Man buys toy poodles, discovers they’re actually ferrets on steroids

Steroids or no, if someone forks $150 for a ferret, then they are idiot. What happened about researching before making a purchase?

Sure, anyone would tell the difference between a ferret and a poodle.

Maybe the salesman took a few pointers from you, Derek!...:lol:

poodle-ferret-lg.jpg

An Argentinian man who thought he bought a pair of poodles at an outdoor market in Buenos Aires brought them home to the vet only to be told they were actually ferrets on steroids, reports the Daily Mail.

The man, a retiree from Catamarca, purchased the animals at La Salada, Argentina's largest bazaar.

The veterinarian informed him the ferrets "had been given steroids at birth to increase their size and then had some extra grooming to make their coats resemble a fluffy toy poodle," the paper says, translating a report from a local Argentinian TV station. He paid $150 per poodle.

Another woman interviewed by the station said she was tricked into thinking she had purchased a chihuahua at the same market.

It's unclear what the duped pet owners did with their faux poodles. But if you're thinking about buying a poodle at an Argentinian market, the Daily Mail has a handy guide on how to tell whether the pooch you're purchasing is actually a ferret:

• Ferrets typically have brown, white or mixed fur and are around 51 cm in length—which includes a 13 cm tail.
• They weigh around three pounds and have a lifespan of 7 to 10 years.
• When happy, ferrets may perform a routine known as the weasel war dance—which is characterized by a series of hops and frenzied attempts to bump into things.
• This is often accompanied by a soft clucking noise called dooking. When upset, ferrets make a hissing noise.
• Toy poodles are known for their intelligence and are around 25 cm tall and weigh around nine pounds.
• If a toy poodle exceeds 25 cm height, it cannot compete in any dog show as a toy poodle.
• Toy poodles have been known to live as long as 20 years.
• Toy poodles are described as sweet, cheerful, perky and lively, and they love to be around people.

Man buys toy poodles, discovers they

They also make those annoying high-pitched yips which I can't hear now (yay!) :)

why anyone want to do that,seem cruel...someone so stupid...it makes ugly poodle

:( not much surprised at what people do with or to other animals anymore
doesn't look like a Poodle to me at all....but I can somewhat see why maybe a retiree who had NO experience with either dogs or ferrets could...maybe...be confused about the two.

Reba, :wave::lol:

:( not much surprised at what people do with or to other animals anymore
doesn't look like a Poodle to me at all....but I can somewhat see why maybe a retiree who had NO experience with either dogs or ferrets could...maybe...be confused about the two.

Reba, :wave::lol:
Probably the same people who reply to the Dear One from Nigeria emails. :giggle:

It must be real cheap to give steroids and do grooming out there in South America. It would cost a lot more to do that here in USA. Which explains the cheap price of the ferret!!

Never seen a "fluffy ferret"...always thought they had smooth hair. And not much hair on their long tails....Guessing I need to visit the Pet Shop more often.....

i never go to pet shops, but pet supply shops yes for food, leash, beds, but nto actual animals.

I think pet shops should be banned

and about ferret on steroid thats animal abuse no doubt

:thumb: Grum
pets stores that sell puppies/dogs are stores that are getting them from puppy millers - regardless of whether the pet shop owner or staff says the dogs are from "area breeders" or not.
Don't support those places.

Reba:giggle:

And noticed too...the poodle's nose is black and the ferret's is "pink"....
Yeah, that's the first thing I noticed too.

Perhaps, the buyer had never seen ferrets before? :dunno:

There are people out there who are oblivious (not aware of what's going on around them) and fall for things like that... even if the clue hit them in their faces.

some dogs do have pink noses.
but I guess i'd classify the purchaser as "oblivious" too

And wouldn't the paws be different?
Yeah. The nose, face, body, paws, etc... all would be different.

They buyer probably never had his hands on a poodle (or any dog)... not knowing what to expect.

Back