Miss Deaf Texas struck by train, killed

WOW, It so d Sad. I feel bad for her family and freinds, My heart goes out to the families of Tara's and friends of Tara's.

Yes, I heard that after when I reading on the forums. Because of that, I believe that she feel vibrating by her sidekick. I feel that was not suicide because of this!

Anyways, I need to tell on my first post:
:( I can't believe she have already got killed by the train!? It's wrong to die when young. But I knew in my heart, she went in better place. God bless her.
R.I.P. Miss Deaf Texas Tara. :( Also, I feel big sorry for her family/friend for her loss. :tears: God may rest her soul.

Last edited:
More info about train safety:

Gene Mirus, an instructor in the deaf studies department at Gallaudet University in Washington, said deaf people often have a false sense of security when walking along train tracks.

"It is easy for deaf people to walk on railroad tracks under the premise that vibrations would warn them of an oncoming train," Mirus wrote the Austin American-Statesman in an e-mail. "Contrary to what most people think, there are no vibrations on railroad tracks."

Based on factors ranging from the type of train to its weight to the kind of rail, a person wouldn't necessarily feel any vibrations from an approaching train, said Warren Flatau, spokesman for the Federal Railroad Administration, which is part of U.S. Department of Transportation and regulates the safety of the nation's railroad operations.

"A train can sneak up on you," he said.

A railroad spokesman said that the accident underscores the danger of walking anywhere near railroad tracks.

"It's not safe to be there," said Union Pacific spokesman Mark Davis.

Mirus said he is working on a national campaign to educate deaf people about the dangers of walking on railroad tracks.

http://www.thevictoriaadvocate.com/24hour/nation/story/3230289p-11968229c.html

Reba said:
More info about train safety:

Gene Mirus, an instructor in the deaf studies department at Gallaudet University in Washington, said deaf people often have a false sense of security when walking along train tracks.

"It is easy for deaf people to walk on railroad tracks under the premise that vibrations would warn them of an oncoming train," Mirus wrote the Austin American-Statesman in an e-mail. "Contrary to what most people think, there are no vibrations on railroad tracks."

Based on factors ranging from the type of train to its weight to the kind of rail, a person wouldn't necessarily feel any vibrations from an approaching train, said Warren Flatau, spokesman for the Federal Railroad Administration, which is part of U.S. Department of Transportation and regulates the safety of the nation's railroad operations.

"A train can sneak up on you," he said.

A railroad spokesman said that the accident underscores the danger of walking anywhere near railroad tracks.

"It's not safe to be there," said Union Pacific spokesman Mark Davis.

Mirus said he is working on a national campaign to educate deaf people about the dangers of walking on railroad tracks.

http://www.thevictoriaadvocate.com/24hour/nation/story/3230289p-11968229c.html

As I railroader I agree with this 100%!!! One engineer told me her snuck up on 3 hearing kids. They were on a 10MPH track so the train was not going fast. He blew the horn about 200 feet from them. They did not know the train was coming til he blew the horn. He said it was hillarious. But, that shows you that even hearing people can't hear a train coming, especially when they are not paying attention.

I think She is walk on the wood.. not metal rail...
that reason she not feel vibrate which train is coming.. then direct hit her...

If suppose she step on the metal rail , can be feel vibrate heavy loud... She might run fast as she can.

Two opnions ways... :dunno:

I read and saw the news. It's heart-breaking. :( The more I read the tragedy, the more I'm trying to find out what went wrong in this world. I hope her parents are okay. It's sad for them to lose a loved one. Rest her soul and God bless her families.

If ppl are making negative comments, just let them be. One of these days, they will regret what they have said. It can be a bad karma which will haunt them for many years.

I recalled someone was making fun of my deaf friend, a few yrs later, this same person ended up having a deaf child. She's sooo embarrassed, she walked around with her head down. It can happen to anyone.

jazzy said:
It was God's calling her to come home, it was her time to go home. Very sad for her family and friends.

I must disagree with your idea. If God needed some people like this deaf woman who got killed by a train while she was on the pager, many people would go crazy with lots of worries and don't want that happen to them. God would NOT want that. In the bible, it says not to worry about surroundings, clothes, food, etc and have FAITH in God. God had to do nothing to this deaf young woman. Tara, the deaf young woman, just happened to have this mistake for walking next to the railroad too close and using the pager. It was her mistake. It's shame. I am so sorry for this terrible situation. It's a human being's error. Not God.

