I've decided to finally learn to drive

I done hit Deer, damn it they survived. I wish I had shotgun with me so I can kill it and have a wonderful feast.

With damages? Oh yeah and it was nothing really.

:lol: Jiro? The little man syndrome feller? I'd flick him like a toothpick.

You dont get it...If I need to buy a magazine or something small, Ill wait til next day. I have worked 3rd shift for a while before. Maybe you need to stop wearin your raccoon hat so tight. :laugh2:

Lemme know when you hit a deer and shit yourself. :laugh2: Not all drivers apply brake, they swerve to miss which is worse.

... Not all drivers apply brake, they swerve to miss which is worse.
That's right. Never swerve for an animal in the road. It's better to brake.

I've seen lots of deer, some crossing the road. I've also seen on the road wild hogs, turkeys, Canada geese, ducks, possums, raccoons, turtles, foxes, snakes, vultures picking at road kill, squirrels, cats, and dogs. Those were all just a few miles around my home. They are road hazards.

The worst time was when we were driving all night long to get to Connecticut from South Carolina. We were in Pennsylvania, and the deer were everywhere! Herds of them, both sides of the road, large and small. It was night time, 65 mph on the interstate, dodging deer. I was sooo tense! Then, when we got to Connecticut, on a two-lane residential street, we saw a large dying buck lying in the road. It was awful!

I haven't yet hit an animal with my car but I've read about and heard about people who did. It can be deadly.

the most nastiest experience I had was a few months ago when I was on road trip with my motorcycle. I was on highway and apparently, a few vehicles in front of me ran over a deer. A very large SUV in front of me ran over a torso - a good chunk of meat and I slowly "swerved" because I had enough space and time between us to react but unfortunately...... I was littered with ground beef..... I had to pull over to clean myself up

:ugh:

It can be done to just your own satisfaction, to know YOU CAN DO IT.

Fuzzy

I like this very much, Fuzzy. It's a big thing for me that I've even gotten to this point where I am becoming more brave to even consider driving.

I've seen lots of deer, some crossing the road. I've also seen on the road wild hogs, turkeys, Canada geese, ducks, possums, raccoons, turtles, foxes, snakes, vultures picking at road kill, squirrels, cats, and dogs. Those were all just a few miles around my home. They are road hazards.

I wonder if the instinct to swerve is stronger than to brake. I remember reading about a guy who became paralyzed after hitting a tree to avoid an animal on the road. VERY scary.

It depends.

If you are startled, your first instinct may be to brake, but if you see in advance say, a poor pathetic trembling squirrel right in front of your approaching car and you know you are going to turn it into a roadkill,

your brain also shifts into over drive at the same exact time and you start thinking - me in the wheelchair for the rest of my life or her, me or her
and what if for instance you have your baby with you in the back seat -
will it be a baby or the squirrel, hmm?

You simply CAN NOT risk your health/life or/and somebody else because of an animal.
as cruel as it can sounds, is also as true. I hate it, but I must accept it.

And Mimsy - I think I have an inkling what you have in mind when you say it takes you all you've got to even start with the DL.

I was SO SCARED to even try to sit behind the wheel, to put the car into park/neutral/drive,
see how it feels, - without even turning the key on! but I did, finally.

I was so terribly scared of driving, even my friends admitted they never met anybody as pathetic as me, lol
I only did it b/c at one point in my life I HAD TO have a car as I became a mother.
I was in my 30-ties then. I hated driving for 10 first years.
I am okay with it now, lololol

Good luck kiddo! If I did it, you most certainly will, too!

Fuzzy

Ah, ok, I understand now where you were coming from.

Question, though:

I know there's a vision test to get a permit/license, reading a letter chart. Without my contact lenses, I see very poorly. Would I have to pass without contacts? I've heard of people having to take off their glasses to do the test, but that never made sense to me. If I have to read the chart without my vision aids, I'll not pass for sure.
It's probably just to see how well you see with or without glasses. They will probably ask you to wear glasses when having your picture taken to verify that you wear glasses. That's what cops usually check for when looking at your license.

