Just your thoughts and opinion on things.

I have seen plenty of average kids get scholarships. They may not be gifted but they do excel in certain areas.

it's pretty much depends on what scholarship programs you applied to

students coming from poor or shitty schools would be "shocked" as well. students on scholarships would be "shocked" too.

Right on.

To make a generalisation about "homeschooled" children experiencing culture shock while in college/university in my opinion is inappropriate.

I homeschool mainly due to the fact that my son (being advanced) was being held back from all that he could do. When he tried to get into the gifted program, he got bored on the test and gave up due to boredom and missed getting in. That was in the 2nd grade and he tested at a grade 5 level. He is now 13 and went to a local school to be tested and while he logically (by the local school district) should be in the 7th grade, he tested out of their scale. He tested better than the high schoolers in the district. He is doing a combination of grade 7-12 and some college level classes and doesn't feel stressed. He is extremely socially active with church and programs at the local library.
My daughter has learning problems due to an oxygen cut-off at birth. She was a humongo baby (12 1/2 pounds and 24 1/2 inches at birth). She has memory retention problems and speech & language delays due to poor muscle function in her face and neck. We do daily excercises that came from the speech therapist. She is 14 and does a combination of 3rd grade to 7th grade. We do constant review. While in public school, they held her back in preschool for 3 years, then 3 years in kindergarten. That's when I said enough!! She is home and does her best and while I don't agree homeschooling is for everyone, it has been a blessing for me. When we move to MS, then son will go to public school at his request for high school and daughter will stay at home and try to get her GED as per the doctor and therapist suggestions.

bullying is everywhere... in any age. If one does not know how to confront the bullying... then that's gonna be a problem. Sending kids to private schools is not at all more sheltering than those who go to public school.
My private school, and a lot of my friends who went to private school, practically lived in a bubble. The vast majority of students were of the same background--race, political standing, religion, etc. I'm not basing this off the stereotypes of private schools so much as my personal experience. As for bullying, I think private schools are generally better at handling bullying for the simple reason they usually have fewer kids to worth with. For example, when I was in high school, when some boys were making rape jokes, I went to tell my principal. He talked to them. When I visited several public schools (I was interested in seeing the differences) I saw such things happening without teachers batting an eye. This isn't to say standards are lower, but when you have more students per classroom, and a larger diversity of students, you have to be even pickier about choosing your battles. While the private school teacher could afford to fight the rape joke battle in his/her classroom of 12, the public school teacher had to focus on another battle in his/her classroom of 35.
Those kids who have such arrogant elitist attitudes are the one with parents who have same attitude - regardless of type of schools.
I agree and disagree to a certain extent. I think it really depends on the child in this case. Some kids are living breathing reflections of their parents, others aren't. My parents have an elitist attitude and I have consciously decided to throw that away. Just like some kids that are raised Catholic will want to raise their own kids as Catholic, whereas other Catholic-raised kids will reject Catholicism and raise their kids their own way.
He exhibited no such elitist attitude nor arrogance. He is very humble and very kind... exactly like his parents and his brother.
I agree that there are definitely humble people from private-school backgrounds, but in my experience, this is more the exception than the rule.
you know what they say - the children are the mirror of their parents.
I think that is sometimes true, and sometimes the case is just the opposite.

I homeschool mainly due to the fact that my son (being advanced) was being held back from all that he could do. When he tried to get into the gifted program, he got bored on the test and gave up due to boredom and missed getting in. That was in the 2nd grade and he tested at a grade 5 level. He is now 13 and went to a local school to be tested and while he logically (by the local school district) should be in the 7th grade, he tested out of their scale. He tested better than the high schoolers in the district. He is doing a combination of grade 7-12 and some college level classes and doesn't feel stressed. He is extremely socially active with church and programs at the local library.
My daughter has learning problems due to an oxygen cut-off at birth. She was a humongo baby (12 1/2 pounds and 24 1/2 inches at birth). She has memory retention problems and speech & language delays due to poor muscle function in her face and neck. We do daily excercises that came from the speech therapist. She is 14 and does a combination of 3rd grade to 7th grade. We do constant review. While in public school, they held her back in preschool for 3 years, then 3 years in kindergarten. That's when I said enough!! She is home and does her best and while I don't agree homeschooling is for everyone, it has been a blessing for me. When we move to MS, then son will go to public school at his request for high school and daughter will stay at home and try to get her GED as per the doctor and therapist suggestions.