Dino65 said:
did you post in the aol post exactly what you just typed here? I hope you did. Hearing and Deaf are same thing ..

No, I didn't because I don't feel very comfortable posting there. There were so many hearing people who said very mean comments about deaf people. It was so awful. The truth is that those hearing people who said very mean comments are very angry like to vent and they're evil inside of them.

Momoftwo said:
I must disagree with your idea. If God needed some people like this deaf woman who got killed by a train while she was on the pager, many people would go crazy with lots of worries and don't want that happen to them. God would NOT want that. In the bible, it says not to worry about surroundings, clothes, food, etc and have FAITH in God. God had to do nothing to this deaf young woman. Tara, the deaf young woman, just happened to have this mistake for walking next to the railroad too close and using the pager. It was her mistake. It's shame. I am so sorry for this terrible situation. It's a human being's error. Not God.

God know everything and know when we die. It was already in His plan she died that day whether she made error or not.

Who knows how many time God send His angels to save me from many close called death because it is not my time to die yet but with Tara, for some reason God wanted her to be home with Him.

Miss Deaf Texas

National Association of the Deaf (NAD).

The NAD was saddened to learn about the death of Miss Deaf Texas 2005-2007, Tara Rose McAvoy who was killed on Monday, March 13th in Austin, Texas. Tara was supposed to compete for the NAD Miss Deaf America crown at the 2006 NAD Conference this summer. She will be sorely missed.

“The NAD was shocked to learn of the loss of such a promising young deaf leader,” said NAD President Andrew J. Lange, “The NAD expresses its deepest sympathy to Tara’s family and community”

Jennifer Yost Ortiz, NAD Youth Programs Coordinator said, “Tara dedicated much of her heart to NAD Youth Programs. She was a member of Jr. NAD, a camper at NAD YLC, and interned for a few months for NAD Youth Programs during the fall of 2004. Tara was also an aspiring artist, she designed the cover of the October/November 2004 NADmag. I am so sad that we lost her. She truly lived a full life and she had an infectious smile.”

The first runner-up Miss Deaf Texas, Johanna Valenta of San Antonio will assume the role of Miss Deaf Texas 2006-2007. Johanna will continue to carry the Miss Deaf Texas crown during the 2006 NAD Conference, as Tara would have wanted. A tribute is being planned at the NAD Miss Deaf America Pageant during the final competition.

“Tara left behind a legacy that will always be remembered. She represented Texas with dignity and pride and that will never be forgotten. Tara will always hold a special place in our hearts,” said Laura Loeb Hill, Miss Deaf Texas State Pageant Director.

jazzy said:
God know everything and know when we die. It was already in His plan she died that day whether she made error or not.

Who knows how many time God send His angels to save me from many close called death because it is not my time to die yet but with Tara, for some reason God wanted her to be home with Him.

If God took Tara away way too young, He caused so many people very painful, cries, worries, etc. I think God would NOT want people to worry and God would NOT want people to be sad. God hopes for people to be more alert. Like God does NOT want people to get cancer, diseases, wars, fights, etc. God hates to see so many tragic accidents and end up killed, kill people, sick people, etc. God is very sad about this. God HOPES for people to find the cures, improve not to get killed by tragic accidents, get shots to prevent from getting diseases, etc. God wants to see this earth to improve and more healthy and more happy. That's why God wants HOPE and PEACE. God is waiting for this earth to be perfect one day but unfortunately, people made a lot of errors. Like people get cancer from smoking (that's their errors), etc. That's why I believe that it has to do nothing with God to take Tara home on purpose. I strongly believe that it just happened to Tara for her mistake. God does not use people to have accidents. God is very sad that Tara died because God would WANT Tara to stay on this earth much longer but unfortunately, Tara made a mistake for using the pager while walking way too close to the railroad. God feels very badly for Tara and her family.

Momoftwo said:
If God took Tara away way too young, He caused so many people very painful, cries, worries, etc. I think God would NOT want people to worry and God would NOT want people to be sad. God hopes for people to be more alert. Like God does NOT want people to get cancer, diseases, wars, fights, etc. God hates to see so many tragic accidents and end up killed, kill people, sick people, etc. God is very sad about this. God HOPES for people to find the cures, improve not to get killed by tragic accidents, get shots to prevent from getting diseases, etc. God wants to see this earth to improve and more healthy and more happy. That's why God wants HOPE and PEACE. God is waiting for this earth to be perfect one day but unfortunately, people made a lot of errors. Like people get cancer from smoking (that's their errors), etc. That's why I believe that it has to do nothing with God to take Tara home on purpose. I strongly believe that it just happened to Tara for her mistake. God does not use people to have accidents. God is very sad that Tara died because God would WANT Tara to stay on this earth much longer but unfortunately, Tara made a mistake for using the pager while walking way too close to the railroad. God feels very badly for Tara and her family.

