Marijuana VS Alcohol debates

Marijuana may up heart attack, stroke risk

Chronic pot smoking linked to hardening of the arteries, study finds
O RLY? Funny...... the leading causes of obesity in USA are McDonalds food... 2 liters of soda a day... which leads to heart diseases... oh it forgot to mention that tobacco kills about 5 million per year. Keyword is "may." Marijuana MAY up heart attack...... as in it's inconclusive and unfound.

Depressed teens more likely to try pot

Report: Depression-marijuana combo can also increase chance of addiction
That is so oxymoronic. Depressed teens are also more likely to do cutting, snort cocaine, drink liquors, etc as well. How convenient of them to pick on marijuana.

I mean it could lead them addiction if they did immoderately... Yes, I aware that it's more than just drugs.

O RLY? Funny...... the leading causes of obesity in USA are McDonalds food... 2 liters of soda a day... which leads to heart diseases... oh it forgot to mention that tobacco kills about 5 million per year. Keyword is "may." Marijuana MAY up heart attack...... as in it's inconclusive and unfound.

That is so oxymoronic. Depressed teens are also more likely to do cutting, snort cocaine, drink liquors, etc as well. How convenient of them to pick on marijuana.

They aren't picking on anything, it's just a study... did you read the whole thing?

A U.S. group supporting legal sales and regulation of marijuana disputed the findings. Marijuana Policy Project spokesman Bruce Mirken said, for example, the study involved people who were extremely heavy users.

"I think the low end was 78 joints a week. That's 10 or 11 joints a day," Mirken said in a telephone interview.

"We're talking about people who are stoned all the time. We're talking about the marijuana equivalent of the guy in the alley clutching a bottle of cheap wine. If you do anything to that level of excess, it might well have some untoward effects, whether it's marijuana or wine or broccoli," Mirken added.

But Mirken said: "Even if you take this finding at face value, it's not at all clear that it has any relevance to the real world because there is still no data showing higher rates of mortality among marijuana smokers. If this was a significant cause of cardiovascular disease, where are the bodies?"

The drug control policy office analyzed about a dozen studies looking at marijuana use, including research by the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.

Overall, marijuana use among teens has decreased 25 percent since 2001, down to about 2.3 million kids who used pot at least once a month, the drug control office said.

Hm.

Someone mentioned losing their home because their husband was caught smoking pot. I am sorry for your loss, and mean no offense, but isolated and questionable cases are not a good indicator.

He more than likely lost the job ONLY because of legal regulations. As opposed to e.g. stealing to support his habit, being so stoned as to be a hazard or screw up the job, becoming hostile, missing work because of a crash or because he was out seeking drugs... I have known many smokers, some of them heavy smokers, and have not known or even heard of a single one that does these things. If someone has a problem with work, it is more than likely only from weed being illegal and demonized. People screw up using alcohol too, but they have to show up to work actually DRUNK... responsible use will not get you fired, unlike with some jobs where simply showing positive on a test is enough to cost you your job, regardless of whether it was used 'responsibly' or not... and frankly, I feel these laws are oppressive.

Well said.

updated 1:35 p.m. ET May 23, 2008
WASHINGTON - Depression, teens and marijuana are a dangerous mix that can lead to dependency, mental illness or suicidal thoughts, according to a White House report being released Friday.

A teen who has been depressed at some point in the past year is more than twice as likely to have used marijuana as teens who have not reported being depressed — 25 percent compared with 12 percent, said the report by the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy.

“Marijuana is a more consequential substance of abuse than our culture has treated it in the last 20 years,” said John Walters, director of the office. “This is not just youthful experimentation that they’ll get over as we used to think in the past.”

Smoking marijuana can lead to more serious problems, Walters said in an interview.

For example, using marijuana increases the risk of developing mental disorders by 40 percent, the report said. And teens who smoke pot at least once a month over a yearlong period are three times more likely to have suicidal thoughts than nonusers, it said.

The report also cited research that showed that teens who smoke marijuana when feeling depressed were more than twice as likely as their peers to abuse or become addicted to pot — 8 percent compared with 3 percent.

Experts who have worked with children say there’s nothing harmless about marijuana.

“I’ve seen many, many kids’ lives negatively impacted and taken off track because of marijuana,” said Elizabeth Stanley-Salazar, director of adolescent services for Phoenix House treatment centers in California. “It’s somewhat Russian roulette. There are so many factors, emotional, psychological, biological. You can’t predict the experimentation and how it will impact a kid.”

The drug control policy office analyzed about a dozen studies looking at marijuana use, including research by the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.

