Military Relationships

Here's another perspective

My father spent 20 years in the Army and we stayed in TX most of the time. It seemed like he spent ten years working at the base hospital in San Antonio. Just before he retired, we were able to go to Germany as a family and lived there for three years.

The downside was the constant moving. I was in fifth grade before I spent more than one year at a school. It was almost impossible to make and keep friends. I remmy getting into a huge fight during fourth grade because of all the stuff that I kept inside.

When I was in the Navy, I heard about several marriages falling apart. Sailors could be gone for 4-6 months at a time, and Mom had to be both parents while he was gone. There was no Internet, cell phones, or video tapes back and forth to keep up with the family. One time my boat was out for a month without any mail from home. Talk about stress! If it's tough for the guys at sea, I couldn't imagine what it was like for the wives who had kids to take care of. This was during peacetime, so extended deployments and cruises were rare. Only aircraft carriers were gone for months on end.

Another factor to consider and talk about is money. This includes setting up a power of attorney and the fact that military types don't make big bucks. My father worked 80-90 hours a week for as long as I could remember to support a family of six. He'd work his shift at the hospital, come home, take a shower, eat, and then put in another ten hours as a handyman. It took a physical toll on him, but the entire family paid a price. It's as if I grew up without a father. I was grown and on my own before I was comfortable talking to him instead of being scared sh**less. It took grandkids and great-grandkids for him to see the joy of raising a family and not just the expenses and responsibility.

If James and Amanda want to stay together, it's going to take a lot of work AND trust. I wish them well and hope that he's comes back safe and sound - physically and mentally.

My wife is deaf and I am in the Army. It is a lot of stress and everything. She likes some of it. More long the lines of the benifits we get. But there are other areas we hate about it. We don't like the fact that I have to leave my family for couple weeks at a time for training. Having to be apart right now as they get their paperwork streighten out to bring her to Germany, lack of suppost on base for the deaf, and etc. All in all, she loves it, for the fact that we can get to see places that we might never get too. 1 perfect exsample is I am in Germany and we might never get a chance to go to Europe, and if we did, you couldn't cram the whole Europe in just a couple days.

My father in law retired from the Navy and he is still married to my mother in law after 20 years of servicing. My husband would tell me their stories about his dad being away for so long like 6 months sometimes. I asked him how did their marriage survive? He said by not being together all the time and getting on each other nerves! :giggle:

Was a joke but his parents really love each other so I guess it works for some people just like people who are not in the military.

my dad was drafted during the vietnam war after he and my mom got married was in army for 7 years mom didn't move with him around even stayed in ILL while dad move around but got the chance to see mom everytime he get break lucky after my sister was born my dad got discharged from the army now my mom and my dad now been married 43 years now

my grandpa was WW2 army vet during WW2 and my grandma and my grandpa were married 51 years before he died

my guess they work things out while they were in army

Hi Everyone-
Hi! My name is Alyssa (please dont called me a Christy). I am a deaf armywife to Samuel {Mod Edit: removed surname for (ID)protection} (username is ArmyMech1). I will always call him handsome smiley. We have been married for 5 years and almost a month. We have our two beautiful children. We used to live in El Paso, TX for 5 years. We hated El Paso, TX so much. My handsome smiley is in Germany right now. I am in Arizona since September of 2006. We are still working on ti to get me and my kids move up to Germany to be with my husband...

Please feel free to ask any questions...I would be glad to answer your questions..

Last edited by a moderator:
military relationships for me nahhh . I wouldnt want that it is hard to see each other and if on video long distance no thanks :)

I like spend around with the guy who are not Military or Navy cause I like to stay touch around the guy and the kids to spend around like go out to swimming, go karts, bowling, watch movie, etc etc etc in everyday love to spend time as family. :). I cant stand it if Military or Navy without around me and the kids to spend time :). It is hard to cuddles or hugs or kiss or talk or laugh etc etc. :)

My cousin did married to one of them but they ended up got divorced. Oh sad!!! He was a nice guy.

Vampy -- i dont think BOTH spouses would be deployed at the same location at the same time very often -- ive heard of stories where spouses would be deployed at opposite sides of the world!
You got that right! Hubby and I were both on active duty (Navy) when we met and married. It was great while we were stationed together. Then, we also had our daughter. After seven years of active duty, I was up for re-enlistment. I was going to be sent to GITMO, unaccompanied, for two years. Hubby had one more year left in Florida, then he would be going to sea again. What about our toddler daughter? No matter how we tried to figure things out, it wouldn't work. So, I didn't re-enlist. I joined the Reserves instead.

The military makes no guarantees about assignments. They will try to get you what you want but you really can't depend on that. When I first joined the Navy, I went to boot camp, and then my "A" school for advanced training. At the school, we filled out "dream" sheets; that is, where we wanted to be assigned. I had family on the East Coast, and on the West Coast, so those were my first and second choices. Where was I sent? Great Lakes, IL, smack in the middle of the country, not near either coast!

