Is it possible to install Windows 8.1 on a Gateway laptop (Year 2009)?

ChicagoBlue2

Veteran Traveler
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wirelessly posted (ZTE X501 Phone/Asus Tablet)

I've been wondering this for a while, and decided some feedback was needed. I like the laptop I have now, and I am considering buying the software for installation on my laptop, which is a 2009 Gateway laptop, and according to Microsoft, there aren't many older laptops that would accept the new software, and I am wondering if the 2009 model would?

Feedback/comments are welcome. I need as much as possible, because I'm thinking about getting that software soon-- possibly at the end of January or in the spring.

So true! 2009 laptop could have features on it that was from 2004!

I don't care how old it is. Always post full model or hardware spec.

I wouldn't recommend Windows 8 at all, win8 have changed a lot and it was designed to behave like any tablets would do. I have Win8 and I am NOT impressed with it, EVEN that it is on brand new gamer computer that I build last month, some of them could come from 2009 for all I care.

Remind you that not all software will work with Windows 8! for example, I have ODB scanner tool with me, it will work with Windows ME, XP, and 7 but not windows 8. I tried to get it work but was told by their tech support that windows 8 isn't supported.

What OS does the Gateway have now? Why do you think it's necessary to upgrade to W8?

Use the MS OS requirements tool and it will tell you if your computer is ready for W8.

I wouldn't recommend Windows 8 at all, win8 have changed a lot and it was designed to behave like any tablets would do. I have Win8 and I am NOT impressed with it, EVEN that it is on brand new gamer computer that I build last month, some of them could come from 2009 for all I care.

Remind you that not all software will work with Windows 8! for example, I have ODB scanner tool with me, it will work with Windows ME, XP, and 7 but not windows 8. I tried to get it work but was told by their tech support that windows 8 isn't supported.

I built my powerful hardware from 2007 and just upgraded new hardware as SSD (1 month ago) and GPU (around 2 years ago) then it's works smooth for my Windows 7 as gamer.

I don't bother upgrade to Windows 8 due limited apps and hardware.

Wirelessly posted (ZTE X501 Phone)

The Highlander said:

I built my powerful hardware from 2007 and just upgraded new hardware as SSD (1 month ago) and GPU (around 2 years ago) then it's works smooth for my Windows 7 as gamer.

I don't bother upgrade to Windows 8 due limited apps and hardware.

If Windows 8 isn't recommended, then what DO you recommend I upgrade to? I need to have some kind of good hardware I can use. Suggestions?

Reba said:
What OS does the Gateway have now? Why do you think it's necessary to upgrade to W8?

Use the MS OS requirements tool and it will tell you if your computer is ready for W8.

It's just a thought. I don't necessarily WANT to upgrade to Windows 8; I'm looking for a good replacement for XP, while still maintaing the same laptop and features, and that includes my VP options, which I must have for any reason.

leave it in xp. why pay a premium for OS to be installed on OLD computer that could conk tomorrow. Next you will try to swap out parts to limp it along.

When my friends ask me if they can upgrade to newer OS or up memory/processor, if it more then 3 years it becomes iffy. If it 5-6 years its a dinosaur regardless how great it runs. Installing something new on a old pc is like a shock to the system accelerating the demise hence the reason i refuse to help as they will point fingers at me saying but it ran great before i gave it to you.... :roll: I will only wipe HD and reinstall the original OS and do all updates before returning.

If you want something faster and you have the know how to mess with linux then by all means do it. Otherwise, leave it alone.

It's just a thought. I don't necessarily WANT to upgrade to Windows 8; I'm looking for a good replacement for XP, while still maintaing the same laptop and features, and that includes my VP options, which I must have for any reason.
Like the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

If you eventually get a new computer that runs on W8, keep this old XP as a backup.

People are content where they are at. Some people just don't want to change or keep up with the technology. Problem is technology forces us to change and adapt in order to keep up with it.

I agree, I hate W8 but only because I don't understand my way around it. My son has it and he likes it.

If Windows 8 isn't recommended, then what DO you recommend I upgrade to? I need to have some kind of good hardware I can use. Suggestions?

Again, What's your model and hardware spec? Why so hard to answer the question?

Again, What's your model and hardware spec? Why so hard to answer the question?

To actually answer your question, I had to do some looking up, and this is what I found:

My Computer told me the following information:

Microsoft Windows XP

Version 2002

Service Pack 3

76477-OEM-0011903-00100

CPU N270 @ 1.60 GHz; 0.99 RAM

Hope that helps you.

Single core at 1.6 ghz?!? You should not buy a laptop/netbook with Atom Intel because it's shitty CPU for VP. Stay at Windows XP then.

I use Q4900 @ 2.9 Ghz (overclock) and it have quad cores. It's release from 2008 and it still powerful enough for Windows 8.

The Highlander said:
Single core at 1.6 ghz?!? You should not buy a laptop/netbook with Atom Intel because it's shitty CPU for VP. Stay at Windows XP then.

I use Q4900 @ 2.9 Ghz (overclock) and it have quad cores. It's release from 2008 and it still powerful enough for Windows 8.

First of all, it was a donation, and second d of all, the IE it orginially came with IS shitty, but I upgraded to IE8, and Viola, things are running better than when I got it. Now, as for the laptop itself, it's not exactly ideal, but it'll do for now.

First of all, it was a donation, and second d of all, the IE it orginially came with IS shitty, but I upgraded to IE8, and Viola, things are running better than when I got it. Now, as for the laptop itself, it's not exactly ideal, but it'll do for now.
IE 8 is 4 years old now. IE 10 is out now.

Have you tried Mozilla FireFox?

The Highlander said:
You should try Google Chrome and it's better than IE for security.

That is exactly what I use-- on both my laptop and Asus tablet. My phone, however, is a different story. It's 2.3.6, and not Chrome compatible, but when I upgrade sometime next year, I intend to get one that is.

Reba said:

IE 8 is 4 years old now. IE 10 is out now.

Have you tried Mozilla FireFox?

Is IE 10 free downloadable? If so, I could upgrade to that.

No, I've never used Firefox, and I'm curious-- what exactly is that?

Back