Milk And Cancer

Kalista

Premium Member
Reaction score
Investigating a possible cancer connection? A new study says women who drink a certain amount of milk are more suseptable to the disease. The Swedish researchers say high amounts of dairy in a woman's diet may raise her risk for ovarian cancer. 7Healthcast reporter Janet Wu has more on this study.

Mom always said drink your milk - it's good for you. But now a new study shows - it may raise your cancer risk.

Dr. Ursula Matulonis, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
"This is not a proven theory...but that one of the breakdown products in milk may be toxic to the outside part of the ovary."

Swedish researchers found that women who drink two or more glasses of milk a day - may have a higher risk for ovarian cancer. Over 60,000 women were questioned on their dairy intake. Those who had at least four servings of dairy each day - had double the risk for the disease.

Dr. Ursula Matulonis, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
"There have been a few showing a weak link to serous ovarian cancer and milk. I think this study doesn't add too much. it's another population study where data is retrospectively looked at over a six month time period."

It's still unclear why extra dairy may raise ovarian rates. one theory says it could be lactose - a sugar found in dairy products which over stimulates the hormone increase ovarian cancer risk. :-o

The picture is far from clear.

Research has linked milk with ovarian and other cancers - but - other studies show skim or low-fat milk - might actually help lower your risk.

All this doesn't mean you should give up dairy. Keep in mind, only 266 women - out of the 60,000 developed ovarian cancer. The overall risk is still very small.

But Dr. Matulonis says that milk is important because of its calcium and protein. Until there are more definitive studies - moderation is key.

I don't think that the source is from the milk. I think it's more from the antibiotics and hormones given to cows that passes down to their milk for us to drink. That said, go organic or go for soy milk ;) . I haven't tried soy milk, but they said chocolate one is good. Different brands have different taste. I have only tasted one brand which wasn't good. Or go for Calcium supplements instead.

I buy milk directly from the farm that has its cows grass-fed in the pasture. The cows there are happier than being confined. They are not given antibiotic or hormones. I go to other farm to buy beef from cows that were also grass-fed so that I would get healthy meat with high level of Omega 3. I'm trying my best to eat healthy food to help improve and stay healthy. I don't buy very many processed foods like canned, packaged or frozen prepared foods. I make meals out of scratch like fresh veggies, fruits, healthy poultry, meat, organic foods. I don't use much grains or eat much sugar. I use organic honey, celtic salt, etc.

Peachy Lady said:
I buy milk directly from the farm that has its cows grass-fed in the pasture. The cows there are happier than being confined. They are not given antibiotic or hormones. I go to other farm to buy beef from cows that were also grass-fed so that I would get healthy meat with high level of Omega 3. I'm trying my best to eat healthy food to help improve and stay healthy. I don't buy very many processed foods like canned, packaged or frozen prepared foods. I make meals out of scratch like fresh veggies, fruits, healthy poultry, meat, organic foods. I don't use much grains or eat much sugar. I use organic honey, celtic salt, etc.
Mmmm....
I bet your meals taste yummier too! :)
Can I come to your house for dinner?

I am hoping to be as organic as I can in the future when I make my own groceries. Problem is, it's hard to buy organic in my household. It's also a bit expensive for my mother.

It reminds me of my mother who told me about the milks delivered to homes in those glass bottles! How cute! :). The glass were taken back when empty for recycling. Some things of the past were definitely better than it is today. People become desperate to overproduce for people who want conveniency. It's also about money.

TiaraPrincess said:
It reminds me of my mother who told me about the milks delivered to homes in those glass bottles! How cute! :). The glass were taken back when empty for recycling.
Yes, I remember we used to get our milk and other dairy products delivered by "the milk man". I think he came by about three times a week. We had an insulated metal box on the porch. He took the empty bottles, and left new full bottles. He also delivered butter, cream, and eggs.

In kindergarten, we kids had daily snack time. Graham crackers and milk. The milk was in individual little glass bottles with paper pull-tabs. All whole milk, full fat. :)

Yes, I remember we used to get our milk and other dairy products delivered by "the milk man". I think he came by about three times a week. We had an insulated metal box on the porch. He took the empty bottles, and left new full bottles. He also delivered butter, cream, and eggs.