Alike some one told me once, God looked away when Jesus Christ died on that cross. Yes it pained Him. Is it His will we all die or not? We have no choice on this part, we all going to die one day whether we are so young or old whether we get killed or succummbed to horrible disease or died peaceful. It was His world not ours. Now Tara is free and is in heaven which it is farther greater than here on earth. yes I feel bad for her family and friends so are other people who die yesterday, today and tomorrow. IHMO, Tara did not make mistake but a pure freaky accident which it can happens to any of us.

Momoftwo said:
Tara's death was a tragic loss but already we can see some good coming of it. Thru her accident, many more people have become aware of the dangers of walking near train tracks, and being distracted by pagers. All the publicity about her accident might save the lives of many other people.

I'm not saying that God "caused" her accident. I'm just saying that Tara's death can help other people avoid future tragedies.

Reba said:
Tara's death was a tragic loss but already we can see some good coming of it. Thru her accident, many more people have become aware of the dangers of walking near train tracks, and being distracted by pagers. All the publicity about her accident might save the lives of many other people.

I'm not saying that God "caused" her accident. I'm just saying that Tara's death can help other people avoid future tragedies.

Yes, Tara's terrible accident helped others to prevent from future accidents. Like people who died of lung cancer helped others to prevent from smoking. Tara and others educated people the lessons. My parents died from smoking and they taught a lot of people not to smoke. I know that God did not cause my parents to get cancer from smoking. It's my parents' free will - their choice by mistake - not God. It's not God's fault. It's my parents' faults.

I believe that God did not cause Tara to have this terrible accident. I believe that God did not take Tara to heaven on purpose. It's just happened. I believe that God would wish for Tara to live much longer on this earth but boom she died at so young age. Shame! So sad!

That awful to hear this news. my thought goes to her family .

But wonder why she walked on the rail at the first place?
Something seem not to be right .
:dunno:

this is so tiring thread I had ever read..

not many of you guys may have known her like I do, I had been T.S.D student for a whole 5 yrs Tara is very bright and vivid woman when I met her, I loved her dearly.. she'll never let anyone down with her beautiful smiles and a dimple.

I get tired of people calling or commenting abt her "stupidity" decision or whatsoever. but how can you say she is stupid when she's simply tried to make it over to her mom's workplace by cross the tracks whenever IF the trains had never usually showed up, maybe it was her habits to walk over as a shortcuts? how stupid can it be if its only accident? yeah - bad choice to walk on the railroads.

everything happens for a reason. life goes on and please say something "postivity" than pouring the negativity on here.. it just too dreadful evenn thru I'm still mourning on her death this week and its so much heartaches to deal with but I'm taking it pretty well.... but her smiles and happiness remains lives in our heart no matter. I'm defientely so sure Tara would want us to smile and be happy for her as well.

Have seen before.... yes it is :repost: again... it was from other section anyway.... but yes it was very sad tho

Missus_Philos0phyK said:
this is so tiring thread I had ever read..

not many of you guys may have known her like I do, I had been T.S.D student for a whole 5 yrs Tara is very bright and vivid woman when I met her, I loved her dearly.. she'll never let anyone down with her beautiful smiles and a dimple.

I get tired of people calling or commenting abt her "stupidity" decision or whatsoever. but how can you say she is stupid when she's simply tried to make it over to her mom's workplace by cross the tracks whenever IF the trains had never usually showed up, maybe it was her habits to walk over as a shortcuts? how stupid can it be if its only accident? yeah - bad choice to walk on the railroads.

everything happens for a reason. life goes on and please say something "postivity" than pouring the negativity on here.. it just too dreadful evenn thru I'm still mourning on her death this week and its so much heartaches to deal with but I'm taking it pretty well.... but her smiles and happiness remains lives in our heart no matter. I'm defientely so sure Tara would want us to smile and be happy for her as well.
It was a bad decision on her part to break the law and trespass on Railroad property. It was a tragic decision and a beautiful young woman is dead and a life wasted.

STAY AWAY FROM RAILROAD PROPERTY. Expect a train at ANY TIME, ANY DIRECTION, ANY TRACK! And with today's welded rail, you won't hear or feel anything until it is too late!

Back