Living the Deaf Life

Alex

Administrator
Staff Member
Reaction score
I still remember the first time I jumped in the school bus, only this time the bus were carrying deaf students, and there was this kid sitting on the front seat. His name was Clarence, and not only was he profoundly deaf, but he was my very first deaf friend ever.

Signing took effect everywhere in every class I went to. It was totally overwhelming to me because I didn't know how to do the ABC's in sign language. I was used to talking and reading lips, and I felt like an outcast. However, it wasn't long until I learned certain words, and within weeks, I was socializing with my new deaf friends. I thought it was so cool being a part of the deaf community. That's when I realized I best fit in the deaf world.

When I reached my teenage years, things changed and I was placed in a mainstreamed high school with a deaf program. Remember the first day of school, you would get all dressed up, you were tired from the lack of sleep the night before because you couldn't stop thinking who you'll ride on the bus with this year or who you'll bump into in high school, and felt the excitement in the air? Well, I do.

Anyway, that was also the first time I experienced discrimination from the hearing high school students. Every now and then I would hear someone mimic a deaf student and the laughter coming from other hearing students. Knowing I had the advantage of both hearing and deaf world, I felt it was my job to defend my deaf friends, so I'd go up to them and start arguments/fights. After a while, it became natural to me. Of course, I would get suspended for my actions, but I didn't care -- nobody is going to disrespect a deaf person because he/she can't hear or talk, or both.

After high school graduation, then came the college years, and, again, it was a whole new experience to me. All these beautiful chicks walking about in the hallways. Aow! I felt so much independent, you could do your homework anytime you want as long as you get it done before deadline. That's where responsibility came in. Everyone seemed friendly and open minded, there was no discrimination at all, at least I haven't seen any yet. But, that's when betrayal and backstabbing and rumors from deaf people came into place.

Surely, it's nothing new, and it's been that way for a long time, but I've never had serious problems with my deaf friends before. It was personal this time. Like, I would notice how there were two sides: the good and the bad, and you had to pick one. It's like WWE, all for the purpose of entertainment and drama. In the hearing world, nobody cares, nobody pays any attention to little conflicts or problems, they just move on with their lives. In the deaf world, everything gets personal, everyone knows you by reputation, even if they heard untrue stories about you. They judge you, you are labeled as "good" or "bad", and they tend to side up with another to feel powerful. How lame, how pathetic, and how childish is that!? I still managed to survive through all the unnecessary drama, and still love my deaf community. I figure it's the Deaf culture.

Working in the real world wasn't as challenging as I thought it'd be. Maybe it's because I have the advantage to hear and speak, unlike most deaf people. No offense, my friends. But not always would I pick up every word my manager would say, and when I asked them to please repeat, they would kindly do so. Talk about professionalism and respect. Since then, I wasn't involved in the deaf community as much as I wanted to. That's when I created DeafModels.com and AllDeaf.com I figure I'd want to do something positive for the Deaf.

Now, all the drama and backstabbing and betrayal has come back. There are two sides again; the bad and the good. I am loved and hated. It's funny, or rather pathetic, how people are different online than they are in real life. They have two personalities. It's like, in real life you're really this down to earth type of guy, whereas online you're an asshole. I'm not saying this applies to everyone, but you know who you are. Learn to treat others the way you would like to be treated, and being online shouldn't be any different. If you don't give a flying fuck or two, or if it makes you feel macho talking all this trash, then you're just pathetic. Plain and simple.

Living the Deaf life taught me a lot. I learned all aspects of the Deaf culture, whether they were good or bad. I learned the advantages of being deaf and the disadvantages. The Deaf culture is part of who I am, and I'm damn proud of it.

Originally posted by Alex
I still remember the first time I jumped in the school bus, only this time the bus were carrying deaf students, and there was this kid sitting on the front seat. His name was Clarence, and not only was he profoundly deaf, but he was my very first deaf friend ever.

Signing took effect everywhere in every class I went to. It was totally overwhelming to me because I didn't know how to do the ABC's in sign language. I was used to talking and reading lips, and I felt like an outcast. However, it wasn't long until I learned certain words, and within weeks, I was socializing with my new friends. I thought it was so cool being a part of the deaf community. That's when I realized I best fit in the deaf world.