Overall, marijuana use among teens has decreased 25 percent since 2001, down to about 2.3 million kids who used pot at least once a month, the drug control office said.

While the drop is encouraging, Walters appealed to parents to recognize signs of possible drug use and depression.

“It’s not something you look the other way about when your teen starts appearing careless about their grooming, withdrawing from the family, losing interest in daily activities,” Walters said. “Find out what’s wrong.”

Depressed teens more likely to try pot - Kids and parenting - MSNBC.com

I'm sorry, Leibling, but this is just more of the White House's propoganda directed at the war on drugs. This study is extremely questionable, and is making assumptions that cannot be supported.

They are attempting to portray marijuana use as the cause of mental illness, and this is totally innacurate. It is an attempt to portray marijuana as the cause of teen age problems, and that is totally innacurate.

Carelessness about grooming, withdrawal from the family, loosing interest in daily activities are all cardinal signs of depression, and are consistent whether the depressed teen is using marijuana or not. The issue that needs to be address is the depression. If the signs of depression are ignored, then of course the teen will attempt, in some cases, to self medicate. They want relief from the dpression.

By the same token, a teen who is not depressed, and smokes marijuana, will not exhibit any of these symptoms. Quite obviously, it is not the marijuana that is responsible, but the mental state of the teen. Depressed teens will engage in all kinds of high rish behaviors...unprotected sex, hard drug use, abuse of prescription medications, alcohol use, driving recklessly and without regard for their life, etc,etc,etc.

In regard to depression and marijuana leading to addiciton: addiction has been shown to be a genetic predisposition. It is possible that the same genetic predisposition to addiction is also responsible for a predisposition to depression. That is what causes the addiciton. A genetic predispositon. Give someone with an addictive personality any mood altering substance, including prescription medications, and they run the risk of becoming addicted to that substance. They also run the risk of food addictions, sexual addictions, alcohol addictions, and addictions to risky forms of behavior. That is not the direct result of having smoked marijuana, but the direct result of their genetic make up and environmental influence.

Experienced both in the past and tell ya truth that I prefer to choose marj over alcohol due to few reasons. However, I don't smoke it anymore but do drink little less than seldom over the time.

One knows better that marj can cause lung cancer or any other side effects while it does the same thing about alcohol which could damage liver or such.

To weigh which one to choose is no-brainer that marj does better off than alcohol for the most people who chooses to do so mainly due to the public safety reasons. Like high better than buzz, definitely, too.

Alcohol kills on the road while marj doesn't, obviously.

Don't forget that the heavy drinkers involve in fightings and wife and husband beatings, etc. Marj users don't cause all that either. Big difference, indeed!

Also that if marj-hemp are legalized; it would produce much more money for the businesses than alcohol-selling would produce, otherwise.

Don't forget that it also saves lot of your tax money with the jail-prison bills by releasing marj users/dealers and such like that. Discussed in other thread.

To be blunt enough, if anyone hasn't experienced it, that person has no idea what he or she talks about - at the best. Everyone has vary opinions or experiences for sure.

Experienced both in the past and tell ya truth that I prefer to choose marj over alcohol due to few reasons. However, I don't smoke it anymore but do drink little less than seldom over the time.

One knows better that marj can cause lung cancer or any other side effects while it does the same thing about alcohol which could damage liver or such.

To weigh which one to choose is no-brainer that marj does better off than alcohol for the most people who chooses to do so mainly due to the public safety reasons. Like high better than buzz, definitely, too.

Don't forget that the heavy drinkers involve in fightings and wife and husband beatings, etc. Marj users don't cause all that either. Big difference, indeed!

Also that if marj-hemp are legalized; it would produce much more money for the businesses than alcohol-selling would produce, otherwise.

Don't forget that it also saves lot of your tax money with the jail-prison bills by releasing marj users/dealers and such like that. Discussed in other thread.

To be blunt enough, if anyone hasn't experienced it, that person has no idea what he or she talks about - at the best. Everyone has vary opinions or experiences for sure.

Agree with everything you said, except one point: marijuana has never been linked to lung cancer, or any form of cancer.

You got a good point. I only took one hit in 1995 and it was not a pleasant experience but that doesnt make me an "experienced" user so I really cant form an opinion about it. The only thing that I know is that weed is illegal and I wont do it due to that factor only.

You got a good point. I only took one hit in 1995 and it was not a pleasant experience but that doesnt make me an "experienced" user so I really cant form an opinion about it. The only thing that I know is that weed is illegal and I wont do it due to that factor only.

