Lucia Disturbed

Status
Not open for further replies.
"She was found one week later.....". Is that also part of your opinion?

Actually, if I understand correctly, that was stated in the OP. That she died a week earlier and her sister was notified a week later (give or take, I guess) when her body was found.

Does anyone know the cause of her death?...She was so young!

cause of death was suffocation. Long story short, her heating was broken in the apt and she was waiting for maintenance to fix it. To keep warm, she had turned on the burners on the gas stove. Unfortunately, the burners went out and she had fallen asleep. Since she was deaf and asleep, she was unable to hear anything. It's assumed she died in her sleep and her body was found a week later.

I'm sorry I didn't take the opportunity to really get to know her. I think she said she was from Milwaukee. It was nice to see an Alldeaf person from an

area relatively close to Illinois.

She grew up in Wisconsin, but had moved to Texas.

cause of death was suffocation. Long story short, her heating was broken in the apt and she was waiting for maintenance to fix it. To keep warm, she had turned on the burners on the gas stove. Unfortunately, the burners went out and she had fallen asleep. Since she was deaf and asleep, she was unable to hear anything. It's assumed she died in her sleep and her body was found a week later.
That's awful! :(

ugh... her death was completely preventable...

when will people ever learn that using stove or any fuel appliance is dangerous for heating with the risk of carbon monoxide?

it would be better if she left a hot shower running instead

when will people ever learn that using stove or any fuel appliance is dangerous for heating with the risk of carbon monoxide?

OB said the burners went out ... so that would mean asphyxiation

OB said the burners went out ... so that would mean asphyxiation

yes... carbon monoxide or gas

a heating source with fuel must be always well-ventilated. if your heater is broke... just keep a hot shower running

So very tragic...and it's odd that maintenance did not come to fix her heat until a week later?...Say what?...Maybe a lawsuit there...

As for gas stoves...I just don't trust 'em...

I think it is better to buy electric heater from Walmart or Target - I have one for emergency only, in case if heater is broken.

Her death WAS preventable, but lets not blame Lucia for her actions. She did the best she could and unfortunately, it cost her her life. Enough said.

Her death WAS preventable, but lets not blame Lucia for her actions. She did the best she could and unfortunately, it cost her her life. Enough said.

Yes, I agree.

Many people are unaware about dangerous things, so I don't blame on her. :(

So very tragic...and it's odd that maintenance did not come to fix her heat until a week later?...Say what?...Maybe a lawsuit there...

Maybe he did come but thinking when he was knocking the door or using the light signaler for her to come to the door to open. He would have fix it for her. But now we know that she did not hear anything in her place, not even the door knocking or light signaler. That is terrible. :(

I don't think that I want live in house with gas, without hearing people around because I couldn't hear if gas went hiss.

The gas gives a big save for heater but electric cost a lot of money.

nobody is blaming anybody. just putting it out there so that nobody else would die from it.

coincidentally, my friend recently told me about his cousin who died from carbon monoxide poisoning while napping in her car with engine running to stay warm at a service area a few years ago. very tragic.

Maybe he did come but thinking when he was knocking the door or using the light signaler for her to come to the door to open. He would have fix it for her. But now we know that she did not hear anything in her place, not even the door knocking or light signaler. That is terrible. :(

the maintenance guy does usually have access to an apartment if nobody is home. if not - he is usually accompanied by a landlord

I don't think that I want live in house with gas, without hearing people around because I couldn't hear if gas went hiss.

The gas gives a big save for heater but electric cost a lot of money.

That is true that electricity cost a lot of money but I am glad I have electric stove, not gas. I would not want to be in her situation if my gas burner went out. That is a lesson to be learned. :cool2:

EDIT: I do have a gas furance to heat. So I hope I don't die from it if the gas furnace burn out. :hmm:

Guessing it all depends upon the Complex....most here where I live in Jax...maintenance will knock...and if no answer, they have a key to enter...if they know you are Deaf...but if you have a Dog...they are reluctant to do so....Guessing she did not have a Hearing Dog?....

And fixing the heat was very important, as the cold weather!....So perhaps after several attempts, they still did not enter the apartment...but if they had, then I'm sure they would have smelled the gas fumes...and of course, Lucia, after a week of being deceased.....

Oh man...this is really horrible!...And if I were her family, I would hold the Complex responsible....she had to keep warm somehow...

Maintenance NEVER came. That's why she was using the stove to keep warm. Yes, a wrongful death suit could be considered. I hope it is, honestly. I'm quite angry about this because it didn't have to happen AT ALL.

That is true that electricity cost a lot of money but I am glad I have electric stove, not gas. I would not want to be in her situation if my gas burner went out. That is a lesson to be learned. :cool2:

EDIT: I do have a gas furance to heat. So I hope I don't die from it if the gas furnace burn out. :hmm:

I prefer electric stove as well.

I like gas for heating, that all.

I have gas furnace too for heating and water tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back