Is There A Difference?

Hockey94

Reaction score
I'm curious because I was taught in the Sign Exact English or English Sign Language when I was younger, and was wondering if there is a noticable difference between ASL and ESL?

It just feels like people are using ASL alot now.

I don't sign anymore though, but I would like to pick it up again.

I'm curious because I was taught in the Sign Exact English or English Sign Language when I was younger, and was wondering if there is a noticable difference between ASL and ESL?
Yes, there is.

ASL is a language. SEE is a sign system.

"ESL" means English as a second language. It refers to classes to teach non-English speakers (such as Spanish or Japanese speakers) how to use English.

There is no such thing as English sign language. British people use British Sign Language, and Americans use American Sign Language.

It just feels like people are using ASL alot now.
People have been using ASL for over 200 years. It's use has been suppressed at different times over the years but it has never died out. SEE was a more recent invention during the 20th century, originally as a tool for educators. It was never a legitimate language.

I don't sign anymore though, but I would like to pick it up again.
I hope you do. :)

Look for an authentic ASL class, not a "sign" class.

Thanks Reba! This time you beat me to it!

(I saw this while on my BB ... and didn't want to write a big long answer on it)

Thanks Reba! This time you beat me to it!

(I saw this while on my BB ... and didn't want to write a big long answer on it)
Understand. I'm the same way with my BB. :giggle:

i use bsl...more people are using asl bsl which ever for other things .people with epilepsy are using it beause it hard to verbalise ...i think there youtube lessons in asl that is aimed at this other than deafness and it a great help,i think it great educational and medical people should be able to do it even if they never use it with deaf person

i use bsl...more people are using asl bsl which ever for other things .people with epilepsy are using it because it hard to verbalise ...i think there youtube lessons in asl that is aimed at this other than deafness and it a great help,i think it great educational and medical people should be able to do it even if they never use it with deaf person

Epilepsy ? Perhaps you mean Cerebral Palsy, Autism or something else?
Typically, people who have Epilepsy don't have communication issues, except of course during a seizure.

Back