Laser Eye

SherryCherish

Reaction score
I like to know if anyone did Laser eye? Or their opinion?

I aware myself and most deafness do not want Laser eye, cuz it can lose their sight in future since we already lost our hearing.

But, I read most laser eyes of risk, said it can be possibly, but unusually. So wonder if anyone would take laser eye? If you guys get tired of wearing glasses or eye contacts?

I do wear glasses and eye contacts in summer only ( i know i'm :crazy: but only the reason, i can't take the bright sun or snow, i rather to wear sunglasses)

I do have very senstive to bright reaction. It keep me teary and hardly to open my eyes. I'm curious people's opinion here.

I have know one deaf dude who took laser eyes and it turn out he doing fine.

I have a few friends here at RIT/NTID who had that. They're doing just fine. I almost didn't even notice them walking around without glasses. Heh!

My brother-in-law is hearing, and he wore his glasses for 30 years. He had an eye laser surgery last year. His vision is normal, and never wears his glasses. I understand that it can be scary.

I have a better idea - you could write down the doctor's name when you ask people about their eye laser surgery, and especially ask them whether their surgery is successful or not. You could figure which doctor that most people go for the surgery. That would be your firsthand research.

cool.. well i'm concern with deafness.. Wonder if they or you concerns about sight loss after laser eyes?

I had laser surgery on both my eyes, and I'm doing fine. :)

I know a couple Deaf people who had laser surgery on their eyes, and they are also doing fine.

Please make sure that you find the top doctor who does laser in your area. If he/she is in another state you could travel to for best doctor-then go if you can. Go to the one that's mostly well-known and thriving well by people you met. Do not take coupons or discounted laser places. Go away if you don't feel comfortable with the laser doctor. Also, if you have heard by word of mouth of this great doctor by a few people, then that might be the best person for you.

I was thinking about getting one myself but I am too chicken to do it so. I am having trouble reading small print and farsighted.

i just not been thinking about it but sometime get tired of wear glasses with bright lights. I will give it more thoughts myself. My father had laser eye, and it work on him. I'm not used to have him w/o glasses for those years lol. Thanks for comments here.

My brother in law had his done already, and he was wearing glasses almost all his life, He said the result felt different than wearing glasses more freedom. He always wanted a normal eyesight, after looking at him he looks different but good. I believe he got his done two years ago or so. No problems or conflicts after the surgery.

Lasik eye surgery may be more risky than you think

You need someone to argue against LASIK, so I will do it. I wouldn't quite approve the idea of Lasik eye surgery. While it does remarkable things for people, I believe it has serious flaws. I have read some history of how the optometry school got started and there are some things that are just "explained away" but not necessarily correct. For example, the assumption that eyesight cannot be reversed and that presbyopia is inevitable after turning 40 years old is a widely held belief in traditional optometry. This has its roots with a great German scientist and opthalamologist known as Hermann von Helmholtz (1821-1894). He attributed the mechanism of accommodation (the eye's ability to focus at different distances) primarily to the action of the ciliary muscle on the lens. There were flaws in his research but the flaws were overlooked and taught as a "fact" in the schools for optometry.

Traditional optometry still accepts Helmholtz's theory without questioning it. As a result, most eye doctors think vision cannot be reversed.

An optometrist named William H. Bates (1860-1931), founder of adrenaline, did what no other scientist did, he started from stratch to examine years of Helmholtz's work. He tried for years to prove Helmholtz CORRECT but failed and in doing so discovered where Helmholtz had erred. But since Helmholtz's theory had been widely accepted and taught in the school of optometrists it was hard to change traditional beliefs.

Since that time, the theory of accommodation has gone widely undisputed. This misleads students of optometry into thinking that the last word about problems of refraction has been spoken.

Bates also helped thousands of people regain normal vision and even the board of physicians witnessed this but as a result he was expelled from the prestigious Columbia University where he taught other optometrists and did his own research. The school of optometry feared that Bates' discovery that had also disproven Helmholtz's theory would cause insurmountable loss in profit. So they made sure Bates' discovery would not be taught in schools or to the public. They wanted people to rely on glasses.

Where does Bates differ from tradition beliefs on accommodation? He believed that accommodation had to do mostly with the six external eye muscles, which tighten or loosen (like a belt), resulting in changes in the eye's shape. I can understand this because when I am ill I feel more stressed and cannot see as well. But he said that by relaxing the eye muscles, vision could be returned to normal or better than 20/20.

After learning all this, I realized that LASIK eye surgery was not a safe procedure at all. What many people may not realize is that headaches often begin from the eyes. I made this discovery after I had been experiencing headaches nearly everyday after work, because my job required extensive use of the eyes. So as I walked around at work and everywhere I went I used my eyes differently as Bates had recommended and have not had a single headache in over half a year. My eyes started to relax more and I noticed that things began to clear up a little every day. This convinced me Bates had hit on something of great importance, because such a thing would be declared impossible by traditional doctors.

If LASIK eye surgery is taken, it only repairs accommodation from the lens. But if Bates is correct and it's the extrinstic eye muscles causing vision to decline, then the muscles are still tense and even if you have perfect vision with LASIK, you'll still get headaches and other eye diseases due to the chronic stress. And no matter what, your vision will continue to decline as you age. If you tried to relax the eye muscles after having LASIK performed, the muscles will relax but the vision will blur.

That leaves an alternative called natural vision improvement. It's better to try it before you even consider having eye surgery anyway. Unfortunately, many eye improvement sites on the Internet are commercialized and go by the wrong concept that what the eyes need are exercise. I mean, why exercise muscles that are already tense when they need to relax by using correct eye habits? Exercise may improve eyesight temporarily but it'll later revert to where it was before.

Many websites out there also come to the incorrect conclusion that the Bates Method is about eye exercises. It's about good eye habits that are used 24/7.

Anyway, I'm deaf like many of you are. We rely exclusively on our eyes, and one of my old deaf teachers is becoming blind. Soon he'll be like Helen Keller. I do not want this to happen to me. You understand.

There is a book I suggest to anyone who wants to try a safer, more natural approach before attempting any kind of eye surgery. This book is very well-written and in my opinion, seems more clear than medical textbooks I have read pertaining to the subject of eye anatomy and functions. It's called "Relearning to See--Improve your Eyesight--Naturally!" by Thomas R. Quackenbush. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/15...f=pd_bbs_1/102-5639632-3744165?_encoding=UTF8

LASIK may be for some people but it is not for me and I have explained here why for your own benefit as well. If you have any questions, you may ask me.

Oh, I remember something like that. My grandmother used to exercise her eyes. She never had a reading glass all of her life. Her eyes were strong. My uncle is doing the same thing.

I was driving on the highway and cannot see the sign until closer so I could see it clearly. I better do my eye exercises! (I forgot all about that.)

For the exercise: just concentrate to look an object for about 10 seconds, then find another object for another 10 seconds. Just like looking at any object that you make your eye to adjust focusing on them. That makes your eye muscles strong. Do it everyday for 10 minutes.

(Note: never excercise your eyes to look at the computer monitor or TV which is not good for your eyes.)

My friend had laser surgery on his eyes at 2 years. He is happy with it with no complication after wear glass all his life. Remember that eye laser is not cheap.

Pomeranian said:
I was thinking about getting one myself but I am too chicken to do it so. I am having trouble reading small print and farsighted.
:lol: too I am chick!!! I never trying laser my eye. It still old fashion glasses LOL!

I'll stick to glasses for now, for tv, and driving, and reading blackboard in class, that it.

I alway want eyes laser because glasses are so suck. I cannot afford eyes laser but someday maybe I can.

Back