Kudos to you!

Now this is why I strongly advocate homeschooling. It is not about mollycoddling children or their feelings & protecting them from bullies.

It is for their education, period.

students coming from poor or shitty schools would be "shocked" as well. students on scholarships would be "shocked" too.

On the quote that you have responded to has nothing to do with scholarships. I was basing that comment on home schooling only. :).

Such as the kids not knowing how to mingle with others in college with the issues that can become a shock to them.

Just curious. What powers does the Secretary of DOT have?

Just trying the get the chain of commands in order here. :)

from DOT site - "Serve the United States by ensuring a fast, safe, efficient, accessible and convenient transportation system that meets our vital national interests and enhances the quality of life of the American people, today and into the future."

Secretary of DOT - "Leadership of the DOT is provided by the Secretary of Transportation, who is the principal adviser to the President in all matters relating to federal transportation programs. The Secretary is assisted by the Deputy Secretary in this role. The Office of the Secretary (OST) oversees the formulation of national transportation policy and promotes intermodal transportation. Other responsibilities range from negotiation and implementation of international transportation agreements, assuring the fitness of US airlines, enforcing airline consumer protection regulations, issuance of regulations to prevent alcohol and illegal drug misuse in transportation systems and preparing transportation legislation."

DOT Chain of Command

DOT Organization (organizations below falls under Secretary of DOT)
Federal Aviation Administration
Federal Highway Administration
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
Federal Railroad Administration
Federal Transit Administration
Maritime Administration
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration
Research and Innovative Technology Administration
Saint Lawrence Seaway Development Corporation
Surface Transportation Board

Such as the kids not knowing how to mingle with others in college with the issues that can become a shock to them.

May I ask why you base your assumptions about homeschooling solely on the social behaviours of children?

Children evolve as they grow and they mature as well. I just can't help but notice your assumptions are based only on the social implications which is quite false.

Kudos to you!

Now this is why I strongly advocate homeschooling. It is not about mollycoddling children or their feelings & protecting them from bullies.

It is for their education, period.

Bullying gets in the way of education though. And students that are way ahead of the game or way behind are often the most bullied.

How can a student focus on his/her studies when s/he is worried about the next time s/he's going to be beat up by another kid or verbally abused by a teacher? My parents always told me to just "focus on my studies." Focusing on my studies wasn't that easy when I was getting sucker-punched and abused by kids and teachers alike day to day. So I think for kids that are targeted as "weird" in the playground, home schooling can be a good option so they can focus on their studies.

On the quote that you have responded to has nothing to do with scholarships. I was basing that comment on home schooling only. :).

it's a common misconception that homeschooled students do not socialize nor participate in any public matter. A lot of them participate in sports, extracurricular activities, Boy/Girl Scout, community service, etc.

For those who lack social skill.... chance is they don't bother going to college or would ever think about it because they don't see any point in going to college nor understand what college has to offer. That's because of their parents isolating them from the world... so why would the parents send them to college?

Yes, bullying can get in the way of education and bullying can either make or shape you for who you are.

I was bullied and it taught me empathy. I grew up being bullied and of course, I never appreciated it. Now looking back at it, it's so easy for children to nitpick other children that do not look normal to them.

I am able to draw from my experiences and help other people by using empathy. You either make or break from your experiences is my motto.

Does anyone ever see a rude child as just a rude person that happens to be a child? In the same way we see a rude adult as a rude person that happens to be an adult?

