Jury Duty

KristinaB

Emotional Mess
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can't believe this. For 13 years in Missouri I was never ever called for jury duty and here I'm back in Florida and within 7 months I called up.

My question is this. I haven't called them yet, but obviously I can't hear (being total deaf) and I haven't learned ASL so an interpreter won't help, how are they going to have me sit for jury duty?

I can't believe this. For 13 years in Missouri I was never ever called for jury duty and here I'm back in Florida and within 7 months I called up.

My question is this. I haven't called them yet, but obviously I can't hear (being total deaf) and I haven't learned ASL so an interpreter won't help, how are they going to have me sit for jury duty?

You will probably be excused.

I kind of hope so. I know that my MIL has a doctor's appointment that week and I am the driver.

Ur totally deaf and don't know ASL?...Ur husband deaf also?...How do you communicate?

I just lost my hearing 3 years ago. It was progressivly getting worse over the years since birth. Hubby is full hearing. Kids have mild (daughter) and moderate (son) loss. Mother and MIL are both total hearing.

Hubby and I talk and I read lips up to a point. I am learning ASL little by little and start a class on Jan 26th and the family has learned a little with me. He's very good about asking me to "start my coffee please" and "how was your day?"

Other than that, one of the kids, son usually, will write down what hubby says if I don't understand. When it's private time, hubby knows not to expect me to answer.:laugh2:

you will most likely get excused...i am hoping i don't ever get called i always have the worse luck with ppl i cant understand with gov't and law type stuff lol

I have always wondered upon how do people get called for jury duty. I am 36 yrs old and *knocks on wood* never been called for jury duty. I always wondered if the reason is that I never had a drivers license.

WAIT...before you all flood me with posts read below
And before you all ask. I never really needed one since I live on Long Island NY and the bus system is pretty good for me to get where I need to go. I am getting driving lessons soon, so that will change shortly.

The only way to know for sure is to contact the court clerk. Each court is different, so there's no way to know until you contact them.

I have been excused from jury duty due to I was 8 and half months pregnant back then. Never been call for it again.

Just go to the court house and show them your paper that they sent you explain it and usually a judge will sign and grant an excuse for legitimate reasons.

Over here in England if you're deaf you're automatically excused from jury service

Update!!

Called them using my P3.

I have to have a doctor's note explaing my deafness to be excused from jury duty. I don't have a local doctor since I have no insurance yet. They will not accept the papers from my hearing tests that Social Security sent me for. I have contacted a local place through my Deaf Service Center that does audiograms to have a new test done just for the courthouse. If they can't do it, I will contact a local Beltone office since that was where, in Missouri, I had my last hearing aids and all.

Will let you know what I find out. Thanks everyone for your help.

In Texas the fact that you home school your children would be enough......at least in my county. The send out a form here with a list of reasons why you can be excused. You just mail it back in. You can also apply to be taken out of the system so that you don't have to do it again.

In Texas the fact that you home school your children would be enough......at least in my county. The send out a form here with a list of reasons why you can be excused. You just mail it back in. You can also apply to be taken out of the system so that you don't have to do it again.

I have the form in front of me with the list of exclusions. Homew schooling is not on there. Only if you are a parent of a child under the age of 6.

age 70 or older, responsible for the care of a person medically or mentally incapacitated and not able to care for himeself/herself, Expectant motherm Parent not working full time with custody of a child under 6, full time law enforcement officer or law enforcement investigative personnel, or if you/ve been summoned and reported for jury service in the last year in same county.

I can also be excused if I am not a legal resident (am), not a US citizen (am), convicted of a felony and civil right have not been restored (not), currently under criminal prosecution (not).

Therefore, I had to call and explain my problem.

Hope they'll be understanding and excuse you.

I was once called for jury duty but once I ticked off on the 'deaf' box, I was then automatically excused and will never be on their list.

Read a funny article on AOL that a cat named Sal Eposito has been called for Jury Duty. Owner explained the situation despite him being a cat, the commissioner said she must bring him in. :lol:

bahahah what are they gonna do? Get the cat to sniff out the defendant and see if he's guilty :P lol ppl make me laugh... And hope you get out of jury duty! :)

Got an email back from the audiologist center through our Deaf Service Center. She is familiar with what I need (gets these requests monthly) and will do my hearing test this week and fax everything to the courthouse and I will be excused. They work with the courthouse daily. I will also get a comprehensive test done and they want me to bring everything I have and will keep up with me as long as I need it. They know I am total deaf and know that I will not be getting HA's, CI's or anything. There is no charge for this service. Yay!!!

Over here in England if you're deaf you're automatically excused from jury service

interesting I personally would not want to be excused unless it is gory stuff, I hate the idea of disminsg due to being deaf, ok my sign sucks majorly but still.

Ask yourself, do we The Deaf people Need to be excused from Jury duty just because we are Deaf? This is like creating an advertisement to Hearing world that we can NOT do anything. Perhaps that is why discrimination is so common. Perhaps that is why many Deafies couldn't find jobs.

To be honest, this is diguesting to me hearing Deaf people trying to find ways to get away from civil duties just because they are Deaf, what a LAME excuse!

Mind you, how hard is it to sit and listen the case? When the trial is over, go down to meeting room to discuss whether the defendant is guilty or not and vote em then go back to court. After this is done, go home. How hard is it?

Back