Is it possible to install Windows 8.1 on a Gateway laptop (Year 2009)?

Classic message: The Highlander said AIM 5.9 is better than new AIM. :lol: :cool2:

You still have good memory and it's damn right! Sad, I gave it up for Pidgin.

Right now, I use Pidgin due multi-clients as AIM, google talk, msn, and FB. All in one for Windows and Adium for OSX.

Wirelessly posted (ZTE X501 Phone)

People with knowledge of how the rules work. That's how I found out that the requirements for attending college if I'm funded by VR are real stringent, and that's not something I am likely to follow.

You won't go to college for free just because of VR's rules?

MangaReader said:

People with knowledge of how the rules work. That's how I found out that the requirements for attending college if I'm funded by VR are real stringent, and that's not something I am likely to follow.

Hold it right there. I never said that-- I wouldn't mind going, and what I meant by not being likely to follow their rules is that I have the mentality to be prepared for anything, and if something that takes higher priority than a college class (like a family emergency), then I'm gonna attend to said higher priority, and if I'm needed back home, then so be it. That's what I meant. Their rules says I must go to school on a daily basis, and for me, that's not possible, cause I'm a night owl.

Hold it right there. I never said that-- I wouldn't mind going, and what I meant by not being likely to follow their rules is that I have the mentality to be prepared for anything, and if something that takes higher priority than a college class (like a family emergency), then I'm gonna attend to said higher priority, and if I'm needed back home, then so be it.
Being prepared for emergencies and expecting something dire to happen at any moment are two different things. One can be prepared and continue one's daily life.

In the case of real family emergencies, most schools will work with you so you don't have to make an either-or kind of choice.

That's what I meant. Their rules says I must go to school on a daily basis, and for me, that's not possible, cause I'm a night owl.
I doubt that the rules say that you must go to school on a daily basis. There are many school schedules that don't even meet on a daily basis.

If you are such a night owl, how do you post during the day, and run all your errands during the day? Obviously you can function during at least part of the day. If you prefer staying up at night then do your class reading and homework at that time. No problem.

The key is to search for solutions, not excuses.

I had full-time job and almost full-time student for 3 years.

7am-5pm for job then 7-10pm for college. What's your excuses?

The Highlander said:
I had full-time job and almost full-time student for 3 years.

7am-5pm for job then 7-10pm for college. What's your excuses?

Don't have any. I just don't feel ready to dive back into school just yet, because I was in school from the age of 2 all the way to the age of 21, and I started in 1985, and ended in 2005, and it's been eight years since I ended my school career, and I'm more into learning to be tech savvy than to get back to school. To be honest, I kinda wish I had magazine subscriptions to all kinds of technology information, so I could better educate myself about the various kinds of technology available today, and make the best choice possible. Now, my knowledge of technology is already pretty good, but I want to better understand how certain software works, like Apple, for example, and Firefox. I'm always up for trying new stuff, but some of my friends have had bad experiences or whatnot with the similar technology, and that's what makes me apprehensive to try it, cause these are reliable friends. Now, I may not jump head first into something new, but I'd like to know how it works first, and better understand it before making a purchase.

Don't have any. I just don't feel ready to dive back into school just yet, because I was in school from the age of 2 all the way to the age of 21, and I started in 1985, and ended in 2005, and it's been eight years since I ended my school career, and I'm more into learning to be tech savvy than to get back to school.
Oh, please. I probably have more years in school than you have on this planet! :lol:

I wish I could continue going to school until I die (I might just do that). I love to learn new things.

I realize not everyone loves school. However, let me reassure you that college is not high school. Your relationship with your instructor won't be the same as it was in grade school. Your classes (for the most part) shouldn't be like they were when you were a kid. Your motivation should also be different.

You can continue to become more tech savvy on your own but taking courses helps to guide you in a structured way so you learn things in sequence and don't skip anything. Also, you get to ask questions of your instructors, get tutoring help, and join student organizations where you can share ideas with your peers.

To be honest, I kinda wish I had magazine subscriptions to all kinds of technology information, so I could better educate myself about the various kinds of technology available today, and make the best choice possible.
I know this is an antiquated suggestion but they still have libraries.

If you can read a magazine, you can read a text book. They all come with DVDs and/or access codes for additional on-line resources.

Now, my knowledge of technology is already pretty good, but I want to better understand how certain software works, like Apple, for example, and Firefox. I'm always up for trying new stuff, but some of my friends have had bad experiences or whatnot with the similar technology, and that's what makes me apprehensive to try it, cause these are reliable friends. Now, I may not jump head first into something new, but I'd like to know how it works first, and better understand it before making a purchase.
When you do get a new computer, keep the old one for "experimenting."

Also, that's another reason to join a college organization. Our group had a workshop where we met together and helped each other assemble used computers that we could keep and take home after. The computers are kind of old and klunky but they're perfect for practicing new skills without messing up valuable family computers.

My college also offers tech students access to free software to download, including Windows OS and Office products.

It's hard work but it can be very rewarding.

Hold it right there. I never said that-- I wouldn't mind going, and what I meant by not being likely to follow their rules is that I have the mentality to be prepared for anything, and if something that takes higher priority than a college class (like a family emergency), then I'm gonna attend to said higher priority, and if I'm needed back home, then so be it. That's what I meant. Their rules says I must go to school on a daily basis, and for me, that's not possible, cause I'm a night owl.