Oh yea, they're called bratty kids. There is one across the street from me. Sometimes she's nice. Sometimes she gets extremely rude. I've seen her fight with her mom few times. She's only 7! When she was here once, my daughter started feeling real bad.....so I limit visits. Better in group situations outside. More fun without dealing with the unpleasantness.

Guess I should also add that I have a VERY strict homeschool schedule. We school year round. They get time off for holidays and things like that, but all in all, we average about 320 days of school a year. We do school on weekends as well. That includes church and bible study. I even make them do reports on what they learned at church. If we take a day trip out of town (from St. Louis area to Columbia) then the books come along as well as the pencils and lap desks. I'm mean, but I expect them to keep at it. Son has already done a recreation of the Westward Expansion that includes the Louisana Purchase. Daughter has done an extensive report (500 pages) on all of the US Presidents.

I was bullied and it taught me empathy.

Same here. Although bullying can also teach people bitterness. Think of how often the cycle of abuse is continued and how seldom it is broken. I personally have managed to break out of a cycle of abuse, but many people don't have the willpower to. And we have little control over people that decide to continue the cycle. We can only help those that want to help themselves.

Bullying gets in the way of education though. And students that are way ahead of the game or way behind are often the most bullied.

How can a student focus on his/her studies when s/he is worried about the next time s/he's going to be beat up by another kid or verbally abused by a teacher? My parents always told me to just "focus on my studies." Focusing on my studies wasn't that easy when I was getting sucker-punched and abused by kids and teachers alike day to day. So I think for kids that are targeted as "weird" in the playground, home schooling can be a good option so they can focus on their studies.

if they were being constantly bullied - then something's wrong with the picture. Either you gotta transfer your kid to different school or homeschool them.... or you are just not actively involved enough in your kid's life to take some action.

Nowadays.... since we live in a litigious society... the bully and his/her parents would be legally held responsible and they can be sued. Most likely scenario - the bully get expelled. It's easier to do that nowadays than before in our youth.

Guess I should also add that I have a VERY strict homeschool schedule. We school year round. They get time off for holidays and things like that, but all in all, we average about 320 days of school a year. We do school on weekends as well. That includes church and bible study. I even make them do reports on what they learned at church. If we take a day trip out of town (from St. Louis area to Columbia) then the books come along as well as the pencils and lap desks. I'm mean, but I expect them to keep at it. Son has already done a recreation of the Westward Expansion that includes the Louisana Purchase. Daughter has done an extensive report (500 pages) on all of the US Presidents.

:lol: Are you sure you're not my mom? :lol:

from DOT site - "Serve the United States by ensuring a fast, safe, efficient, accessible and convenient transportation system that meets our vital national interests and enhances the quality of life of the American people, today and into the future."

Secretary of DOT - "Leadership of the DOT is provided by the Secretary of Transportation, who is the principal adviser to the President in all matters relating to federal transportation programs. The Secretary is assisted by the Deputy Secretary in this role. The Office of the Secretary (OST) oversees the formulation of national transportation policy and promotes intermodal transportation. Other responsibilities range from negotiation and implementation of international transportation agreements, assuring the fitness of US airlines, enforcing airline consumer protection regulations, issuance of regulations to prevent alcohol and illegal drug misuse in transportation systems and preparing transportation legislation."

DOT Chain of Command

DOT Organization (organizations below falls under Secretary of DOT)
Federal Aviation Administration
Federal Highway Administration
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
Federal Railroad Administration
Federal Transit Administration
Maritime Administration
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration
Research and Innovative Technology Administration
Saint Lawrence Seaway Development Corporation
Surface Transportation Board

:shock:

Thanks!

Wow that is intense. I could never deal with 320 days of school a year.

Same here. Although bullying can also teach people bitterness. Think of how often the cycle of abuse is continued and how seldom it is broken. I personally have managed to break out of a cycle of abuse, but many people don't have the willpower to. And we have little control over people that decide to continue the cycle. We can only help those that want to help themselves.

We can't control how people talk to us but we can control our response to them.

This I have learned especially when it comes to bullying. Unfortunately some people become very bitter about their experiences.

Back