Is your States Department Vocational Rehabilitation sufficient help you?

Kalista

Premium Member
Reaction score
Dear Deaf Clients,

Is your State Department Vocational Rehabilitation sufficient help you to find the jobs? Do they provider you a training job at your workforce? Do your workforce gives you any a better career or promotion?

I did ask my DVR couneslor for a hearing aid few years ago. I have still not receive it since. ** sigh ** The States should hire more deaf couneslors to work the deaf people. The states cuts alot of budget, it is hurt to the deaf community. They only focus on speicalist disabilities more than deaf clients. The States in this country negelect our need for the deaf services.

I was told that DVR has limit to pay College tuition up to four years unless they are passed the grades. DVR constantly support those students. It is not 100% to pay their tuition due to State budget cuts.

Last edited:
It is your job to constantly to bother them to help you.

It is just their policy.

My rehabilitation couneslor is very very slow at answering me. I finally got a meeting with my couneslor about 2 to 3 weeks after I was transferred there from a different city. It took many emails and phone calls to try to get in touch with her.

It has been one week after the first meeting with her to discuss how I can get help to find a job. I have turned over a resume of mine. 3 days ago I got an email from a different person in the office with suggestions on how to improve my resume and I sent her a new modified resume. I'm just sitting around and waiting for them to do something.

That is just how it is.

It is your job to constantly to bother them to help you.

Absolutely !! I do bug her alot. DVR Deaf couneslor only works in two agencies with over 55 clients in two towns. She is very overwhelming with two towns in Worcester and Natick. When the state cuts more employees which is impossible to resolve clients's situation.

Alot of Deaf and Hard of Hearing people are complaining for postpone or cancel appointments. I have seen there are more than DVR agencies to help with Deaf/HoH clients like at Massachusetts Commission for the Deaf, DEAF, Inc and Massachusetts Associate for the Deaf, etc....

Find out the contact information of the state Director of Rehabilitation..and file a complaint.

Originally posted by SilenceGold
Find out the contact information of the state Director of Rehabilitation..and file a complaint.

Oh yeah, alot of the clients do this. The director can't do anything about this situation. It is the State budget cuts which is very hurtful our service.

We have to move on to find another agency to help other clients instead of wait for DVR couneslor.

Hope, your State will help you to find a job as soon as possible ! Why can't you apply assist teacher at Ark School for the Deaf. Deaf students really need a Deaf teacher with ASL fluently with a good English writer like you do.

Your writer English is awesome !

Originally posted by Sabrina
Oh yeah, alot of the clients do this. The director can't do anything about this situation. It is the State budget cuts which is very hurtful our service.

We have to move on to find another agency to help other clients instead of wait for DVR couneslor.

Hope, your State will help you to find a job as soon as possible ! Why can't you apply assist teacher at Ark School for the Deaf. Deaf students really need a Deaf teacher with ASL fluently with a good English writer like you do.

Your writer English is awesome !

I have thought about it..but the problem is..I don't know who to contact. :(

My DVR counselor helped me a lot with finding a job and placing me where I want to work. They helped me with paying for flashing lights for doorbell, baby cry alert, and phone ringing. I haven't had any problem with my DVR counselor. I was the one who always contacted them for help and sometimes they replied immediately, sometimes, they didn't. I have had other agencies helping me as well.

Right now, I don't need their help anymore, because I am working happily, and my needs are already met. :D

YEARS ago i had filed a complaint with an old VR counselor to her supervisor and he started investigations and found that she was not really doing her job and in the end she got fired :-x

yes u can file complaint with the counselor's supervisor and CC it to the federal office of mental health i believe that has control over VR and other agencies -- best to file in writing so that way u have the correspondence in writing and dated

but right now with the economy being on shaky grounds -- alot of funds are frozen putting priority on those with multiple disabilities (ie: mental health needs, physical needs in ref to wheelchair and such, group home clients who are mentally challenged and etc)

I never had any problems with my VR counselor when I was attending Junior college between the years of 1989 to 1996. Always was responsive to what I needed and paid for all my tutition fees and books, etc.
I guess it varies from state to state...Mine was in California.

