Just your thoughts and opinion on things.

Sorry if I was being unclear. What I meant is that it's generally only straight A students or students that excel athletically or students that are exceptional in some way or another that are offered scholarships. I don't mean the "average" kids don't get accepted in terms of the school they attend, but "average" in terms of their grades and scores and achievements, etc.

I think the whole concept of one child being better than another is ridiculous anyway. Some students function better in the school system than others and that is why they get A's. So I don't mean to place a value judgment on your children. I'm saying the students that succeed within the system are the ones offered opportunities by the system.

I wonder.... How are home schooled children offered scholarships?

this is true. not to brag, but i was also in the gifted program at a public high school. i was given a college scholarship

You proved my point. That's what I'm saying is it's the gifted kids that get scholarships. But if you're seeing as average then you don't get scholarship offers.

I have seen plenty of average kids get scholarships. They may not be gifted but they do excel in certain areas.

probably last years summer items they are trying to get rid of to make room for the upcoming summer items.

Ohhh..last year's items are SO LAST YEAR!!! SO outdated! That's SO horrible! J/K :lol:

I have seen plenty of average kids get scholarships. They may not be gifted but they do excel in certain areas.

That is what I'm trying to say. They get the scholarship because they excel in one area or another.

You proved my point. That's what I'm saying is it's the gifted kids that get scholarships. But if you're seeing as average then you don't get scholarship offers.

i respectfully disagree. there were several students in the learning disabilities program in my high school who received college scholarships for community service, character and showing a particular interest in a certain area. if you look at scholarships online, you'll see that they are available to anyone regardless of intelligence or financial means.

That is what I'm trying to say. They get the scholarship because they excel in one area or another.

not necessarily. some scholarships are based on community service, character or showing a particular interest in a certain area (such as art).

sorry if i sound like a broken record. i don't mean to. <laugh>

Community service is excelling in another area. What about kids who don't have time to get 200 hours of community service in by sophomore year?

Community service is excelling in another area. What about kids who don't have time to get 200 hours of community service in by sophomore year?

then those are the kids who either receive a scholarship based on character, interest in a certain area or even extra-curricular activities.

as for average children getting scholarships, it does happen. as long as a child displays the motivation and self-discipline to learn (even though their grades do not consist of a's and b's), they can still receive scholarships.

having said that, if a child does not want to learn, i don't think they're worthly of receiving a scholarship. scholarships should be reserved for those (gifted or average children) who demonstrate some level of interest in education and/or extra-curricular activities.

I am glad to know that every one is special and unique, because their thoughts and opinions on things are different from one another. That's good sign to me, so every one can learn it from one another. Disagree to agree or agree to disagree, of course. :lol: That's what makes a person soo unique and special. :P

Extra-curricular activities usually involves being exceptional in that area too, whether it's art or sports or whatever.

I agree that kids should only get scholarships if they're hardworking. But there are plenty of well off kids that are lazy and get those same opportunities. That is the discrepancy I have a hard time with. Lazy kids are getting the same opportunities as hardworking ones just because their parents can afford it.

I feel homeschooling ,is to shelter this kids from what is really going on out in the world. Another words. " Overprotective parents."

that is the most common negative view of homeschooling. But here's a positive one - some parents feel the schools are severely lacking in every fields which put a huge hamper on their "gifted" kids so they end up homeschooling them. I wish the majority of homeschooled kids are like this but in most cases - it's because of 2 ridiculous reasons - the parents don't believe in so-called conformity and/or they believe schools and people are "evil... corrupted... etc"

Homeschoolin' is more safer than " government " school.

I don't know about other parents that choose home schooling but I know that I wouldn't be choosing home schooling for either of those reasons. I think there are a lot of problems with the education system, but I don't think it's evil or corrupted. A lot of the school system is well intentioned but poorly executed or well intentioned but based on misconceptions about what staff and students really need. For example, a lot of time is wasted in a classroom trying to maintain discipline. Students aren't learning anything during this time. While I understand aiming for 100% learning is ridiculous, I think it can be much more closely approximated in a home environment. At the same time my kids will have more free time to do things they enjoy, and they won't have to be shoved into the box of the school system. For example so many students "fail" because they are poor test takers or have social anxiety or whatever else, and those factors don't come into play for a home schooled kid.

I think it would be unfair to home school one's kid's because of being anti-conformity. It's not fair for parents to force their own values on their children in a way that affects their life so much.

I love debating. <smile>

I can see why you feel that way. At the same time I don't think any child should be exposed to the amount of bullying and abuse in school that some are. I also don't think it is fair to let one's child be a bully or to let teachers get away with abuse or anything.

Since I can't change the world, my only other option is to home school my child. I think there are some serious flaws with the education system, but unfortuantely I can't change the public education system.

I think sending kids to a private school can be even more sheltering. I have seen people come out of private schools being highly intolerant of "average" people, average usually defined as non-elite. (I went to a private school and a lot of the people had an elitist attitude inherited from their parents, and planned on having babies and raising them as the next generation of elite. Not my cup of tea.)

I want to adopt children with "disabilities", with mental illness, children coming from abusive situations, etc. In other words, the kids that get targeted the most on the playground. So those are the main reasons I plan on home schooling my children is to keep them from experiencing the cruelty of kids raised to be "normal."

bullying is everywhere... in any age. If one does not know how to confront the bullying... then that's gonna be a problem. Sending kids to private schools is not at all more sheltering than those who go to public school. I do understand the common misconception that any kids who go to private school come out as elitists who look down on people.

Those kids who have such arrogant elitist attitudes are the one with parents who have same attitude - regardless of type of schools. My good friend attended private high school that JFK & George Tenet (Former CIA Director) graduated from... and attended private university.... and now attending private medical school. He exhibited no such elitist attitude nor arrogance. He is very humble and very kind... exactly like his parents and his brother.

you know what they say - the children are the mirror of their parents.

I agree that kids should only get scholarships if they're hardworking. But there are plenty of well off kids that are lazy and get those same opportunities. That is the discrepancy I have a hard time with. Lazy kids are getting the same opportunities as hardworking ones just because their parents can afford it.

a child doesn't have to be exceptional at an extra-curricular activity to participate in it. i knew some students who were on the staff of my high school newspaper who weren't great at writing, so they chose other areas to focus on (such as photography) instead.

as for your second point, i agree, but at the same time, average children shouldn't be given a free ride just because they are average or limited financially. that is being just as hypocritical as doing the same thing for gifted children or those who are well-off monetarily.

and all of that stops when the kids leave the nest?

and what about future educations. College? Would it be a shock to them?

students coming from poor or shitty schools would be "shocked" as well. students on scholarships would be "shocked" too.

Back