If you don't mind my asking, how old are you? Just wondering since you're starting to drive. I'm assuming you're in your 20s since you mentioned "doctorate".

All this talk about hitting a deer made me want to share this story. My daughter was on her way home from school, in my new car. She stopped at a four way stop, with a cop on the other side. A deer ran across the lanes going in the other direction, jumpped over the bushes and hit my car and died. My daughter was so upset but the cop told her that the deer looked like he had a death wish. $4200 to get my car fixed.

It depends.

If you are startled, your first instinct may be to brake, but if you see in advance say, a poor pathetic trembling squirrel right in front of your approaching car and you know you are going to turn it into a roadkill,

your brain also shifts into over drive at the same exact time and you start thinking - me in the wheelchair for the rest of my life or her, me or her
and what if for instance you have your baby with you in the back seat -
will it be a baby or the squirrel, hmm?

You simply CAN NOT risk your health/life or/and somebody else because of an animal.
as cruel as it can sounds, is also as true. I hate it, but I must accept it....
Right. Also, with some animals, such as squirrels, you might swerve in the direction you think will avoid collision, only to have the critter change its direction, too. Then you end up hitting it anyway.

Wait and see, you need see him in real face.

I don't have raccoon hat. :lol:

Not me, you will get hit by deer because you are imagining too much about deer. That will HAPPEN to you.

True, thinkin too much about deer is not a good idea. :lol:

The worst time was when we were driving all night long to get to Connecticut from South Carolina. We were in Pennsylvania, and the deer were everywhere! Herds of them, both sides of the road, large and small. It was night time, 65 mph on the interstate, dodging deer. I was sooo tense! Then, when we got to Connecticut, on a two-lane residential street, we saw a large dying buck lying in the road. It was awful!

I haven't yet hit an animal with my car but I've read about and heard about people who did. It can be deadly.

Yes, swerve to miss is not a good idea even the car is in front of you..happened not too far... the female driver was textin..she swerved to avoid hittin the car in front of her and hit the on-comin vehicle head on and killed her passenger instantly.. a guy from my hometown lost his life b/c he swerved to miss something in pickup truck on a rural road not too long ago.

Next county is really bad...deer walkin and standin on side of road at night..3 poachers killed a lot of them b/c of that and got caught. :lol:

the most nastiest experience I had was a few months ago when I was on road trip with my motorcycle. I was on highway and apparently, a few vehicles in front of me ran over a deer. A very large SUV in front of me ran over a torso - a good chunk of meat and I slowly "swerved" because I had enough space and time between us to react but unfortunately...... I was littered with ground beef..... I had to pull over to clean myself up

:ugh:

Sucked to be you! :P

You're lucky you didnt hit the deer...3 yrs ago, a guy lost his life b/c he hit the deer with his motorcycle on November saturday afternoon. He had no chance, he died instantly at the scene. Couple of yrs ago, another guy lost his life b/c he was show-boatin his sports motorcycle and was speedin..truck pulled out from gas station and BAM!!! smh...both accidents happened not too far. I still see motorcycles after sunset and night on rural roads. :shock:

I like this very much, Fuzzy. It's a big thing for me that I've even gotten to this point where I am becoming more brave to even consider driving.

I wonder if the instinct to swerve is stronger than to brake. I remember reading about a guy who became paralyzed after hitting a tree to avoid an animal on the road. VERY scary.

When Im drivin on rural road, brake,brake,brake is always on back of my mind..natural instinct, I guess

Deer like little daylight after sunset b/c they see and eat same time,it's comfortable to them..at night, they roam! I saw several of them last night..They're always at the same location goofin around..I think that's their meetin location. I had to drop off a mail that was important...I only go 40mph in that area..I see tire marks all the time... and several dead deer..smh. 1/4 mile from my house.

Back in 1900s, deer was wiped out in Ohio and I'd like to see that happen again in my state.

Back