Is your States Department Vocational Rehabilitation sufficient help you?

hmph, my college tutition is currently covered by VR but my college choices were VERY restricted because VR will only pay state level of price settled for their state universities. i SO wanted to go to a local art institute but it was not a goverment funded so VR wouldn't pay the full.. and I cannot get Pell Grant or FASFA because of my mother's "over-the-ceiling" income. Funny, my mother won't pay for my college (busy paying off my brother's college loans... he is 10 years older than me but we are the same- first year freshman. His seniority won my mother over. damn him.) :sure: so I got stuck in the crossfires and have to give up my dream of going to an art insitute and go to a local state university but i am definitly eyeing on that art institute for graduate program! If I have proved myself to be an excellent student at SDSU for 4 full years and acquire a BA, then i should charm them to help finacing me thru that art institute. :fingersx:
Although I do have the similar problems with couple of first posts about slow-services... I got the worst time-wise VR conseulor (he is INFAMOUS among the San Diegans because everybody has him and he never has time for ALL OF US!) and it is SOO ironic because i always bump into him in deaf gatherings in the nights and i was thinking, "hmph, we could use this time useful if we just haul back to your office and get some paperwork going!" because everytime he is free, that is when I have my friggging class :madfawk: ohhhh weeeeeeellllllll....... remember- VR is part of Government... the US Government is a little... :crazy: sooo don't put too much money on the speed-services of the gov't. ;)

my VR's kinda lousy cuz I sent her email 3 time in one month and never replied so I sent her 4th email telling her if she doesn't reply me within 3 business day and I will call to annoy her or even show up her office, she end up sending me short email. Then I ask her I need help on finding job and she set me up a appointment with her a month ahead from now so I ask another person to call that VR to see when the next available appointment she had, she had next week available which she's a SOB, sorry about that, and I already found a job but it wasn't I want and I email my VR that she wait too long and I told her that I might have to postpone it cuz I will be working full time now she's pissed off at me...it was her fault for not helping me much...VR can kiss my ass.

pimpdaddyposse said:
my VR's kinda lousy cuz I sent her email 3 time in one month and never replied so I sent her 4th email telling her if she doesn't reply me within 3 business day and I will call to annoy her or even show up her office, she end up sending me short email. Then I ask her I need help on finding job and she set me up a appointment with her a month ahead from now so I ask another person to call that VR to see when the next available appointment she had, she had next week available which she's a SOB, sorry about that, and I already found a job but it wasn't I want and I email my VR that she wait too long and I told her that I might have to postpone it cuz I will be working full time now she's pissed off at me...it was her fault for not helping me much...VR can kiss my ass.

Then, talk to your high Boss VR. The high Boss take care of it.

pimpdaddyposse said:

WOW! :eek2:

Oooooohhhhhhhhhh! This gonna be an interesting thread! I've got my fill of plenty of clients bum rapping California VR even once I had 5 deafies showing up my office to complain of VR. And I publish my scientific findings on VR's performance only to to be told im incorrect and stuff and even today as we speak several clients already lost their transportation benefits from VR like I been 'crying wolf' about as deaf VR's head honcho says! So what's the head of VR's deaf services doing to tell me I'm innaccurate!

Richard

Last edited:
I had a bitch fuckin ignore me so changed VR person btw VR pays books, tuition, and my transportation on campus bus and even bought me a scooter cuz cant walk well so use electric scooter. All this shit about my scooter took months I told VR you gonna need to speed up or gonna need rent me one. End up rent me one cuz they was too slow. School started soon. I'm glad it is all pretty much goin smooth now.

