Mmm..more hearing people joining this AD

So...for anyone who is willing to answer this.... What is it REALLY like to be deaf? What kind of hardships do you face, what are the things you find yourself liking, or grateful for? What would you change if you could, or would you change anything at all? Is it difficult dealing with 'hearies' who just don't express interest in your language? What about people who look at you like it's a disability? Does that make you frustrated or angry? I don't mean to come off offensive AT ALL...but, as a hearing person I have no way to know unless I ask. I hope you understand where I am coming from, and do not get angry at me.

I think you shorted out my brain when you asked what it really is like to be deaf. What I hear is normal for me.:giggle: I've never known what normal hearing is. Do you?

Anyway given the type of deafness I have, it is difficult for me to make out words even though I can hear them.

When I speak to people, they think I must be able to hear as well as I speak. Nope. As for lipreading it's full of pitfalls and many wonder if I can lipread at all despite my attempts to educate them. Others think I'm an excellent lipreader. :dunno:

If there is one thing I could change about my deafness, I would want to sent to a school for the Deaf instead of being mainstreamed.

I don't expect most hearing to know ASL so I use various tactics to talk to them on an as needed basis.

As for those who look down on it as a disability, I won't comment on it if it's a person I just meet thought I will say differently to some people I know if they're at all reasonable. With the unreasonable types, I don't say anything at all unless I need to yell STFU!

Hey don't worry, I think you'll fit in fine around here. :) :wave:

i leanred asl before i started to lose my hearing, not at a fast rate but noticably. kinda nice to know that i already know asl if i were to wake up one morning not being able to hear at all (that wouldnt happen but you get the idea) sure i would miss music and the sound of an engine but other than that it wouldnt bother me greatly. the only thing it would really harm is the hearing an engine part. i fix cars and listening for problems is half the battle in most cases. but i could get around that.

i leanred asl before i started to lose my hearing, not at a fast rate but noticably. kinda nice to know that i already know asl if i were to wake up one morning not being able to hear at all (that wouldnt happen but you get the idea) sure i would miss music and the sound of an engine but other than that it wouldnt bother me greatly. the only thing it would really harm is the hearing an engine part. i fix cars and listening for problems is half the battle in most cases. but i could get around that.

Can't hear car engines either. Been learning how to drive stick this year and I keep yelling at my husband,

"When do I switch gears!!!???"

He: "Can't you hear the engine working harder??? GO INTO 2ND, GO INTO 2ND!"

Me: "Are you SERIOUSLY asking me that???!!!" (forgetting to hit clutch)

*ENGINE STALLS*

Use the tach if there is one in it. You do not need to hear the engine then. If not put a tach in it..... fairly cheap

Can't hear car engines either. Been learning how to drive stick this year and I keep yelling at my husband,

"When do I switch gears!!!???"

He: "Can't you hear the engine working harder??? GO INTO 2ND, GO INTO 2ND!"

Me: "Are you SERIOUSLY asking me that???!!!" (forgetting to hit clutch)

*ENGINE STALLS*

Use the tach if there is one in it. You do not need to hear the engine then. If not put a tach in it..... fairly cheap

Yeah - my brother taught me to drive sick shift using the tach or RPM gauge. After that, it was really easy.

When I first learned to use the stick shift, I decided to let the woman play with it. She does it better.

When I first learned to use the stick shift, I decided to let the woman play with it. She does it better.

But haven't you been doing it longer? Seems likely that you should know how to handle it on your own - quicker response time. ;)

I think you shorted out my brain when you asked what it really is like to be deaf. What I hear is normal for me.:giggle: I've never known what normal hearing is. Do you?

Anyway given the type of deafness I have, it is difficult for me to make out words even though I can hear them.

When I speak to people, they think I must be able to hear as well as I speak. Nope. As for lipreading it's full of pitfalls and many wonder if I can lipread at all despite my attempts to educate them. Others think I'm an excellent lipreader. :dunno:

If there is one thing I could change about my deafness, I would want to sent to a school for the Deaf instead of being mainstreamed.

I don't expect most hearing to know ASL so I use various tactics to talk to them on an as needed basis.

As for those who look down on it as a disability, I won't comment on it if it's a person I just meet thought I will say differently to some people I know if they're at all reasonable. With the unreasonable types, I don't say anything at all unless I need to yell STFU!

Hey don't worry, I think you'll fit in fine around here. :) :wave:

You have a good point, I did not even consider what your perception of normal is. I'm sorry. I have a little trouble hearing myself, and though the tests came back 'normal' I ask what a lot and irritate people. It might be a problem with concentration but even when I am trying VERY hard to pay attention I miss things, and for the last several years have used subtitles. I guess normal is really subjective, isn't it?

Yeah - my brother taught me to drive sick shift using the tach or RPM gauge. After that, it was really easy.

Get yourself a Mustang, then you can feel the engine in your feet. Doesn't take long to get the feel of when to shift. High REV, Yeah Baby!!! :D

Get yourself a Mustang, then you can feel the engine in your feet. Doesn't take long to get the feel of when to shift. High REV, Yeah Baby!!! :D

Somehow, that's not the type of car for me. I'm too much of a "fuddy duddy". Now, I would love to have another truck. Sadly, I have my Mercury Sable, but will soon sell it and we are going to get the Expedition adapted with hand controls for me. I am beginning to lose my mobility and having problem with my legs and the pedals.

Somehow, that's not the type of car for me. I'm too much of a "fuddy duddy". Now, I would love to have another truck. Sadly, I have my Mercury Sable, but will soon sell it and we are going to get the Expedition adapted with hand controls for me. I am beginning to lose my mobility and having problem with my legs and the pedals.

You are probably right. I practically have to climb down to get into my car and getting back out... well, I feel my age sometimes.

Aren't cars supposed to be driving themselves by now???

Oh I want Mustang SO BAD.

I have a convertible Mustang... but if I was in your area of Canada, I think I can only drive it 2 or 3 days out of the year. Rear wheel drive is fun in the snow, not so much fun when you really want to go somewhere.

donuts anyone? :giggle:

Back