I have no problem with my VR. I get full support for college. He gave me partial support until I made a deal with him. I asked him that if I could keep my grades up, he would give me full support. So far, I've kept my GPA above 3.0, which allows him to give me full support.

I haven't had any problem with my VR counselor for the past two years I've had her. However, this past spring, she's taken on a new job and had to retire from being my counselor, so I'm without a counselor at the moment. The supervisor is handling my case and all the cases she handled until they find someone to be the new counselor. I have full support from VR and I always let them know what goes on (when I need interpreters for what classes, etc.) They bought me new hearing aids, tty, alarm clock, and this year a door alert. So far, no complaints about VR in Indiana.

well, OVR SUCKS. they only pay tution, but not other like dorms, materials, blah. when i see deafies with FULL SUPPORT, i start hate them cuz i had my OVR when i went gallaudet and that cheap OVR only paid my tution.

There is a reason for them not paying full for your education. Usually it is because your skills as a college student is not exactly up to par or lack of commitment. You have to bug them, prove, and file paperwork with them to get full support. VR is not "free money" as you think! You have to work your ass off to get it!

i agree with Deaf258 work ur ass off to make a deal and show commitments. Mine was great and i had no plm with the CA Vr, now i heard theres new ones and thier not doing the job up to par causing rackets and plms.

Deaf258 said:
There is a reason for them not paying full for your education. Usually it is because your skills as a college student is not exactly up to par or lack of commitment. You have to bug them, prove, and file paperwork with them to get full support. VR is not "free money" as you think! You have to work your ass off to get it!
:werd:

It's important to do a good job in school. It's like working. The better you work, the higher pay you do. If you just "do the job", then you're likely to get small raises or none at all. If you just meet your VR's GPA expectations like 2.0 or something, you'll get the samer response... little support. I had half support until I made a deal with my VR asking him for full support if I did very well in school. I proved it by making the dean's list for my first quarter at RIT. I've been maintaining a 3.0 gpa since. :)

I had no problem with my VR counselor. I had to have him for college reason, I got covered almost half of my tuition which really saved a lot of money for a year. After I left school, I decided to search for a job on my own. I was really stubborn and refused to go to VR because I thought I could find a job on my own like I did the last time before college. I had no luck for like 6 months, neither I've tried to get a job through my friends. (I live on Long Island, so it's harder to find a job after 9/11 than you think). So, I finally gave up and decided to go to VR's help to get me through stupid evaluation and then within a week after my evaluation I got a job just like this *snap* I was very surprised and happy about this.... I really like my job not only because of work, everyone there was very nice and all. Been working there for a couple of months, just started learning how to do payroll. :thumb:

Last time I had VR in Dallas and think it is great to help but find out they are not helpful much with me. Only they do helpful with NTID or GALLY not those ppl who want their help and attention. No way make them get ourselves help so we have to do on our OWN needs.

I had no problem with VR Counselor! But, VR cannot allow to pay for tution the college class. I say a good new for you can use Pell Grant is free for you. NOt VR use to pay support for you. But, if VR can help to get Hearing Aid, TDD, or etc. Not use college class for tution ok. I do had my TDD that VR help me. I thank VR for gift to my TDD! I am happy!

I get full support from my VR. I had partial support years ago until I made a deal with her. We agreed that if I did well during my first quarter, she would give me full support. I made the dean's list during the first quarter so she kept her promise and gave me full support. Today, I maintain a cumulative GPA of above 3.0, so I still get my full support. :thumb:

VamPyroX said:
I get full support from my VR. I had partial support years ago until I made a deal with her. We agreed that if I did well during my first quarter, she would give me full support. I made the dean's list during the first quarter so she kept her promise and gave me full support. Today, I maintain a cumulative GPA of above 3.0, so I still get my full support. :thumb:

Congrats !! Obviously, you are isolate in your room most of the time. :) No party !! * pat on your shoulder * :D

Back