gnarlydorkette said:
hmph, my college tutition is currently covered by VR but my college choices were VERY restricted because VR will only pay state level of price settled for their state universities. i SO wanted to go to a local art institute but it was not a goverment funded so VR wouldn't pay the full.. and I cannot get Pell Grant or FASFA because of my mother's "over-the-ceiling" income. Funny, my mother won't pay for my college (busy paying off my brother's college loans... he is 10 years older than me but we are the same- first year freshman. His seniority won my mother over. damn him.) :sure: so I got stuck in the crossfires and have to give up my dream of going to an art insitute and go to a local state university but i am definitly eyeing on that art institute for graduate program! If I have proved myself to be an excellent student at SDSU for 4 full years and acquire a BA, then i should charm them to help finacing me thru that art institute. :fingersx:
Although I do have the similar problems with couple of first posts about slow-services... I got the worst time-wise VR conseulor (he is INFAMOUS among the San Diegans because everybody has him and he never has time for ALL OF US!) and it is SOO ironic because i always bump into him in deaf gatherings in the nights and i was thinking, "hmph, we could use this time useful if we just haul back to your office and get some paperwork going!" because everytime he is free, that is when I have my friggging class :madfawk: ohhhh weeeeeeellllllll....... remember- VR is part of Government... the US Government is a little... :crazy: sooo don't put too much money on the speed-services of the gov't. ;)

I understand how you feel, I went through before...I used to be Gallaudet University student...my old VR wont cover my cost at college because of my parents have high income earning plus they refuse to help me. It made more burden on me...but I was thankful for one thing is learn how to develop responsbility with searching for available financial aid...but I left Gallaudet University and didnt return to college for approx 7 years...I finally got my own ass back in college...but this time with new coool VR counselor. So VR did cover 80 percent of my college fee but from my view to this it isnt bad...I had some loan added but not heavy loan (thank God). I found out from my VR counselor this she contacted FAFSA for further information...FAFSA informed this most average students who graduate from college will end up in debt of loan at average $60,000 and above image this...Thank God (praise the Lord) this I am not one of them...because I searched for financial aid hard and put up with it to cover whatever left of it. I got BA degree smile!

VR situation is NOTHING NEW!!!!

I realized all people with disability alway complain and complain toward lack of service from VR office...it is nothing new...I works close with deaf consumers...I heard countless stories from them complain how VR was not rolling up their sleeve and give sweat to meet their needs. I did meet with one of VR counselor to follow up, she blah how good service she provided toward deaf and hoh consumer. I walked out of the office in my mind, she is full of baloney! I looked at countless of complain...VR always sit and act turtle..they want money from government. But some VR are very good service...I knew one of my personal VR counselor is best, she always make sure I have the all of things I needed for college. She is so sweet, later on we became good friend.

I have a new counselor. I keep getting new counselor like right now he's my 5th new counselor. And I heard he's mean.

SilenceGold said:
It is your job to constantly to bother them to help you.

Bug them at their homes if you have to and get their neighbors involved. It works!

Richard Roehm

Well the VR in Virginia is awful because the counselor position in my local area keeps changing and there's never a person who keeps the position for more than 4 months. So, as of now, I am paying my college bill fully without a cent from the VR.

VR :rifle:

Mazzie said:
Well the VR in Virginia is awful because the counselor position in my local area keeps changing and there's never a person who keeps the position for more than 4 months. So, as of now, I am paying my college bill fully without a cent from the VR.

VR :rifle:

Me too, I also heard about Northern Virginia area..
they kept changing...
Except there was only one VR counselor still there and
she has been making over $90K a year doing very little !!!
She even told me that she have over 100 clients.
The higher number of clients, the lower quality...
if u know what I mean.... They seem to care
about getting the high numbers, not the quality itself.
The more higher numbers of clients, they get more
money regardless of the quality itself.

gnarlydorkette said:

didnt get to read this old post until now. i feel you!!! i got an early acceptance from a private art school, my VR could not support and thats how i lost all of my 4 years worth of dreaming to get into that school. instead i attended a state school in california where VR could support. :-/ it didnt go well as i expected because it doesnt have good art program.

to anyone, is it possible to get your VR support you without being on SSI? recently, i tried to get a hold of my VR to discuss about doing this without being on SSI and he said hes not doing that. so im gonna set a meeting to discuss further about it. :sure:

Last edited:
Back