Lucia Disturbed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you mean negligent? Yes, I agree. Even if it was impossible to fix the heater right away he could have provided her with a portable electric heater, at the very least.

This is a heartbreaking situation. :(

Yes that is the word I want. The landlord could had her stay in another apartment that had heat. If there was none then pay for room in hotel for her. Or called Red Cross for. The landlord was very negligent and if was someone from my family I would be going after the landlord for this! Bullshit that this was not a crime! Lucia was deaf and the landlord should had done something for her . If should had been on the news to expose the slum landlord !

Yeah, I don't understand how that works. My shower stays hot for only about 30 minutes, and that's only in the bathroom. It doesn't warm the bedroom.
I have to wait till everyone goes out in my building to get a hot shower.
There is only one heater for 4 units and if I take a shower when some else decide to use the hot water I end up with warm or cold water.

I really believe that she had health problems and figured that she died from them but never would have dreamed of this. That's horrible! She didn't deserve that just because she couldn't afford better quality apts. I hope something good comes out of this.

I really believe that she had health problems and figured that she died from them but never would have dreamed of this. That's horrible! She didn't deserve that just because she couldn't afford better quality apts. I hope something good comes out of this.

That is why I feel this should had made the news , to made landlords accountable for their actions . That landlord should not had gotten away this. It too a week to find her body so that mean there was no heat in the apartment for 5-7 days! That is illegal .

Yeah, I don't understand how that works. My shower stays hot for only about 30 minutes, and that's only in the bathroom. It doesn't warm the bedroom.

Oh wow, in our house, hot water last more than hour.

The bathroom was next wall away from my room and it is difficult for hot water to release thorough 3 doors.

Electric heaters are great for emergencies.

That why I want end the inequality for deaf people and I believe that they should able to find a good job and have a better life. :(

It's unconscionable that her request wasn't responded to in over a week.

That landlord should get heavy fines, and also shouldn't be on a list that does low income housing.

That is why I feel this should had made the news , to made landlords accountable for their actions . That landlord should not had gotten away this. It too a week to find her body so that mean there was no heat in the apartment for 5-7 days! That is illegal .

I wonder if it did....(local news)?

That landlord should get heavy fines, and also shouldn't be on a list that does low income housing.

Agreed!

Keep in mind, most apartments I've lived in have double deadbolt locks and one is only accessed from inside. If landlord had tried to enter but that 2nd deadbolt was locked, they are not able to enter.

I don't know what law is regarding using window or etc to enter.

Anyways, I agree they should have fixed the heater right away but lets not jump to conclusion and assume things.

That's possible about the deadbolt or second lock from the inside- I've lived in some apartments that had that but more and more I'm seeing many change that and either remove the deadbolt or change it to one that requires a key.

I don't know Lucia at all but that saddens me that happened. Really wonder what the chain of events were- it sounds like she did call in (or went to office or email- my last apartment you could email a maintenance request), then left a note on the door. Why they never came is puzzling- I feel like there's more to the story.

At any rate- I don't blame Lucia- she couldn't have known- not many people would realize that a gas stove can do that- thinking it's in the kitchen and they're in the bedroom- far enough away. :(

My condolences to her family and friends and those of you who knew her...

Oh wow... just got back from vacation... sigh... RIP Lucia... too young to let this go....

:( :shock: OMG, that it happened, I'm also so shocked and very sad...

Oh mannnn, I HATE hearing news about death from something so preventable. It is waste in its purest form. :(

Wirelessly posted

So tragic. So sad :(

Keep in mind, most apartments I've lived in have double deadbolt locks and one is only accessed from inside. If landlord had tried to enter but that 2nd deadbolt was locked, they are not able to enter.

I don't know what law is regarding using window or etc to enter.

Anyways, I agree they should have fixed the heater right away but lets not jump to conclusion and assume things.

I never had a double deadbolt locks in any of my apartments , I am really surprise any landlord would allow that. Landlords needs to get into the apartment for emergency all the time. That mean the door would have to broken down or a break a window to get in.

Wow, that's pretty unexpected. :(

Rest in peace, LuciaDisturbed. Also, my condolences to her close friends and family.

It would be nice if she has her own lovely fireplace...

I need to clear up something.... From what I understand, Lucia made the request for maintenance to come and fix her heater the day she died. She came home, turned the burners on, and probably fell asleep. As I stated, maintenance never showed up. That's one screw up, and, you guys are right! Why didnt they respond? But, also why didn't SOMEONE respond after not hearing from Lucia for a couple days? Why didn't someone come a check on her. Her family lives out of state, but she had friends that lived close by. SOMEONE should have been more on the ball here. Someone should have smelled gas and reported a problem and NO ONE DID.

This apartment wasn't subsidized.

I wonder if it did....(local news)?

I checked It didn't as far as I can tell. I've been monitering both the local newspapers in San Antonio where she lived, and, in her home town of Milwaukee. Nothing. Not even a death notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back