In kindergarten, we kids had daily snack time. Graham crackers and milk. The milk was in individual little glass bottles with paper pull-tabs. All whole milk, full fat.

Sounds like a lovely time......*dreaming*:)

TiaraPrincess said:
I don't think that the source is from the milk. I think it's more from the antibiotics and hormones given to cows that passes down to their milk for us to drink. That said, go organic or go for soy milk ;) . I haven't tried soy milk, but they said chocolate one is good. Different brands have different taste. I have only tasted one brand which wasn't good. Or go for Calcium supplements instead.
I concur. You are right about that. I drink the raw cow milk that certificated by California's Organic Act Law (which is more stricter than national level on Organic issue).

Peachy Lady said:
Wow, I always thought that I am only one deafie who is on this kind of diet in AD community but it appears that I am wrong about that... Glad that I am not alone in that case :D!

I bought the raw milk from Organic Pastures (their site: http://www.organicpastures.com) at few markets like Whole Food Market or Clark's. I shared the same belief as you do about not being confined. Organic Pastures does not believe in confinement. I am thinking of work at some organic milk farm for one or two years in San Francisco bay so I can write a story about it and publish it. That's one best part about San Francisco, these people are so open-minded about health issues.

Whoever interests in milk and its history, I strongly suggest anyone to buy and read this book: The Untold Story of Milk by Ron Schmid, N.D. The book contains the dirty politics about pasteurization or growth hormones-laced milks. it is unbelievable... Ron Schmid is a long-time farmer and support the raw and organic milk. In that book, there is facts & information about dangers of pasteurization, rBGH, ultrapasteurization, slops, etc.. It is highly recommended for anyone who is health-conscious to buy and read.

Back in 1900's and still now, some big milk companies feed the slops included dead animal parts for cows to eat. The researchers suspect that how and when mad cow started because cows' stomachs are not designed to digest these filthy carcasses. It also explained why Europe and other countries refused to accept America's conventional foods as trade. There are many horrible facts about America and its milk history but fascinating to read.

Anyway, about Sabrina's news, it is more likely that it was pasteurization, rBGH and antibiotics' faults. In history, raw and organic milk hasn't cause any kind of diseases, that's why anti-raw milk politicans tried so hard to find a evidence to illegalize it but they couldn't and never will.

There are few old civilization which lives on raw milk and meats for many years, they lived longer than many people in other countries (up to 120 years old or older) That said all. I have the information, I can post if anyone is interesting.

He he he, my mother bought a book and learned a little about the things I wanted to do with becoming a healthy eater. She now understands that what I was talking about isn't garbage talk. My :jaw: just drops when she mentions everything I have been telling her about healthy choices. I can't convience her until she reads for herself, so hopefully we'll adjust overtime to healthy food. It makes me feel like telling her, "But mom! I have been telling you just that!" It's almost as if she doesn't recall what I have said. Oh well...

I just tried SILK chocolate soymilk, it wasn't bad. It's not something that I can't tolerate. It kind of tastes like when you eat ice cream fudge with no cream.

I hate American liars!! Capitalism isn't the best thing in the world. When you lie to people to get money, you only do harm to the public and your own self. Things don't get better, the dirty laundry airs out eventually. So sad....

Also, talking about Calcium, it also helps regulate PMS. When you take it daily for about 3 months to reach its max. benefit about 1,000 mg a day or 1,200 mg for older over 51. Soymilk or calcium supplements are best, but you notice how they don't care to mention this in the articles? So sad...

I drink soymilk, and I mix it with soy chocolate protein, which does make it taste chocolatey, like an iced chocolate. I only drink soy milk these days, and soy actually helps to prevent cancer. It depends on the brand of soy milk you get, and unfortunately, they don't seem to make soy powdered milk, so it's a bit expensive, but worth it I think in the long run because of it's low fat and high soy content. Oh, and if you need to save the soy milk, try mixing it with a bit of water since it is pretty much water, and it still tastes good.

wow :aw:

I'm milk lover! I cant live without milk and drink it daily.

Back