When I reached my teenage years, things changed and I was placed in a mainstreamed high school with a deaf program. Remember the first day of school, you would get all dressed up, you were tired from the lack of sleep the night before because you couldn't stop thinking who you'll ride on the bus with this year or who you'll bump into in high school, and felt the excitement in the air? Well, I do.

Anyway, that was also the first time I experienced discrimination from the hearing high school students. Every now and then I would hear someone mimic a deaf student and the laughter coming from other hearing students. Knowing I had the advantage of both hearing and deaf world, I felt it was my job to defend my deaf friends, so I'd go up to them and start arguments/fights. After a while, it became natural to me. Of course, I would get suspended for my actions, but I didn't care -- nobody is going to disrespect a deaf person because he/she can't hear or talk, or both.

After high school graduation, then came the college years, and, again, it was a whole new experience to me. All these beautiful chicks walking about in the hallways. Aow! I felt so much independent, you could do your homework anytime you want as long as you get it done before deadline. That's where responsibility came in. Everyone seemed friendly and open minded, there was no discrimination at all, at least I haven't seen any yet. But, that's when betrayal and backstabbing and rumors from deaf people came into place.

Surely, it's nothing new, and it's been that way for a long time, but I've never had serious problems with my deaf friends before. It was personal this time. Like, I would notice how there were two sides: the good and the bad, and you had to pick one. It's like WWE, all for the purpose of entertainment and drama. In the hearing world, nobody cares, nobody pays any attention to little conflicts or problems, they just move on with their lives. In the deaf world, everything gets personal, everyone knows you by reputation, even if they heard untrue stories about you. They judge you, you are labeled as "good" or "bad", and they tend to side up with another to feel powerful. How lame, how pathetic, and how childish is that!? I still managed to survive through all the unnecessary drama, and still love my deaf community. I figure it's the Deaf culture.

Working in the real world wasn't as challenging as I thought it'd be. Maybe it's because I have the advantage to hear and speak, unlike most deaf people. No offense, my friends. But not always would I pick up every word my manager would say, and when I asked them to please repeat, they would kindly do so. Talk about professionalism and respect. Since then, I wasn't involved in the deaf community as much as I wanted to. That's when I created DeafModels.com and AllDeaf.com I figure I'd want to do something positive for the Deaf.

Now, all the drama and backstabbing and betrayal has come back. There are two sides again; the bad and the good. I am loved and hated. It's funny, or rather pathetic, how people are different online than they are in real life. They have two personalities. It's like, in real life you're really this down to earth type of guy, whereas online you're an asshole. I'm not saying this applies to everyone, but you know who you are. Learn to treat others the way you would like to be treated, and being online shouldn't be any different. If you don't give a flying fuck or two, or if it makes you feel macho talking all this trash, then you're just pathetic. Plain and simple.

Living the Deaf life taught me a lot. I learned all aspects of the Deaf culture, whether they were good or bad. I learned the advantages of being deaf and the disadvantages. The Deaf culture is part of who I am, and I'm damn proud of it.

*whistles* wow ..... good post u got there - heh

Wow, beautiful speech! :bowdown: Did you say all these when you present yourself to an audience about your entire life, eh? If it was me, I will! Bravo for you to stand up in what you believe and support! :thumb: I'm proud to be deaf too!

Bravo, Alex!

I like your well-done speech about your bridge to the both worlds: deaf and hearing.

Speaking of rumors in Deaf World, I believe there more much worse than Hollywood's rumors and gossips. I know that there are some people I don't know them would talk about me behind my back anytime.

Thanks all. I didn't present that speech anywhere except here. Just wanted to speak my mind about what the Deaf life is in my own eyes.

By the way, here's a picture of me and Clarence, my very first deaf friend ever and former best friend.

me_cw.jpg

Hey, Alex... when you have a chance to speak to an audience about your life, GRAB IT! I'm sure they'll fall for it. :D

Alex, what a nice speech you had. By the way, is it me or you mentioned "former best friend" with clarence. If it's true, how did that happen? Am I missing something? that's ok if you dont have to tell me.. :cool:

Way to go, Alex! That was a powerful, stirring speech! You ought to be a public speaker!

Wow... very moving! I liked that. I know exactly how you feel. I went through the same thing too.

Once again, thank you all for the positive feedback! :mrgreen:

DefMATRIXense: Betrayal. I lost his trust. We're still friends nowadays, though.

Back