his documentaries. There were some movies that played with it too. For example, Spy Kids 3-D. Unfortunately, they had no choice but to give out the red and blue glasses since they didn't have the digital projectors at the time.

Now, regarding the IMAX technology. The reason why not many movies were filmed using IMAX technology is due to the costs of the equipment and the film negatives. They are far more expensive compared to 35mm film negatives. 35mm is the standard in Hollywood these days. There were a few movies back then that were filmed in 70mm, which is what IMAX use. Ben-Hur was fllmed using 70mm film negatives.

The film industry is now becoming more comfortable with the 3D technology and now that the 3D technology is now becoming more available in the home theatre industry, things are going to change even more.

There's a lot of factors, that's for sure.

However, I do believe the 3D craze is just a trend right now. We will see a lot more 3D movies in the coming years, but we'll see that they will be on the decline. We'll still see 3D movies, but just not as many as we are seeing right now.

Why do you think they will decline, Banjo? Is there a technology that will supplant 3-D?

3D is great for "action" and scenic films but it's not necessary, or even distracting, for films that have more developed characterization and stories.

3D is great for "action" and scenic films but it's not necessary, or even distracting, for films that have more developed characterization and stories.

Exactly. For a movie like 'Avatar', it's definitely worth watching in 3D. But for a movie that wasn't filmed in 3D, like the upcoming "Clash of the Titans" remake, it shouldn't had been converted to 3D at the last minute. People are bashing the movie to pieces right now because of the terrible job they did on converting it.

3D isn't meant to be used on every movie out there. Just some.

Why do you think they will decline, Banjo? Is there a technology that will supplant 3-D?

3D technology is a big trend at the moment. So it's unlikely it'll stay popular for years to come. It'll be popular as long they come in small doses rather than on a weekly basis.

No, people will just want to go back to watching 2D movies more often than 3D movies. Especially with these 3D glasses, they can be quite a hassle. I don't mind watching a 3D movie once in a while, but not every time. People eventually will demand that they want to see a movie in 2D.

So no, I wouldn't say that a new technology will supplant 3D. Sure, there's that multi-sensory technology. However, it's not going to take off anytime soon knowing how the movie theatres work. They move at the speed of a snail when it comes to embracing new technology and I have a good hunch consumers won't embrace it so quickly either. It's likely it will be experimented with someday soon, but not with the intention to mainstream it. Just like they did back in the old days with disaster and horror movies. They would add devices under the chairs to either shake or give you a jolt. It'll just be a niché market, just like 3D was in the old days.

As someone who is pretty much an avid film buff and also has a keen interest in learning how the film industry works. You learn to pick up on the patterns and knowledge that many people may not be familiar with. Not just that, I work in marketing. So I get a good idea of how the consumers' mind work.

Video and music piracy via downloading is wrong. Those artists will never see a dime from that.

you might want to tell that to RIAA/MPAA. They are the one who are bankrupting artists

I agreed that movie ticket prices are very outrageous today. I don't go to the movie alot today. Most of times I wait until the movie come on DVD so I can watch it with closed captioned. I use to rent movie at RedBox (www.redbox.com) from most supermarkets for $1 per night or borrow DVD for free from most local libraries for one week.

Where I live, if you have an orange mobile phone, you can get two cinema tickets for the price of one every Wednesday. The cheapest tickets are about £8.50p. Kevin.

Exactly. For a movie like 'Avatar', it's definitely worth watching in 3D. But for a movie that wasn't filmed in 3D, like the upcoming "Clash of the Titans" remake, it shouldn't had been converted to 3D at the last minute. People are bashing the movie to pieces right now because of the terrible job they did on converting it.

3D isn't meant to be used on every movie out there. Just some.

Well said.

Piranha, a classic movie, is now being remade into 3D and I suspect this won't hold the same adrenaline suspense like it did in the past.

It's all really into the sound effects and the adrenaline of the moment.

Like Banjo said, some movies are just meant to be done into 3D.

If people are getting less on attend to movie theatre then rental will led to raise cost. Who know?

If people are getting less on attend to movie theatre then rental will led to raise cost. Who know?

Actually, a lot of video stores are closing due to the steep decline in the rental market. People are now renting more often from online services like Netflix and such.

Blockbuster is deep in debt, I believe it's around a billion dollars.

Actually, a lot of video stores are closing due to the steep decline in the rental market. People are now renting more often from online services like Netflix and such.

Yeah, they're liquidating a lot of their assets to make up for their loss.

A lot of their stores have been closing up around here. Since the last couple months, they've closed at least 10 Blockbuster Video locations around here. Right now, they have one still standing... a few miles from my apartment.

I stop going to movies as the prices are too high and I can't understand what being said half the time! If someone tell a joke on the movie I can never understand what they said! Movie theaters do have a senoir discount , there is one here that I only have to pay $5.00 . It a very small movie theater.

The Blockbuster in my city closed up! When I go to the public library on a Friday , I see a lot of people picking out free movie for the weekend!
If you have a nice big TV you can enjoy a movie right in your own home and not have to pay $10.00 for a box of pop corn!

The Blockbuster in my city closed up! When I go to the public library on a Friday , I see a lot of people picking out free movie for the weekend!
If you have a nice big TV you can enjoy a movie right in your own home and not have to pay $10.00 for a box of pop corn!

Yep, I have a 1080p HD projector along with a 100" pull-down screen at home. :)

Back