Unless you have a prescription for it like someone I know that does. :) :afro:

I think that is the overall best reason for not doing it... saves you from trouble with the law. But I think some of us feel that not every law 'needs' to be followed, if it is oppressive law with no good purpose... of course some people abuse the illegal nature to gain profit, but I see nothing wrong with someone growing a pot plant or two, and using it for themselves or sharing some with friends... not to make profit from it. I think this is why some areas specify a certain amount to be considered 'with intent to distribute'. If you are caught with only a joint, it could possibly be ignored, if you don't have any other offenses or violations. One should always be fully aware of the laws though, and the possibility of consequences for breaking them.

updated 1:35 p.m. ET May 23, 2008
WASHINGTON - Depression, teens and marijuana are a dangerous mix that can lead to dependency, mental illness or suicidal thoughts, according to a White House report being released Friday.

A teen who has been depressed at some point in the past year is more than twice as likely to have used marijuana as teens who have not reported being depressed — 25 percent compared with 12 percent, said the report by the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy.

“Marijuana is a more consequential substance of abuse than our culture has treated it in the last 20 years,” said John Walters, director of the office. “This is not just youthful experimentation that they’ll get over as we used to think in the past.”

Smoking marijuana can lead to more serious problems, Walters said in an interview.

For example, using marijuana increases the risk of developing mental disorders by 40 percent, the report said. And teens who smoke pot at least once a month over a yearlong period are three times more likely to have suicidal thoughts than nonusers, it said.

The report also cited research that showed that teens who smoke marijuana when feeling depressed were more than twice as likely as their peers to abuse or become addicted to pot — 8 percent compared with 3 percent.

Experts who have worked with children say there’s nothing harmless about marijuana.

“I’ve seen many, many kids’ lives negatively impacted and taken off track because of marijuana,” said Elizabeth Stanley-Salazar, director of adolescent services for Phoenix House treatment centers in California. “It’s somewhat Russian roulette. There are so many factors, emotional, psychological, biological. You can’t predict the experimentation and how it will impact a kid.”

While the drop is encouraging, Walters appealed to parents to recognize signs of possible drug use and depression.

“It’s not something you look the other way about when your teen starts appearing careless about their grooming, withdrawing from the family, losing interest in daily activities,” Walters said. “Find out what’s wrong.”

Depressed teens more likely to try pot - Kids and parenting - MSNBC.com

Well it depends on the teenager's situation. I start many of different drugs due to my depression, but the marijuana are not my first time to get stick with just for my depression. You might be surprised, it was the cigars that I start for depression as reason. The cigars make me dizzy when I inhale alot of it, but till I finally experience the pain in my stomach, I decide to transfer to the cigarettes, that is what make me became addicted to the cigarettes at my 14th age.

But somehow the marijuana does help my depression if I smoke it to get rid of my depression because it make my mind go slow which make me less worry or stress...

marijuana calm my ADHD,as long i have medical license for that. I'm all good
alcohol is bad for my adhd-make me hyper even worse.

medical license=legal.

So, I guess I deserve to go to jail because I drink socially and have kids?

You will not go to jail for drink alcohol in front of kids. They can't do anything about your business.

It depend on parents. They do abuse and neglect kids' attention. They can go to jail for intoxicated and abuse/neglect children. They suppose not drive while intoxicate in front of children. Or dad let children to drink at underage. You know I mean??

If you're home you can drink a wine for little to make you relax whatever you want. You will not get into trouble.

Marijuana = you will losing your job if you are arrest for illegal drug or order you to take drug test.

Alcohol = you will somewhere to have job, except for DUI or heavy drunker, however some heavy drunker are call in sick.

You choice...

Illegal drug is keep on war, it seems take long to end the war.

For me, I rather to consume alcohol so lightly due under 21 over marijuana because my workplace has strict penalty for illegal drug.

You will not go to jail for drink alcohol in front of kids. They can't do anything about your business.

It depend on parents. They do abuse and neglect kids' attention. They can go to jail for intoxicated and abuse/neglect children. They suppose not drive while intoxicate in front of children. Or dad let children to drink at underage. You know I mean??

If you're home you can drink a wine for little to make you relax whatever you want. You will not get into trouble.

I know ..I was being sarcastic.

:)

Marijuana = you will losing your job if you are arrest for illegal drug or order you to take drug test.

Alcohol = you will somewhere to have job, except for DUI or heavy drunker, however some heavy drunker are call in sick.

You choice...

Illegal drug is keep on war, it seems take long to end the war.

For me, I rather to consume alcohol so lightly due under 21 over marijuana because my workplace has strict penalty for illegal drug.

Unless you have a prescription for medical marijuana or the pill form--Marinol.

Back