Loosing Hearing

H4ppykiddo

Reaction score
hello, I'm Christy and I've been loosing my hearing since I was born due to several tubes and colesteotoma. Last month I came down with a terrible ear infection and cannot hear out of my left ear anymore. I had 50% hearing loss in both ears before this. I currently use hearing aids that I got a few years ago but I can't stand them. They amplify the little noises that I've never heard before so much! Fans blowing, feet shuffling, refrigeratior etc. and it drowns out voices so much that it hardly makes a difference if I wear them or not. I'm so afraid that my hearing won't come back once the infection is gone, and I don't know sign language at all :( I have state insurance so I don't think they will cover me to get my hearing aids adjusted or anything and I don't know where I can go to learn sign language or how I would even communicate with my family as they don't know it also. I'm pretty scared and not sure what to do.

hello, I'm Christy and I've been loosing my hearing since I was born due to several tubes and colesteotoma. Last month I came down with a terrible ear infection and cannot hear out of my left ear anymore. I had 50% hearing loss in both ears before this. I currently use hearing aids that I got a few years ago but I can't stand them. They amplify the little noises that I've never heard before so much! Fans blowing, feet shuffling, refrigeratior etc. and it drowns out voices so much that it hardly makes a difference if I wear them or not. I'm so afraid that my hearing won't come back once the infection is gone, and I don't know sign language at all :( I have state insurance so I don't think they will cover me to get my hearing aids adjusted or anything and I don't know where I can go to learn sign language or how I would even communicate with my family as they don't know it also. I'm pretty scared and not sure what to do.

Many of your problems you are having with your HA's can be adjusted out or minimized. Start keeping a journal or just write down all the things that bug you about your HA's and show it to whomever you end up seeing, it will help them make the necessary adjustments. Another option is adding a separate program for speech in noise where a lot of the background stuff that is bothering you is filtered out. If money is an issue call up and talk to the place you got your HA's from and see if they can work with you. If they can't or won't work with you talk to other audi's and see if they can help you.

live life with no wires attached girl!!
ditch the aids!

you can learn sign language, one sign at a time, with your family. every time you learn a sign use it in your home with them. its easy. just one sign a day, that's all in a month you have 30 signs, 2 you have 60, in three 90, but it will easily pick up the more you use it, just one sign at a time.
with your family.
sign is the superior technology. it never breaks, doesn't need batteries, or doctors, or anything. just needs you...
go for it.

rather then viewing going deaf as a loss, its far healthier to view it as what it is.
a Gain.
the invisible glass wall that deafness is can and IS breached by sign, the more sign you pick up, deafness as a lacking or a medical issue, a defect, a loss, fades before the gift of being Deaf

its a gift to be Deaf christy.
welcome to allDeaf.

live life with no wires attached girl!!
ditch the aids!

you can learn sign language, one sign at a time, with your family. every time you learn a sign use it in your home with them. its easy. just one sign a day, that's all in a month you have 30 signs, 2 you have 60, in three 90, but it will easily pick up the more you use it, just one sign at a time.
with your family.
sign is the superior technology. it never breaks, doesn't need batteries, or doctors, or anything. just needs you...
go for it.

rather then viewing going deaf as a loss, its far healthier to view it as what it is.
a Gain.
the invisible glass wall that deafness is can and IS breached by sign, the more sign you pick up, deafness as a lacking or a medical issue, a defect, a loss, fades before the gift of being Deaf

its a gift to be Deaf christy.
welcome to allDeaf.
Do you know of any resources where I can learn signs?

Besides the excellent sources Hoichi mentioned, there's also Handspeak at
http://www.handspeak.com/word/

American Sign Language University has a dictionary with in-depth explanations, videos, and tutorials at
http://www.lifeprint.com/dictionary.htm

While you learn to sign "Thank you," "Please," and "My name is . . ." look around for others who want to learn ASL. Good luck, Christy. :welcome:

Do you know of any resources where I can learn signs?
YouTube Bill Vicars he has lots of lessons.

I have state insurance and they are paying for me to get a cochlear implant and a new hearing aid so I would read up on everything your state covers. I lost my hearing late at 20 and completely in my right 2 years ago.

Growing up in was hoh, I did not have or use aides and was held at the whimes of my fluctuating hearing. Gripped so tight with fear of what if my hearing goes out at such and such time and when it was gone what if it does not come back. Yes, it is scary stuff. But then I started learning sign, and began learning more about what I can do regardless of what my ears do.
Awesome that you are looking into sign, never to late it start learning. :D Good luck on your path and hope you feel better soon.

Hi Christy. I can't speak to hearing loss but I do know that there are resources out there that can be helpful, online and in the community. A lot of the websites that I use have already been listed but I'm sure that there are more. Take advantage of them, AllDeaf being one of them. The more you talk to people and research, the more you'll find. Good luck and welcome :)

Back