Most common VR rule - you require to maintain 2.0 on GPA (semester and cumulative), full time (12 credits) and limitation on major changes (they usually pay about up to 10 semesters). VR is different from state to state, they will pay for tuition, but they may not pay for board and room, so varies with states, even worst cases, VR in few states won't pay college education at all. The clients with medical condition are exempt from VR rule, especially full time and 10 semesters, but they need to maintain 2.0 on GPA.

Do you have medical condition that prevent you from becoming a productive citizen? Anxiety disorder?

I have deal with anxiety disorder, IBS, nerve pain and headache everyday, so anxiety disorder is one of worst thing that I have experienced. I'm not worried about IBS because Metamucil fixed the digestive issue, but it still cause short time abdominal pain with gas over time. I take Aleve about almost everyday for headache and nerve pain. I'm still student at four years university, doing a lot of chores and yard works. I have Usher Syndrome as well - more limited on job opportunities.

Oh, please. I probably have more years in school than you have on this planet! :lol:

I wish I could continue going to school until I die (I might just do that). I love to learn new things.

I realize not everyone loves school. However, let me reassure you that college is not high school. Your relationship with your instructor won't be the same as it was in grade school. Your classes (for the most part) shouldn't be like they were when you were a kid. Your motivation should also be different.

You can continue to become more tech savvy on your own but taking courses helps to guide you in a structured way so you learn things in sequence and don't skip anything. Also, you get to ask questions of your instructors, get tutoring help, and join student organizations where you can share ideas with your peers.

I know this is an antiquated suggestion but they still have libraries.

If you can read a magazine, you can read a text book. They all come with DVDs and/or access codes for additional on-line resources.

When you do get a new computer, keep the old one for "experimenting."

Also, that's another reason to join a college organization. Our group had a workshop where we met together and helped each other assemble used computers that we could keep and take home after. The computers are kind of old and klunky but they're perfect for practicing new skills without messing up valuable family computers.

My college also offers tech students access to free software to download, including Windows OS and Office products.

It's hard work but it can be very rewarding.

Yes, high school and college are very different.

High school teacher: Do you need help? Nagging at students for not brush their hair, explain, explain, explain, point at class rule, move the seat position to front area, tell you to quiet, explain about assignments, class at 8 am everyday, turn cell phone off until 3 pm, no food or drink in class. If you absent from class so they call your parent. Hurry up, hurry up, hurry up, the class ends at 3 pm and turn assignment in on teacher's desk. Students pick on you for fun.

College professor: Expectation, expectation, expectation, doesn't say about you at all unless you come and ASK, doesn't care about food or drink in class, keep your cell phone in your pocket, not come to class so they mark as absent but won't call your parent, work at your own pace. No teacher desk, you have go to their office if you want to see them. You are ADULT and you are responsible to take care of academic progress, syllabus, syllabus, syllabus, students treat you with respect.

If you disrespect.

High school teacher: Go to see a principal's office.

College professor: Kick you out of class - please leave my class.

Punishment

High school: detention hall after school for 1 hour with 100 sentences saying "I will not disrespect my teacher".

College: Nothing, unless code of conduct's office, student affair's office or dean office want you to see them, that usually for repeated offenses and continuous of kick out from class.

If you refuse to leave the class, per professor's order so you could arrested by police department and taken to jail - only if you refuse to take police's order.

Don't have any. I just don't feel ready to dive back into school just yet, because I was in school from the age of 2 all the way to the age of 21, and I started in 1985, and ended in 2005, and it's been eight years since I ended my school career, and I'm more into learning to be tech savvy than to get back to school. To be honest, I kinda wish I had magazine subscriptions to all kinds of technology information, so I could better educate myself about the various kinds of technology available today, and make the best choice possible. Now, my knowledge of technology is already pretty good, but I want to better understand how certain software works, like Apple, for example, and Firefox. I'm always up for trying new stuff, but some of my friends have had bad experiences or whatnot with the similar technology, and that's what makes me apprehensive to try it, cause these are reliable friends. Now, I may not jump head first into something new, but I'd like to know how it works first, and better understand it before making a purchase.

Guess what? Your English looks better than mine and I worked my ass off to passed two programs at Scott Community College and I got two associates degrees with honor rolls for auto and diesel mechanics in two years ago. I have dyslexia You had no idea how hard I did at college and I believe colleges are much EASY than high school. Why? High school have too many classes and too many homework for me to study/read/write. That's why I got grade C average for most classes. College? Only 2-3 classes and I got an A mostly times.

I got headache so easy after LONG read like 20-40 pages from the book due dyslexic.

Guess what? Your English looks better than mine and I worked my ass off to passed two programs at Scott Community College and I got two associates degrees with honor rolls for auto and diesel mechanics in two years ago. I have dyslexia You had no idea how hard I did at college and I believe colleges are much EASY than high school. Why? High school have too many classes and too many homework for me to study/read/write. That's why I got grade C average for most classes. College? Only 2-3 classes and I got an A mostly times.

I got headache so easy after LONG read like 20-40 pages from the book due dyslexic.

Eh. I've always been quite the good speller, although I do have a funny story.

One spring day in 2004, I was in class with a friend of mine, and the teacher asked us some very difficult questions and asked the meaning of said words, and the funny part is, my friend had no clue what they meant, but for some odd reason, I did, and that led the teacher to ask me if I had cheated and peeked at the assignment, and I told her I didn't even know where to look, and then she asked me if I'd slept on a dictionary, because I could describe the meaning of said words without ever looking them up, and to this day, I have not a clue how that happened.

Back