I am a disabled vet(Hearing Loss) retiring from the Air National Guard in Feb, spent 4 years Active Army, 5 Years Army National Guard and the rest Air National Guard. Military relationships are very challanging for both. One needs to be able to take care of the household while the other is away during long periods of time. When you haven't seen each other in 18 months, you both go through changes because of things going on at home or on the battlefield/tour of duty. It's hard for the rest of the world to comprehend the changes going on much like its hard for the hearing to comprehend what deaf people go through. For me it would have taken a special woman to marry into the military, I was unable to find such. Hopefully now that I am out this will change. For those couples who make it through thick and thin, they deserve the medal of honor in my opinion.

I almost dated one but things has changed. Maybe later down the road. Would def. date a military person!

My wife is deaf and I am in the Army. It is a lot of stress and everything. She likes some of it. More long the lines of the benifits we get. But there are other areas we hate about it. We don't like the fact that I have to leave my family for couple weeks at a time for training. Having to be apart right now as they get their paperwork streighten out to bring her to Germany, lack of suppost on base for the deaf, and etc. All in all, she loves it, for the fact that we can get to see places that we might never get too. 1 perfect exsample is I am in Germany and we might never get a chance to go to Europe, and if we did, you couldn't cram the whole Europe in just a couple days.

I lived in Stuttgart,Germany for five years. My hub worked for EUCOM's J-6.I loved every minute of it and my being deaf didn't stop me from doing what I wanted to.. even that my son was born there and his stroller sure went everywhere. I loved it. I miss Germany so bad. I cried and cried for a week when I had to leave Germany for good. Your wife should stay there and explore in some parts of Europe.

Even though military OWNS military servicemember- it takes a lot of sacrifices and endurances during deployments, going thru some rough patches every now and then. It takes two to work it out with complete trust,honor and unconditional love.

I lived in Stuttgart,Germany for five years. My hub worked for EUCOM's J-6.I loved every minute of it and my being deaf didn't stop me from doing what I wanted to.. even that my son was born there and his stroller sure went everywhere. I loved it. I miss Germany so bad. I cried and cried for a week when I had to leave Germany for good. Your wife should stay there and explore in some parts of Europe.
We starting to get around now. My wife likes it here but she is getting homesick cause she is shy and don't have a lot of friends here yet. We have some deaf friends here but they work during the day.

We starting to get around now. My wife likes it here but she is getting homesick cause she is shy and don't have a lot of friends here yet. We have some deaf friends here but they work during the day.
She's lucky to have deaf friends there for sure... Ya'll can get together for BBQ, Spring Festival (the best one for a group to socialize) and sight-seeing trips within an hour or two away from your base. I didn't meet any America deaf wife in Stuttgart but I did meet a former terp from California and her deaf foster son. We became instant friends and had a lot of fun together everywhere in Stuttgart-area... Yeah I understand why your wife's shy because everything is new to her and homesick feeling is very common especially during holidays. I remember complaining about being "stuck" in Germany for awhile especially raising my son alone while he was constantly on the trips for some conferences (TDS? TPS? I forgot..LOL). It was very hard for awhile but after I finally got drivers license, I'd just scoop my son up and go out a lot more...

I made out with an Air Force soldier in Fla..he was originally from Mass. He was definitely an excellent kisser. :giggle: I was a 17 year old naive gal. Oh, well.. I never forgot my first french kiss with a hearing guy.

wow :eek3: I didn't know that you lived in Stuttgart, Germany for 5 years. Stuttgart is not far from area where I live. It's shame that we didn't meet before you leave for USA. I would of meet you if you register here at years ago...

I am sorry how you feel like this but I hope you & your family will be back to Germany again some day...

Curious question, can you do with German sign language?

Yes you can...

Commercials about trips to Europe everywhere in Army casernes... Take time... :thumb:

wow :eek3: I didn't know that you lived in Stuttgart, Germany for 5 years. Stuttgart is not far from area where I live. It's shame that we didn't meet before you leave for USA. I would of meet you if you register here at years ago...

I am sorry how you feel like this but I hope you & your family will be back to Germany again some day...

Curious question, can you do with German sign language?

Oh way back then,T-Mobile's Internet was charged per minute so I didn't use it much except checking on e-mails... Yeah,too bad we didn't meet over there!
I learned at least 60% German SL since I met German terp at Frankfurt Galaxy game. She was from near Ramstein AF and we'd get together like once a month.

Oh way back then,T-Mobile's Internet was charged per minute so I didn't use it much except checking on e-mails... Yeah,too bad we didn't meet over there!
I learned at least 60% German SL since I met German terp at Frankfurt Galaxy game. She was from near Ramstein AF and we'd get together like once a month.

Don't you use DSL connection? DSL connection is everywhere here in Germany.

Back